Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Shoulder Rests  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Jack002

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
Re:Shoulder Rests
« Reply #25 on: Jul 15, 2003, 08:21:42 PM »
This is fantastic! Of all the violin boards I have seen, this is the first time that requests for advice on shoulder rests has not turned into a heated debate on why you should never use them. No shoulder rest nazis here!
Did you mean "no shoulder rest Natzis here" or "no no shoulder rest Natzis here"? there's both kinds. ;)

Actually, I've not seen a heated discussion on them. I read a thread on rec.music.makers.bowed-strings where some people prefer to go without the chin rest or the shoulder rest. It wasn't a nazi type thread, but it was interesting. ;)

Jack

Offline soundboot

• Total Badges: 29
    Mobile User Quick Poster Search
« Reply #26 on: Jul 17, 2003, 10:33:14 PM »
I mean no no shoulder rest nazis, ie. anti-shoulder rest nazis. I've seen the fights oh yes! Especially on a forum beginning with M!
The violin world has more dogma than Crufts! (or something like that!)

Offline natnot

• Cupboard Dweller
  • Mini Bree!
    • Natnot's homepage

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #27 on: Jul 19, 2003, 05:02:08 PM »
When standing up to play (which I only do when practicing!), I don't use a rest, just a silk cloth under the violin; when sitting down, I use a Resonans. I used to use a Wolf Forte Secondo, but it kept falling off (years ago, it happened in the middle of my GCSE recital...not good!). I bought the Resonans because it was cheap, looked good and was light - the Wolf was pretty heavy in comparison. The only thing I liked better about the Wolf was that it had adjustable height (Resonans is only available in 3 fixed heights). I'm glad to have found a rest that doesn't fall off though!

Offline stringchef

• Total Badges: 19
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #28 on: Aug 14, 2003, 04:16:43 AM »
Interestingly enough, I just saw Mark Woods at a Mark O'Connor workshop in CA. last week! He doesn't have a shoulder rest for violins. The viper is the coolest electric violin out on the market. The instrument straps on the upper part of the body. The chin never touches the instrument. It's great if that's the direction someone wants to that way. I do use the Mach one(wooden) which is super. The plastic version is cheaper but doesn't work as well. And I also use the Kun Bravo. I also like it a lot. The wolf secondo I don't like because it use to press into a nerve on my shoulder and I would loose circulation! Wierd. But then everyone is built differently and you need to try it out before buying one. I hope this helps!

Offline Richard

• Senior Moderator
  • work 2 live, then play a violin for fun <><

• Total Badges: 31
    Level 6 Windows User Search
« Reply #29 on: Aug 14, 2003, 08:53:53 AM »
I Use a Kun Shoulder Rest, Still got the original one I bought years ago. I think it must be approaching 10 years old now. The padding on it is starting to look a bit manky but it only tends to fall off (my acoustic) when knocked hard. Not yet happened whilst playing. I have a rectangular case so my rest fits in. Used to have to carry it separate before getting new case.

Will be buying Kun again because of fit, have tried a few and suppose I am just used to Kun. I used to have a horrid sponge thing when young which was all over the place.

Does anyone know when chin and or shoulder rests started to be introduced?
Become a Forum Friend and get up to
60% in DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus extra for

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal