Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: cases?  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Michelle

• hey

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
cases?
« on: Mar 05, 2005, 02:51:59 AM »
which case is prolly the best, one of those hard cases that say if it rained...it woud be more of a protection...

or one of the ones that are lighter, but zips and everything...

I have a KUN shoulder rest, so should I get a rectanglur case? I brought it to my local store, but the store worker gave me a hard time cuz he didn't want me to test out all the cases...??!!  >:(

...so I cant do that... but if a hard case is better, than maybe I'll stick with that one.

-michelle

Offline Anthony

Re: cases?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2005, 05:47:05 AM »
Hey michelle,

I've considered having an aircraft grade aluminum case made for a couple of my instruments, with steel ribs and o-ring seals, something a truck could run over and not crush.

The way I look at it...
to get my banjos, guitars and fiddles,  I've worked a lot of hour, saved for months or years and bought the best, nothing on credit. Some things like my 5-string banjo, built on commission to my specs I could never afford to replace. So when it comes to the case's I carry my instruments in I can't for the life of my see getting anything less then the very best, as far as protection goes.

A good case is as much an investment as your fiddle was. As far as a store clerk who doesn't want to be bothered with doing his job, to hell with him. Tell him to stick his cry baby, whiney butt, snivling attitude in his pocket and show you the cases so you can make an informed desission.

Anthony

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2005, 08:09:54 AM »
I've never understood why violin cases are so expensive but my fiddle is so precious to me that I bought a Musafia case built like a brick outhouse. If I fly again with my instruments, the fiddle will be hand luggage so, the mando will have to go in the hold so, I've just bought a good solid case for that.

Offline corien

Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2005, 12:07:05 PM »
Yeah I'm going to buy a Musafia case as well. It is known as a very good case.

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2005, 02:24:23 PM »
I've got a Carbon Fiber cello case that is just amazing.  Talk about indestructible.

Offline Michelle

• hey

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2005, 02:58:59 AM »
I've got a Carbon Fiber cello case that is just amazing. Talk about indestructible.
is that the one that's very hard cased (not the zipping one)...but it clasps...and it rolls? I could be wrong...but one of our cellos has something that I'm decribing and its VERY VERY indestructable... :)

-michelle

Offline apollonike

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2005, 07:25:40 PM »

I have a KUN shoulder rest, so should I get a rectanglur case? I brought it to my local store, but the store worker gave me a hard time cuz he didn't want me to test out all the cases...??!! >:(

Screw them, it's your instrument.  I care too much about my fiddles to worry about being occasionally impolite.  Besides, and half decent shop is ran by musicians, and they understand...so it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the shoulder rest, worse comes to worse, you can buy one of those little sleeves that hands off the case.  Worry about the instrument.  But you shouldn't have any problems fitting it into an oblong case(go for suspension too).

Offline rcc

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2005, 07:47:40 PM »
If the local store won't let you try out your shoulder rest to see if it fits in the case, then buy the case from somewhere else.

As for which case, other than getting a case and some form of cover like the Mooradian (?) bags, the only people I know of who offer a waterproofing option are Musafia.  That's an option which means you'd probably have to special order the case but if you think you might get seriously rained on while carrying your violin around, it could be worth it.

- Ray

Offline corien

Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2005, 10:31:08 PM »
the only people I know of who offer a waterproofing option are Musafia.

Yeah this picture in the Musafia website is self-explaining  ;D

Offline Richard Martin

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2005, 10:37:50 PM »
in england we have a case maker called hiscox - make pretty good cases - I have a few of  them  - strange to say my choice of case was down to how well they stack - that way my wife wont notice when i sneak a new violin in. square cases stack better (grin) also good for the shoulder rests (i have a thing about kun bravo's) so them fitting in the case is only good news. Not sure if hiscox cases float or not??? I do know for cellists that they do one hell of a good hard case - light strong all you can ask at a very very good price see - http://www.anthonynickoldsviolins.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=hiscoxstudentcellocase - for 160 dont think there is better out there

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2005, 07:26:17 AM »
I have a KUN shoulder rest, so should I get a rectanglur case? I-michelle

With my Musafia, I wrap my shoulder rest in my cleaning cloth and slip it under the neck or behind the scroll.

Offline Fairview Fiddler

Nineth year Anniversary Quick Poster Windows User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2005, 01:48:40 PM »
Mustafas! Wow, talk about a Cadilac of a case but pricey. Strings Mag has a good article about premium cases this month, when money is no object. I like to customize my cases. I tend to buy semi-cheap cases on sale. I have a rectangle shaped case that has 4 bowholders and I didn't like the ribbon they put in so I pulled them out and installed a strip of oak veneer. The veneer comes in rolls with glue backing, you just iron on the veneer and presto, you got a real classy wood trim instead of a cheap ribbon. Next step is disco lights when the case is opened and a suspension system so the case can jump up and down like those hispanic lowrider cars.

Offline spelare

Apple User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2005, 04:50:57 PM »
Since Michelle is looking at Glasser bows, I'm guessing she's not shopping for Musafia cases right now.

I like Bobelock cases.  Johnson strings carries them, as well as others.  The shaped, suspension case is under $100, and unless you're standing outside in the rain for an hour, it's more than sufficient protection.  You can fit a folding Kun in it, alongside the neck, but if you've got a regular Kun, you'll need an oblong (rectangular) case.

All the big online retailers have a big selection of cases.  You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent case now - under $150 gives you a pretty good selection.  Just get a hard case with suspension, is my recommendation, unless you're really carrying the fiddle for miles and miles and a pound or 2 of weight really makes a difference.  The ultralight cases have very little external shell, and are basically styrofoam wrapped in canvas.  They're functional, but I don't like the tradeoff, personally.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2005, 06:12:06 PM by spelare »

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2005, 05:22:59 PM »
I second the recommendation on the Bobelock.  I have one of their low-end oblong suspension cases (I think it's a 1002S) for my second fiddle and I'm really impressed by the value.  It's fairly spartan inside; it has a large single pocket, which easily fits a Kun rest, plus 2 bow holders, string tube and a blanket, and that's it!  But it's really well-made and compares favorably in fit and finish with the high-end Weber case that I use for my main instrument.  I would definitely spend the few bucks extra and get the suspension model; I think it's worth having the extra support.   -Steve

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2005, 12:31:37 AM »
Bobelock is pretty nice.  I like Weber very much.  See www.finecases.com  Actually, finecases.com is a great place for all kinds of cases and information.  Good place.

I'm not really happy with ANY of the cases available.  Currently working on a fiddler's case design with easy functionality.  Should be fun.  Just too little time.

Steve

Offline Michelle

• hey

« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2005, 02:32:28 AM »
Since Michelle is looking at Glasser bows, I'm guessing she's not shopping for Musafia cases right now.

thanks for all the suggestions, there's so much I need to improve on my violin, cases are one of the things I had in mind, also bows :)

I'll look into more of Musafia cases as well as others mentions above...

thanks so much!

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2005, 04:52:39 PM »
I'm not really happy with ANY of the cases available.  Currently working on a fiddler's case design with easy functionality.  Should be fun.  Just too little time.

Steve

Steve, I'm curious what you are unhappy with in current case designs, and what features you'd put in yours.  And what would make a "fiddler's" case different than a "violinist's" case? -Steve W.

Offline spelare

« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2005, 05:36:37 PM »
For me, this is the design that I find really useful:

Bobelock 1017 (available at Johnson and others)
American Case "Manhattan" (available at Shar)

The only negative (for some of you) might be if your shoulder rest doesn't fit in any of the pockets, but I think not having all kinds of loose stuff rattling around, and having a different place to put rests, tuners, metronomes, pencils, mutes, etc., is great.

Offline rcc

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2005, 06:16:46 PM »
I love Musafia cases.  The styling is rather over-the-top but so is the protection and the amount of real prototyping and testing that they do.  The Aeternum in particular is a great combination of lots of storage space and reasonably light weight (6 lbs).  But they're not cheap.  They're not expensive compared to the cost of benchmade violin either but they're certainly not cheap.

For those who want a less expensive alternative, I really like Bobelock.

The Hill style case (1017) is nice for those who like to keep lots of stuff in their case and the newer half-moon design looks good for folks who want something lighter but still want one bigger storage compartment and a good wood shell.  It's a nice alternative to a dart-shaped case for someone who wants something smaller.  Plus the half-moon design in velour is very inexpensive.

- Ray

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2005, 06:40:19 PM »
As long as we're on the topic of cases, I have oblong cases for my fiddles but am going to be taking a couple of air trips to gigs this Summer and am contemplating getting a smaller case to hopefully avoid any objections from flight staff regarding me carrying it on.  Any recommendations for a reasonably good form-fitting case?  - Steve W.

Offline spelare

« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2005, 07:09:24 PM »
Any recommendations for a reasonably good form-fitting case?
I've got the suspension version of this case:
Bobelock 1007S

Offline dalebygod

• Worlds Greatest Friend To All
  • Fiddle Hell Organiser
  • Hush! I'm thinking about georgie.
    • old'n in the way

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:16:56 PM »
I just got one from steve. I don't have any idea what kind it is but hey, it works.
ps. that i still own money on i think?
got a minute? check this out!
www.fiddlehell.com

Offline Nfkfiddler

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:08:46 PM »
I just got one from steve. I don't have any idea what kind it is but hey, it works.
ps. that i still own money on i think?

Aint you the Gentleman who buys things to give away? ;D

Offline brunk

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

• Total Badges: 17
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:32:42 PM »
Michelle I have a Calton case for sale if your looking for an amazing case. It usually takes about 18 weeks to receive a Calton Violin case because there on back order. If you want me to email you pictures I would be more than happy to. This case protects your violin from everything and it has room for a KUN, strings, tuner etc... Let me know.

Brunk

Offline tpquinn

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:43:35 AM »
I'm in need of a fiddle case and would like one that will fit my Bonmusica shoulder rest inside also. In general, I'm tending toward the Bobelock 1002, which looks like it may be spacious enough around the neck area to fit rest, but can't tell in the picture. The budget is around $200 US. Anyone know if it would work?
Bad times make for good stories.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal