Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Guitars  (Read 13322 times)

Offline jessboo

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: Guitars
« Reply #25 on: Jun 09, 2005, 04:44:41 AM »
i'll disagree with pinarello The blueridges I've played don't sound like Martins. They have their own sound and they play play and sound great a great guitar for the price and I love the abalone on the BR 160s What do I play a Martin D 18

Offline violinero

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #26 on: Jun 09, 2005, 06:44:21 AM »
  I used to have a yamaha electro-acoustic (classical style), but Id sell it among other things to pay for my new violin (Ns Designs 5 strings) but Im really happy with it; I also have two electric guitars, a cheap Ibaņez, and my precious Gibson Les Paul. I studied classical guitar but now Im into the rock music again. (sorry for my english, it has been years since the last time I wrote in this great forum; hi Pilgrum, Madfiddler and Alan)

Saludos.
    Violinero

Offline fiddleandstrum

• Total Badges: 27
    Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #27 on: Jun 09, 2005, 07:44:04 AM »
My current line-up of guitars is:
Tanglewood TW 155ST Jumbo cutaway electro-acoustic
Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CP247 electro-acoustic
Yamaha Pacifica strat-style electric
Cuenca 6 string nylon classical

I also have an old EKO 12 string jumbo acoustic lying around somewhere.

I only seem to play the Tanglewood most of the time though.
If anyone is interested there are pictures of all my guitars - and soundclips, on my website.

Offline CarrieTaylor

• Carrie Taylor
    • Official Carrie Taylor  fan site

« Reply #28 on: Jun 22, 2005, 04:06:17 PM »
hmmm,

didn't know this topic was here.  I have a Yamaha 6 string acoustic, a Brownsville 6 string cutaway acoustic-electric and an electric Fender Stratocaster.  I'm thinking of mounting a mini-theremin to the body of that one.    i may even start bowing it, hehe...just kidding.   i think....

i purchased some mandolins which i haven't begun to play yet and i'm wondering if i should purchase some books to that end. 
Carrie Taylor
(emo-alterna-rock Celtic Pop audiobot)
singer-songwriter
aka black bohemian hippie chick

Offline garyblanchard

• Old-Time/Good-Time Music
    • Brookfields Music

« Reply #29 on: Jun 22, 2005, 07:03:24 PM »
My main guitar is a round neck Regal Resonator (D-45?) that I keep in straight tuning and play as a regular guitar. I play without picks so it has a "mellow metallic" sound that is great for jug band, blues, and "swingy" music. I just bought a Rogue acoustic/electric for those rare times I'm doing more 60's or original music. I also have an old, beat-up Harmony archtop that I play every now and then.
Gary Blanchard

Offline safari

• Total Badges: 19
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #30 on: Jun 22, 2005, 09:30:59 PM »
I play a Fender American Strat and 
Gibson Les Paul Custom .
I also have  a Squire Strat and a couple
of Fender acoustics.
I don't play the acoustics much, but I use them for
picking exercises and building/maintaining hand strength

Offline Keeso

« Reply #31 on: Jun 29, 2005, 08:48:30 AM »
Since it has always been my primary performing and writing instrument (with piano a close second for writing), I love guitars. I wish I had more of them, but here's what I have:

Electrics:

1963 Fender Stratocaster, L-series, natural finish with rosewood fingerboard. Great birdseye maple neck, one of the nicest pieces of wood I've seen for Strat necks. A bit fatter sound -- think: "Stevie Ray Vaughan."

1994 40th Anniversary Strat (2-tone sunburst body, maple neck). Very, very "spanky." Loads of treble-oink and with my Mesa-Boogie Maverick amp (class A) with new JJ Tesla tubes (and reverb way up) I can easily launch myself into deep space.

Cheapo Kramer (AeroStar) electric, modified for slide guitar with high action and brass nut and EMG pre-wired three-pickup system installed (active electronics). The electronics cost more than the guitar itself but it does what it needs to do; plus, I wasn't going to worry if the neck folded up under the tension of constant A-tuning (one step up from open G). It never has ... the body may be plywood, but the neck has some gumption!

Late 70's "Fridge White" Fender Jazz Bass. Sounds just like a Fender bass ought to ... I love Precisions but those necks are just a tad too wide. This does me just fine.

Fairly recent (but now discontinued) Danelectro "Hodad" electric 12-string, ultra-shiny black finish with stick-on white tape on outside edges -- funky! A bit neck-heavy 'cause the body weighs practically nothing. Has the three typical "lipstick case" style pickups and a rather nice tone; also, I like the string spacing (I've always had problems with Rickenbackers). I bought a Carl Martin Chorus XII just for this git-box (good excuse, I wanted a nice analog chorus other than what comes with my multi-effects stuff) and now I can chime 'til the cows come home: "To every season/Turn, turn, turn ..."

Acoustic Guitars:

1971 Gibson Blue Ridge (square shouldered dreadnaught). Doesn't get any respect from collectors because of the exact vintage and since slope-shouldered Gibsons are supposedly the cat's meow; also, the Blue Ridge is actually a 2-ply wood for back and sides -- rosewood on the outer, maple on the inside. Actually, rather well done. It may be my imagination, but this well-done ply may actually create a unique tonal blend. Yes, that typically bottom heavy Gibson sound (good for strumming, a tad boomy on the bottom with the heavier bracing, a bit fatter but still clear on the treble) ... but not as boomy as some I've heard. Like the square-shouldered J-50s of the same vintage, it's a basic guitar but now well-aged with a beautiful honey-colored Sitka top. Lightly finish-checked in spots, but should be much, much more for all the weather conditions and places I've dragged it to, over the years. Just had a complete refret and installed a PlateMate (brass plate to protect bridge plate from further string ball-end wear). A very slight brightening in tone, very subtle, perhaps even an improvement. I guess even if not a great "collectible," folks that own this model that have written reviews at Harmony Central sure seem to like it ... so do I. It's my oldest "instrument friend."

Mid-90's Takamine EF340C electric-acoustic dreadnaught w/ cutaway. Good electronics, decent acoustic sound ... a good basic performing instrument. Plays very easily, almost like an electric, really. Came with an exceptional set-up, perhaps the best "out of the box" set-up I've ever seen, except for ...

... the newest addition to the family: early 2000's Huss and Dalton DRH acoustic guitar, Indian rosewood back and sides, Sitka top. Braced with Adirondack spruce and hot-rodded in that way those wonderful guys in Staunton can somehow manage -- they are masters! Voiced to have just enough of that "best of the old Martins" sound without any of the occasional boominess ... they've balanced the treble and bass response nicely. Hard to describe -- a nice vintage type tone without being a direct copy. Still honks on those Lester Flatt G-runs with medium strings! Larger soundhole, pumps a lot of great tone ... very resonant and responsive, especially with really nice phosphor bronze strings. Got this one used, for a steal ... essentially mint except for a few very slight pick scratches on the pickguard, not even a ding. The dealer said I got a deal 'cause folks near there want the old Martins, boomy ones or not. I like this one better (unless Tony Rice wants to give me Clarence's old guitar). ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2005, 09:06:27 AM by Keeso »

Offline baldgeezer

• Total Badges: 29
    Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #32 on: Jun 29, 2005, 10:08:41 AM »
I've got a Charvel-Jackson 12-string electro acoustic and a fender strat. The Charvel is the best playing 12-string I've played by far! I actually find it easier to play than a 6-string acoustic and for me the sound if so much better.

-Dave

Offline Theophilus

• Texas Style from Texas

« Reply #33 on: Jul 01, 2005, 06:10:05 AM »
I went from flatpicking to mando to fiddle. I don't play guitar as much as I used to but I still play enough to keep tuned up and jam on favorite fiddle tunes

hotrodded '69 D-18 shaded top
hotrodded '74 D-28 with a large soundhole
'95 Jerry Donahue Tele
'83 Ovie collecter's edition
"I'd play 'Sally Goodin' all day if I could but the Lord and my wife might not think it very good."

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #34 on: Jul 01, 2005, 01:09:38 PM »
I wish I played guitar better than I do.  I reached a plateau with rhythm and flatpicking and haven't been able to go much above it.  Frankly, I don't practice as much as I should (practicing fiddle! :) )

Offline Theophilus

• Texas Style from Texas

« Reply #35 on: Jul 02, 2005, 03:52:24 AM »
I think playing the same tune on more than one instrument opens up a lot of possibilities on them all.
"I'd play 'Sally Goodin' all day if I could but the Lord and my wife might not think it very good."

Offline MusicalGirevik

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #36 on: Jul 11, 2005, 06:50:09 PM »
My last serious guitar was a Gibson ES-355, which I sold.  The money for it eventually went to a used cello, which was returned due to a crack in the back, for my current viola.

I still have a Martin Backpacker and Kramer Strat Copy ($80 model from MusicYo.com - beware of buying an amp from them, btw).  My next plucked instrument will probably be a Persian one (tar or setar), due to my increasing involvement in the music, unless I somehow get motivated to get a guitar with movable frets.

Could be another year though, because I'm about to plunk some cash down on a kemancheh (Persian upright fiddle).

Offline FingerstyleFunk

• Total Badges: 19
« Reply #37 on: Jul 11, 2005, 07:21:20 PM »
Well... I guess I technically don't play the geetar... I'm a bassist.

But anyway, I've got a Carvin LB70P, which is just one of the most incredible basses I've used, and probably just about the best value out there. Anything by Carvin, really, is an incredible value. A neck-thru, with a humbucker and single coil, plus piezo bridge, with a passive/active preamp with 3-band eq, the standard (and absolutely incredible) diamond-polished ebony fretboard, plus a tweed hard-case... and it only cost me around $800.

Then my other axe, which was my first bass. A cheap little starter setup, made by Hartke. Piece of junk, really... but I defretted it, and plan to (eventually) replace the electronics. I WILL make that bass worth keeping.

And, for the moment, those are my main instruments. The fidde's being kinda neglected... the only reason it's been seeing the light of day at all lately is because I've been using it to check measurements for my e-fiddle design.

Offline marcb

• Total Badges: 26
    Apple User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #38 on: Jul 11, 2005, 07:57:46 PM »
used to play guitar when i was (much) younger - seems like a century ago
but recently picked up again and bought myself a fender telecaster : just for the fun of playing and to experiment a bit further with my Boss GT6 multieffects

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #39 on: Jul 17, 2005, 01:46:14 PM »
wow we have a lot of pickers here...

Offline katshan

• Total Badges: 18
« Reply #40 on: Aug 12, 2005, 02:36:13 PM »
Martin OM40-RB
Martin 000-16RGT
Martin 000-15

Love all of them and play them as much as I can daily.  No, I don't have a fiddle yet, it's on it's way....  Can't wait to get started on the fiddle journey. 

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #41 on: Aug 23, 2005, 04:51:29 PM »
I love those Martin OM's and 000's!  They're much better balanced than the D style; much more versatile in my opinion.  One of the best guitars I've played was a beat-up old '50s or early '60s 000-18 I saw in a local music store about 10 years ago.  It looked horrible but had a wonderful tone.  It was a little more than I wanted to spend on a guitar at the time but I wish I'd gone for it. -Steve

Offline Bob L

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #42 on: Aug 30, 2005, 03:48:01 AM »
I have a few guitars also -

Acoustics
  • A Kay archtop from the early 1950's
  • A Harmony Patrician from about the same era
  • A Carlo Robelli classical, probably made by Samick, with cutaway and the box about 1/2" oversized all around
  • A Guild dreadnought from about 1972.  Built like a brick S**thouse and LOUD but set up for a flatpicker - 1 11/16" across the nut.  Strings are a bit close together for my fingerstyle stuff.
  • Main axe is a pawnshop Washburn D-10 I've set up for fingerstyle. Put brass bridge pins in for a brighter sound and I keep Elixir .012's fairly fresh.
  • A few other junkers to take up space in the closet

Electrics
  • A cheap Lotus Les Paul copy with a phase switch set up for slide
  • A Joe Pass Epiphone Emperor, hollowbody archtop jazz box
  • A reissue Fender Jaguar for bar band/blues/rock stuff
  • A Washburn Oscar Schmidt ES-335 knockoff, semi-hollow archtop, cheap but fun
  • They all sound good on a Cyber Twin under various settings

I have learned that you don't need expensive instruments to make good music.  Violinists may take issue with that but fiddlers will agree.

Offline chad

« Reply #43 on: Aug 30, 2005, 02:54:10 PM »
Guitar is also my primary instrument (although I'm all about the mando at the moment!).

Acoustics:
 - 1970 Guild D-40
 - Raimundo classical
 - Alhambra classical

Electrics:
 - Homebuilt Strat w/secret "tone weapon" wired into circuitry
 - Chandler tele w/Gibson humbucker in neck position. Instant Albert Collins!
 - Epiphone "Joe Pass" - hollowbody archtop jazz box.

All are lefties.

The electrics have been getting short shrift for a while, though a drummer buddy is bugging me to get a band together. Might do it just for the undocumented income...

Offline Rhonwyyn

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #44 on: Aug 31, 2005, 03:12:59 AM »
If any of you blessed with an abundance of guitars would like to give one free to a good home, I'll take it.  I currently play a 12-string acoustic, but I want a six-string so I can learn to fingerpick and play in E tuning (I'm currently in D 'cause the tension is better for 12-strings). 

Seriously, though, can anyone recommend a good guitar for under $100?  Musician's Friend (www.musiciansfriend.com) has a few, but I don't know if they're worth the money.  I'm thinking an electric-acoustic might be nice 'cause if I get good, I'd like to be able to plug in at church.

Offline chad

« Reply #45 on: Aug 31, 2005, 04:05:37 AM »
...[C]an anyone recommend a good guitar for under $100?...

The short answer is "no". Any new instrument for under 100 bones is bound to be "budget" in the extreme; all laminate, poorly set up (hard to play), poorly constructed so it'll fall apart in a few years.

If $100 is your budget you might want to look around for a nice used instrument. While anything used in that price range is still not going to be top of the line you'll get more guitar for your money. Yamahas are a good bet, as are Takamines, Sigmas...

You might go here, http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/forum/f/19.html, the guitar forum at musicplayer.com, and ask for suggestions of good guitars in that price range. They're out there. Good luck!

Offline Keeso

« Reply #46 on: Aug 31, 2005, 10:04:02 AM »
Electrics:
 - Homebuilt Strat w/secret "tone weapon" wired into circuitry

Well, come on now ... now you have to reveal what the secret "tone weapon" is !!  ;) I'll take a guess -- a preamp/clean boost of some sort??

Offline PeterG

Windows User Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #47 on: Aug 31, 2005, 12:07:51 PM »
I have a 1978 Ovation Balladeer, a 1981 Norman 12 string, looks like it was made out of plywood, built like a tank, nice tone. A 1997 Seagull M6, very mellow. Don't practise guitar much any more since Violin addiction took over my life. Is there a fiddlers Anonymous?

Offline chad

« Reply #48 on: Aug 31, 2005, 06:01:19 PM »
Well, come on now ... now you have to reveal what the secret "tone weapon" is !!  ;) I'll take a guess -- a preamp/clean boost of some sort??

Nope - I had a Strat that came w/a factory installed mid boost preamp, and loved it, but that's not it. If I tell you my secret weapon it's not secret anymore, but it's not so much of a secret anyway - a "Fat - O - Caster" switch from Deaf Eddie that provides more pickup combinations, my favorite being the bridge/neck combo. There, you forced it out of me...

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #49 on: Sep 01, 2005, 03:09:48 AM »
Several closetfuls of guitars here (mostly electric, and ridiculously modified by me with the help of Adrian Legg's and Craig Anderton's books). I seem to keep coming back to a totally stock Domingo Santos Hernadez classical (prewar) and a trusty Ibanez Roadstar, the RG540.

The Ibanez a late 80's model with a locking Floyd Rose vibrato tailpiece, and five pickups; from the tailpiece to the neck: 360 Systems Slavedriver hexaphonic, Duncan Screamin' Demon humbucker, Red Rhodes single coil, Duncan Hot Rails, and then a DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker. There is a phase and series/parallel switch, which controls the two outside HB's, and the whole mess feeds into a copy of a Rex Bogue preamp I found in an old copy of Guitar Player. The master switching changes, but right now it has a Strat-style 5 way that lets me put the select each of the outside HB's individually and together in both series and parallel combinations, and a Les Paul style switch that lets me cut in either of the middle pickups with the HB's, or bypass them and use only one of the middle pickups. Hex output can go to a Roland guitar synth, or to a hex fuzzbox I built up with Anderton schematics. 24 fret neck, unfinished maple fingerboard, Gibson jumbo frets. Right now the body is a dark primer gray with the requisite stickers everywhere. It's a crazy axe!
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal