Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Who here can play a picked instrument then?  (Read 6189 times)

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths
    • madfiddler - Electric Violinist

• Total Badges: 44
    Badges: (View All)
    Mobile User Level 7 5000 Posts
Who here can play a picked instrument then?
« on: Jun 09, 2005, 12:55:01 AM »
So, I've got

Encore nasty cheapo rubbish electric guitar - can't play that due to the strings tuned to 4ths, oh and the fret buz is horrific.

Danelectric DC Longhorn re-issue bass, can sort of get my way around that, but not to a standard I'd want anyone to hear...

a something or another electro acoustic mandolin, which while I can do the left hand ok, I have problems strumming the thing... I think this could be something to do with the action as I played a friends mando and found it much easier to strum and pick (I don't have any technique though!).

M
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra membership privileges.

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
Re: Who here can play a picked instrument then?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2005, 01:25:58 AM »
hahah nyah nyah nyah

I can play 6 and 12 string guitar, AND madolin, mandola and Irish bouzouki!

so there!

hee hee ;)

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths

« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2005, 01:52:11 AM »
I know, I'm just a one track wonder... actually, I think I put my lack of mandolin skills down to the rubbish mandolin I have, rather than me just being completely rubbish....

Offline fidla

« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2005, 01:56:04 AM »
Hey Mark,

Send me an email cause I can sell you one of these sweethearts here

for a pittance of the Eastman/Morgan Monroe/Kentucky price. 

That goes for anyone.  We import these directly from Korea.  Well everyone knows by now that Emily speaks Korean.  And we spend a lot of time there.  In fact, I was just there a couple weeks ago.  We were at the factory in Kimpo talking to the owner there...we have a really good price...

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2005, 02:01:16 AM »
Is that an electro-acoustic of an acoustic? not that I have that stuff called cash atm anyway. FH-UK's killing my GAS aspirations atm...

Also by the time shippings added etc. etc. ?

Looks v. cool though...

Offline fidla

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2005, 02:16:07 AM »
Is that an electro-acoustic of an acoustic? not that I have that stuff called cash atm anyway. FH-UK's killing my GAS aspirations atm...

Also by the time shippings added etc. etc. ?

Looks v. cool though...

This sweetheart is acoustic.  And it's sweet...seriously, absolutely gorgeous in tone.  Hand-carved top, hand-installed binding, maple back and sides...they french polish these babies... of course they're not fiddles...but they put extra attention to detail in them

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2005, 02:23:25 AM »
Well it looks great.. but even if I did have cash, it would have to be a plug-in ;)

Offline fidla

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2005, 02:40:50 AM »
Well it looks great.. but even if I did have cash, it would have to be a plug-in ;)

I hear that

I've been talking to Patrick about putting in simple piezo 1/4" pickups...he's open to it.

I think we can do that.  Do you have a preference for pickup electronics?

Offline jessboo

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2005, 04:46:43 AM »
Mandolin and guitar. its the fiddle  that peolpe say I can't play.

Offline joram

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

• Total Badges: 19
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2005, 09:27:05 AM »
I play banjo, guitar and ukelele. I am, however, just starting on the ukelele, but I think I'll tune it DGBA, like the highest guitar strings. I am planning to purchase a flatneck dobro, but I think that'll take a while.

Offline fubbi

• Does your dog bite ?
    • Violinmakers Database

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2005, 01:09:33 PM »
 :P

It all depends on what you mean by 'play'.
I 'play' mandolin like a classical violinist. When I listen to folks like Bill Monroe and Jesse McReynolds, I just curl up in a confused ball of 'how the hell do they do that?'.

I read music. Show me a jig or any Irish music, and I'll pick it for you.
But ask for some real bluegrass and I get a funny feeling...like when you're standing next to cliff and you're afraid you might jump.

But, I do love the instrument.  ;D
I like to watch TV.

Offline farmerjones

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2005, 01:13:25 PM »
Hmm,
Yep, mando, guitar, banjo lastly. Or is it leastly?

SJ

Online Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2005, 01:16:50 PM »
Not me...

I have a really nice Squier Strat that I can play to the point where someone will ask me to: "Please go back to the keyboards!"

I got it for my studio in case I need to ask a guitarist to come in and play something for me. It was hand-picked for my by a really good guitar player. I asked him to find me one with a great neck, and good action. He loved this particular one, and a couple of other players have since agreed.

But me play it? Not flipping likely!

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Colleydawg

Nineth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2005, 04:01:56 PM »
In addition to the fiddle, I also play the 5-string banjo; play it in the 3-finger Scruggs-style, been playing the banjo since I was 7 (that was 38 years ago!).

Although I still consider the banjo to be my primary instrument, I actually started playing the fiddle first.  My dad started me out on the fiddle when I was 3(!), but after a couple of years, I had sort of fizzled out.  But, over the years, I keep coming back to this instrument and now play it more often than I do the banjo, altho I try to keep up my chops on both! 

I've even gotten serious enough about the fiddle to take formal lessons for the past 2 years.  It has really helped with my technique, even though my instructor teaches Texas-style fiddle, rather than bluegrass.

Gene
a.k.a. Colleydawg

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2005, 04:11:08 PM »
I can play the guitar fairly well, I just don't bother ever practising it - it only comes out for gigs and I prefer to use it for songs, cos I like to play the piano on tunes more (If I'm not fiddling). I can also get a few tunes out of a mandolin, and I love playing around on mandolas and bouzoukis, but I don't have one of either, so one of them'll be my next purchase! After my exams, over the summer, when I have nothing to do but play music and cause trouble I'm going to play loads of mandolin and try and get more competent on that. The Bowed Psaltery can also be plucked - bow the main notes and, if you're feeling brave or stupid you can pluck out chords with your other hand. I end up with a few 7ths and 6ths etc thrown in normally though - it's really difficult to tell which strings you want! Do the double bass and bass guitar count, cos I can play them too!?!

At the moment my thing is reed instruments though, so strings other than the fiddle are taking a bit of a back seat generally.

Offline VinnyRay

• www.Fusiontunes.net
    • Vinny Ray, Violinist/Mandolinist

Super Combination Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2005, 07:40:29 PM »
Hello.
I do a Jazz/Funk thing on a 5-string electric mandolin.
Besides violin I also play slap Funk Bass.

If you enjoy that type music on electric violins and mandolins I have music posted at www.Fusiontunes.net

If you know of any other mandolin/fiddle  players doing this type show please inform me. I would like to find some like minded individuals.

Vinny Ray

Offline Anthony

• Total Badges: 24
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2005, 08:42:26 PM »
I play 5-string banjo (Scuggs & Melodic styles) 6-string, 12-string and bass guitar (rock/country/blues).

Mark,

Before I gave up on that mandolin I'd take it a good shop and see if it can be set-up any better. Fret buzz can be a loose fret wire, nut groove filed to deep, bridge not set right. Bad action can often be improved with a new or reshaped bridge/saddle or nut. If its hard to pick and strum amother thing you might want to look at is the age and gauge of the strings (lighter gauge string are easier to play). Ten years ago when I started playing banjo, every note I fretted was sharp, the banjo was in tune still every note was sharp except the open strings, the problem was a number of things. nut wires where to tall, nut grooves where not filed deep enough neck needed adjustment. $60.00 and a week in the repair shop made it play like a brand new banjo.

I find it odd, the number of folks playing string instruments other then violin, who never think about setup.

Anthony

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths

« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2005, 10:12:35 PM »
Cheers anthony. The mando doesn't have fret buzz, but yes perhaps I should try smaller gauge strings to start off with :)

Offline kesh

« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2005, 10:43:31 PM »
Yep I play mando, tenor banjo, mandolas, bouzouki, steel strung & classical guitars, electric bass, ukulele, & basically anything with or without frets.

As for your mando problem Mark, I suspect the problem lies either with the bridge curvature, or lack of it, which may be set to a different radius to the one you like, or not in alignment with the neck, or it could be the spacing of the strings.

Offline skip

• Today is a good day to Fiddle!

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10, 2005, 09:05:44 PM »
Mando, Fiddle, Guitar, Steel Guitar, Dobro, Uke, Drums, Percussion...

it's all one instrument.

skip

Offline garyblanchard

• Old-Time/Good-Time Music
    • Brookfields Music

« Reply #20 on: Jun 10, 2005, 11:45:28 PM »
Gee, what I can't seem to play is the bowed instrument...

I started playing guitar is 1966 and own and play a resonator guitar, acoustic electric, archtop acoustic, and a travel guitar. Started banjo in the late 60's or early 70's and own a Deering Goodtime and a cookie-tin banjo, which I play in my own style that is most like clawhammer. Started mandolin about 2 years ago along with ukulele. Just started playing a Strum Stick which is like a mountain dulcimer. I also play harmonica. I played a bit of electronic keyboard back in the 80's. I am self-taught (no lessons, tab, or videos).

The one instrument that I can't seem to get a handle on is the fiddle. I just can't seem to get the bowing down. I may have to break down and take some lessons. :-\
Gary Blanchard

Offline Arnold Ziffle

« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2005, 04:24:34 AM »
Pedal Steel, Radio, Nose.
Arnold Ziffle

Offline Jess

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #22 on: Jun 12, 2005, 09:45:21 PM »
i "play" mandolin as far as i can twang a few notes out of it that resemble a tune in some way ;D

Offline Pete Hartley

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: Jun 13, 2005, 01:24:20 AM »
I'm a nearly ok jazz mando player (fylde acoustic with fishman bridge). I've got the 5 string mandocaster that I don't play very much, and a semi acoustic Jazz gtr that I'm nearly ok on.

pete

Offline fidla

« Reply #24 on: Jun 13, 2005, 01:35:58 AM »
There's this John Hartford album I think it's Areoplane where Vassar is picking his fiddle with a flatpick...very cool sound!

Offline chuck1

« Reply #25 on: Jun 13, 2005, 06:17:11 PM »
I have a deering deluxe model banjo (abalone added to the peghead) started with 3 finger bluegrass picking....then I bought (or rather my wife did--she actually surprized me with the deering too!) a vega 5 string that was a guitar banjo in the 20's, had a new two piece neck crafted for it a great instrument.

Then I wanted to try fretless playing so I bought an old kay at a garage sale and had a neck made for it...the builder said it would be cheaper to add a ebony board to the neck that has a kinda wavy orangish streak running thru it.  He said know body wants that kink and he would throw it in if I wanted it so I have an orangish streak ebony board on the neck.  Then I found this guy that makes gourd banjo's so I just had to have that fretless too!

Well, I would like a mandolin too!  Maybe someday....chuck

Offline Keeso

« Reply #26 on: Jun 13, 2005, 11:28:15 PM »
Picked instruments are my primary instruments (39 years experience), although I've played piano/keyboards for almost as long, and fiddle for the last two years (after giving it up after a short stint when I was QUITE young).

Picked instruments:

1.) Acoustic guitar, flat-picking and finger-picking styles

2.) Electric guitar -- lead, rhythm, and slide styles (separate guitar set up for slide work)

3.) Electric bass

4.) Mandolin

5.) Banjo (open-back, clawhammer-style)

Non-picked instruments: I also play hamonica and a very little bit of tin whistle and recorder ... used to play flute a bit, noodling around a few recordings I did in folk-related stuff, ended up selling my Gemeinhardt, though.

I owned, for many, many years, at least three different pedal steel guitars (all Sho-Buds) that I used for a few cursory riffs and elemental background stuff on certain recordings, but I sold my last birdseye maple Pro I Sho-Bud to finance my first really good fiddle ... haven't looked back. In two years I've progressed faster with my fiddling than over 20 years with steeling. Steel is something you have to practice with such intensity and to the exclusion of so much else (at least for me) that I figured it was best to put the time into returning to the fiddle and being serious this time around (as opposed to dabbling as a 7 year-old).

I see the fiddle as perhaps (again, for me) fitting in better with all the other instruments, in terms of balancing practice time of these various instruments and how they seem to fit together. Multi-instrumentalism is a challenge anyway, because even when you've been playing long enough that you're at least fairly proficient at all the instruments you play (and much, much better than that on at least a couple, as I am on guitar, bass, and mandolin), you feel that if there is anything that takes too much effort, or any instrument you're just not progressing fast enough on (because of practice time allotments), then maybe it's best to just drop it.

Don't get me wrong: I love pedal steel and think it fits in more musical genres than some might think, but it's a pretty darned hard puppy to master (even minimally). Having said that, who knows ... after a few more years of fiddle under my belt, I'll probably see another beautiful birdseye maple Sho-Bud in the future and think: "Hey ... maybe!" (Maybe this time it'll be a double-neck, and I'll have all kinds of western swing steel fantasies -- C6 neck riffs -- dancing around my brain!) ...

Offline baldgeezer

• Total Badges: 29
    Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2005, 04:22:14 PM »
I've got a beautiful Charvel-Jackson 12-string electro-acoustic (cut-away design). This is a absolute beauty to play - I actually find it easier to play than a 6-string now. I've also got a Fender Strat (which I'm borrowing from a friend).

Just recently started to play the Mandolin. Chords are fine - picking not bad - trilling (or whatever you call it), not a chance! Any tips appreciated!!

-Dave

Offline kesh

« Reply #28 on: Jun 16, 2005, 10:57:23 PM »
Chords are fine - picking not bad - trilling (or whatever you call it), not a chance! Any tips appreciated!!

Do you mean tremolo? --Fast up & down picks to make a note last longer 'cos there's no sustain.

If so, just imagine you have parkinson's in your right hand ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist that even if it was in bad taste. :-[

Actually the knack is in relaxing all right arm muscles and twisting the fore-arm to move the wrist, which in turn moves the hand & pick.  Only slight movements needed 

Offline flatpicknut

• Total Badges: 18
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #29 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:40:33 PM »
I play guitar and banjo (I'm just counting the fretted instruments here), though they (about five acoustic guitars and one banjo) are pouting quite a bit as nearly all my playing time in the last few months has been on the fiddle.

Offline susiakasinead

« Reply #30 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:42:27 PM »
You already know that. I play the mandolin too. At the moment I have plenty of stringed isntruments at home:
My three mandolins: Samick, that is broken and hanging on the wall, my Washburn A mandolin, and my recently bought awesome F-style mandolin from Gold Tone.
My three fiddles: One Chinese cheap thing, on unplayable blue fiddle with a Celtic knot painted on it which my boyfriend gave me for Christmas, and my best fiddle, an unknown thing I got from an old man in church.
My boyfriends guitar, acoustic bass and Washburn mandolin.
I think that's about it. I only play mandolin and fiddle. I know a few chords on the guitar but I can't switch between them smoothly.
Mandolin is my main instrument, and will probably always be.

Offline soundboot

• Total Badges: 29
    Mobile User Quick Poster Search
« Reply #31 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:53:12 PM »
Hey Mark, I think I remember hearing that you had a Crafter mandolin. Is that right? I have one too (I even bought it in Brighton!) and had real problems with it until I bought some light gauge strings for it. Them Crafters have a pretty severe action!

BigJon

« Reply #32 on: Jul 24, 2005, 11:06:07 PM »
I have a fender bluegrass banjo I play scruggs style, a deering goodtime banjo that I play clawhammer/frailing style, an ibanez semi-hollow that I pick, and a martin flattop for strummin.  All sweet instruments to me.  Soon I geuss I'll add fiddle to the list! ;D

Offline David M.

« Reply #33 on: Jul 25, 2005, 04:38:56 PM »
Just now saw this thread.  Yessir, I play mandolin and guitar.  Old timey and bluegrass mandolin.  Finger pick and flatpick guitar.  Travis style country blues and bluegrass flatpickin'.  They're both much better because of the FRETS.  Played guitar for about 30 years.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal