Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Violin Rosin  (Read 9729 times)

vanessa

Violin Rosin
« on: Dec 12, 2004, 06:40:08 PM »
Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice about rosins in general ...  :)

How does one choose a violin rosin?
What do I have to look for to make the informed choice?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thank you!
vanessa

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
Re: Violin Rosin
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2004, 06:50:31 PM »
I like Tartini rosin - use it with all my bows.  I have also liked some of the Melos rosins...

Offline corien

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2004, 10:29:02 PM »
Hi Vanessa! I'm really satisfied with Bernardel rosin. Really silky sound and sticks pretty good on the hair. I had tried Hills rosin and Kaplan ART rosin (dark) before. The latter one did not satisfy me (too harsh sound, in my opinion).

To make the proper choice, this is the right place to ask, but be ready to get many different opinions. If you have friends who play fiddle, you could ask them to test their rosin.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2004, 10:36:22 PM by corien »

Offline fidla

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2004, 11:11:15 PM »
Hi Vanessa! I'm really satisfied with Bernardel rosin. Really silky sound and sticks pretty good on the hair. I had tried Hills rosin and Kaplan ART rosin (dark) before. The latter one did not satisfy me (too harsh sound, in my opinion).

I was a Bernadel user for 13 years before I tried Tartini.  Tartini goes on smooth, adheres to the hair - is very grippy, and produces a beautiful tone!  Bernadel retails for about $18 in the US.  Tartini retails for about $20 depending on where you go.  But I really think Tartini rocks.  Made in Korea, it comes in 3 "flavors" Symphony (for most of us fiddlers), Solo (for agressive players - especially great for bluegrass, cajun and rock fiddlers) and Green (for someone who want's more "bite" than Symphony, but not as much "grab" as Solo).  We have all 3 flavors in our catalog.

Offline dalebygod

• Worlds Greatest Friend To All
  • Fiddle Hell Organiser
  • Hush! I'm thinking about georgie.
    • old'n in the way

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:20:53 AM »
I have use about all types and kinds, but to tell you the truth, I really can't see much difference. I've been using Hill for a few yrs, simply because I have a endorsement with Ampeg,/peavey and St. Louis music,/ghs strings, so i've always have plenty on hand.
got a minute? check this out!
www.fiddlehell.com

Offline fidla

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:55:12 AM »
I have use about all types and kinds, but to tell you the truth, I really can't see much difference. I've been using Hill for a few yrs, simply because I have a endorsement with Ampeg,/peavey and St. Louis music,/ghs strings, so i've always have plenty on hand.

that's great news, Dale!

what other endorsements do you have...just so us plain folks can know

Offline Nfkfiddler

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2004, 12:53:21 PM »
I'm using Dominant Resin on the same make strings and it suits me.

I have hear that a good fiddle player never uses his own rosin............................. :)

Offline Steve_W

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:30:11 PM »
I've used Hill Dark for years but recently have been using Millant-Deroux light.  I was trying out bows at Ifshin's and they had a cake of it in the practice room and I liked the feel of it; it seems to work well with my new bow (FWIW, the guy at Ifshin's said it was their most popular rosin).  Dark rosins are generally stickier than lighter ones, which you may or may not want for your style of playing.  Climate may make a difference too; during our hot Summers I found the Hill Dark to be too sticky, and was using a light rosin when playing outdoors.  I've heard people in humid climates also have a problem with dark rosins.  I think what it comes down to is that most rosins are under $10 and it's not too expensive to try a few and see what you like (or if you can tell a difference!). -Steve Wyrick

vanessa

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2004, 01:35:15 AM »
Hi all...

The problem that I have is that I cant really tell the difference between the types of rosin available. To date, I have used some cheapo Paginini china made rosin as well as the more expensive ones like Jade and Pirastro Gold rosin.

To be honest, all seem fine or about the same to me - or is it just me? ??? 
So I wanted to ask some opinion about rosins in general and how you guys rate them.

Thanx!

vanessa

Offline fidla

« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2004, 01:50:23 AM »
Vanessa

Generally the darker the rosin is, the "stickier" it will be on the hair, the more "grabby" it is upon use.  Many fiddlers like dark rosin for this reason. 

Adam

vanessa

« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2004, 01:55:29 AM »
Hi fidla..

Wont sound produced using a dark rosin be 'harsher' in a way then since it is more "grabby" - to use your term, due to the better grip and therefore more friction?

vanessa

Offline fidla

« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2004, 04:26:12 AM »
Hi fidla..

Wont sound produced using a dark rosin be 'harsher' in a way then since it is more "grabby" - to use your term, due to the better grip and therefore more friction?

vanessa

not necessarily ;)

a good dark rosin (like Tartini Solo for example), will go on smoothly and the result will be a "grabby" feel to the bow, but a gorgeous "big" tone to the instrument!

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:56:16 PM »
Hi all...

The problem that I have is that I cant really tell the difference between the types of rosin available. To date, I have used some cheapo Paginini china made rosin as well as the more expensive ones like Jade and Pirastro Gold rosin.

To be honest, all seem fine or about the same to me - or is it just me? ??? 
So I wanted to ask some opinion about rosins in general and how you guys rate them.

Thanx!

vanessa

I would think that if you compared a dark sticky rosin like Hill Dark or AB to a light one you would be able to tell some difference.  But if they all seem fine to you, just go with the cheapest.  You wouldn't be alone; I was in Ifshin's last winter and asked Jay Ifshin if he'd recommend a light rosin and he suggested Colophane 2000 Gold/Silver, on the basis that it was the largest cake for the cheapest price (about $5 for a good-sized cake)!  He stocks at least 20 different brands of rosin, some quite expensive, so I was a little surprised by this recommendation! (As it turns out, I found Colophane 2000 to be a decent rosin. I used it all Summer with good success.)

Offline rcc

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2004, 12:59:54 AM »
What Steve_W said.

A lot of folks can use just about anything and it'll work fine.

I suspect some bows and players are more sensitive to rosin choice.  Some of that probably depends on what your bowing technique is like and what kinds of things you're doing.

Personally, I like Tartini Symphony myself.  The Liebenzeller Gold III worked well too but the Symphony worked a bit better and was more convenient to use.  Tartini Solo was a bit too grabby for me.  The thing that surprised me about the Symphony was that when I went east and played outdoors in some fairly humid conditions, the rosin didn't too feel sticky.  I was half expecting to have to switch to a less sticky rosin but the Symphony did fine.

- Ray

Offline Mnfele

« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2004, 01:15:06 PM »
Being a creature of habit, I use Hill. Easy to find and not expensive. The only change I have made over the last few years is to keep both dark and light in the case. Minnesota goes from very humid to very dry during the year and I have noticed some difference in using light and dark.

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:41:58 PM »
I thought I'd try various rosins a while ago. I bought the Bernardel because it came in a nice pouch and the Pirastro gold fleck on the Homer Simpson principle.

Blank eyes with that far away look, a voice saying GOLD, GOLD and lots of drooling.

For a beginner seems as good a system as any.

Offline Jackson

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:11:39 PM »
I've tried four or five different rosins; Hill dark, AB, Tartini Symphony and Green, Bernardel, and Dominant.  I like the Dominant the best of these, with Bernardel coming in a close second. The Dominant seems to be the most consistent, with the right amount of grab, and doesn't change that much with humidity fluctuation. It isn't noisy, and  allows my bows to perform well (as long as I perform well) ;D It's like everything else here; strings, shoulder rests, chinrest, etc...all a matter of personal preference, but I do think it's a good idea to experiment with as many options as possible, rather than settling on the first thing you try.
Harry
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2004, 04:13:00 PM by Jackson »

Offline Nox

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2004, 01:56:44 AM »
I thought I'd try various rosins a while ago. I bought the Bernardel because it came in a nice pouch and the Pirastro gold fleck on the Homer Simpson principle.

Blank eyes with that far away look, a voice saying GOLD, GOLD and lots of drooling.

For a beginner seems as good a system as any.

That's so funny!  Because I just did the same thing (more or less!). ;D

I've been using Hidersine Dark...and I think I sound a little gritty...so on Saturday I splurged and bought a cake of Liebenzeller Gold III (for my violin) and the Bernardel (for my viola)...

...a little more expensive than I had anticipated...so I gave them to hubby, to give to me at Christmas, from the kids  :D

...so I have to wait another week or so to try them...but I'm looking forward to experimenting a little...see if what I'm hearing is the rosin or not...

Offline Mnfele

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2004, 03:14:37 PM »
I've tried four or five different rosins; Hill dark, AB, Tartini Symphony and Green, Bernardel, and Dominant.  I like the Dominant the best of these, with Bernardel coming in a close second. The Dominant seems to be the most consistent, with the right amount of grab, and doesn't change that much with humidity fluctuation. It isn't noisy, and  allows my bows to perform well (as long as I perform well) ;D It's like everything else here; strings, shoulder rests, chinrest, etc...all a matter of personal preference, but I do think it's a good idea to experiment with as many options as possible, rather than settling on the first thing you try.
Harry

That does it, I'm going to try the Dominant. What the heck, I usually try a new rosin every 15 - 20 years so its about time!

Offline bassfiddler

• Huh?
    • my trio

Level 5 Super Combination Combination
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2004, 03:04:11 PM »
Just a reminder that premium rosins go on the bow in one or two strokes, and last a long time. I'm still using Liebenzeller, but would try Tartini if anything happened to my current cake.
Cheap student rosins produce a lot of dust, and you'll go through it relatively quickly.

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2004, 06:16:47 PM »

That does it, I'm going to try the Dominant. What the heck, I usually try a new rosin every 15 - 20 years so its about time!

Talk about fickle.

vanessa

« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2004, 03:11:02 PM »
Thanx everyone!  O0
I am learning new things all the time.

And I never knew that the difference between light and dark rosins is in the humidity.. sigh.. talk about an ignorant violin player!  :o

anyway.. thanx for all the advice!

vanessa

Offline fidla

« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2005, 03:39:48 AM »
Factors to consider:

1.  The style of music you play.  Jazz, classical, rock, celtic, bluegrass, old timey...they all impact the bow and the hair (thus the rosin) differently
2.  Where you play.  Concert halls, bathrooms, covered out door stages, uncovered stages, in your backyard.  Humidity and temperature are important.
3.  Your training/education/experience.  A more experienced player will have better control of the bow than a lesser...
4.  What bow you have.  Most pernambuco (high quality) wood bows require a higher colored amber rosin.  Most carbon graphite (middle quality) bows require a stickier rosin.  Most "brasilwood" or manilkara kauki Chinese shop-made (lower quality) bows require a very sticky rosin (I can explain this in more detail in a discussion of bow hair http://bestbowhair.com/)

So considering all these factors, the best overall rosin doesn't exist.  Rosin is as particular to the player as are strings, as is a bow, as is a shoulder rest, and so on.

Personnally, I like the Motroya and Fiddlers rosins we carry at Emilys.  I like them because they are inexpensive compared to similar Tartini and Bernadel rosins (my favorites over the years).  I like them also because they encompass the expanse of rosins according to the criteria listed above.

Adam

Offline violin_kid

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »
I can't find Tartini rosin anywhere! do they still sell it?

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths
    • madfiddler - Electric Violinist

• Total Badges: 44
    Mobile User Level 7 5000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2006, 01:57:39 PM »
Tartini was discontinued - but I believe another company bought the name?
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra membership privileges.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal