Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Electronic Tuners  (Read 6094 times)

Offline Nox

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Electronic Tuners
« on: Nov 18, 2004, 08:08:38 PM »
My old electronic tuner isn't working right anymore (but it's given me some 20 years - so no complaints)...my daughter has a really cool tuner for her oboe that I never get to borrow because I either can't find it...or she left it at school...

...so yesterday at the music store I bought an 'IntelliTouch Tuner - Barebone' tuner...seems very handy (and it's small enough to fit in my case...unlike my old one - BIG)...anyone else use one?  Or any comments on other makes and models?

Advertise Here

Offline Lllizard

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: Electronic Tuners
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2004, 08:41:52 PM »
I use one all the time with a wire that clips to my bridge.  But I can't say what brand it is because I don't remember and the darn thing has gone missing:  it got passed around to far in orchestra I think.  I use one because when I tune to the piano my ear is strongly influenced by wishful thinking or how badly I don't feel like turning those pegs, especially if the A is really close anyway.  I need that red light to tell me to quit being lazy.

Offline corien

Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2004, 09:26:03 PM »
Could it be this one?

I have one of these and it works fine.

Offline bassfiddler

• Huh?
    • my trio

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2004, 03:57:03 PM »
I use a Korg CA-30. Twenty bucks, works great. I also use a Pocket Tones tone generator, like an electronic pitchpipe, or sometimes, just a tuning fork A=440.

Offline marcb

• Total Badges: 26
    Apple User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:40:49 PM »
I use a Korg AT120
has a nice big screen with a fast and accurate needle
when playing together with instruments that are very difficult or almost impossible to tune (e.g. accordion) you can take over the tuning of that instrument and tune yours accordingly with the 0-point still being your new 0-point : you tune as if your A would be 440hz (the needle pointing at zero) although it may be from 380 to 480 hz.

I bought it second hand, thus rather cheap.

Marc B

Offline chuck1

• Total Badges: 25
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2004, 05:13:07 PM »
 ::)  Yup I have the barebones.  It is great when other instruments are tuning up too!  The only problem I have is that being so new to the instrument I needed a tuner that would tell if I was on the correct finger position.  The intelitouch is not well suited while you are playing --it falls off the instrument.....great for tuning with other instruments close by.

I also have a Korg CA-30 that I use when I want to see if I am at the right finger position.  Now the Korg is very sensitive--the slighest noise registers.  It does all the tuning that I need and it fits nicely in the case.  My shoulder rest doesnt so I dont you it much.  I am glad my tuner does...so does everyone else....chuck

Offline Richard

• Senior Moderator
  • work 2 live, then play a violin for fun <><

• Total Badges: 31
    Level 6 Windows User Search
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:24:35 PM »
I second the Korg CA-30. I use that on a link out from my DI box or second oputput on FX pedal.

I have used it with microphone though not a practical proposition without wiring up if a guitarist won't shut up when you are tuning.

Not tried the barebones myself yet. I have tried a number of "guitar" tuners and they mostly suck for violin apart from Korg. The Korg tuners seem to lock onto the note very quickly and give a good picture of tuning. I wouldnt mind a big Korg rackmount tuner but its a bit of overkill  for what I need.
Become a Forum Friend and get up to
60% in DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus extra for

Offline Jackson

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2004, 10:00:35 PM »
I picked up a couple of Korg CA-30 tuners and Korg clip mics on ebay. The tuners were about $15 each, and mics $10 each. I don't use the clip mic when I'm tuning at home, but it's useful at sessions, where I can tune while the others are playing.
They work great for me.
Harry

Offline kesh

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2004, 11:06:47 PM »
I ues an intelli these days for all the reasons mentioned above.  I find that the position of the clamp varies from one fiddle to the next for getting a good response, so some experimentation is needed with positioning.

Offline Lllizard

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2004, 12:42:48 AM »
the Korg CA-30 is what I have too - still lost.  >:(

You can recallibrate it, which is good since the church piano is tuned to 442.  The clip attachment is great during rehersals when everyone else is warming up.  I used to use a tuning fork and press my ear against the violin to hear my note when other people were playing.  I gave up on that after I was at a weekend conferance with about 50 violins tuning at once.

Offline Steve_W

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2004, 07:01:03 PM »
But Llizard, if you're playing with other fiddles shouldn't you be tuning to THEM, not your tuning fork?  :)

I'm interested in these comments since for years I've used an old Seiko Tolv, made I think in the mid-80s, that was a hand-me-down from a relative.  It's a great tuner; analog needle and very accurate, but it's huge in comparison to modern tuners (won't quite fit in any of my accessory pockets) and it requires you to set the note manually.  Think I'll check out the Korg.  One question, though; can any of the electronic tuners be set to just intonation rather than equal temperament? -Steve W.

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:54:10 PM »
Aha, I've finally found an answer to my temperament question, which apparently killed this thread!  The Korg OT-12 tuner provides support for multiple temperaments, including Pythagorean which I think is equivalent to just intonation. http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=OT12&category_id=5.  Fairly expensive, at around $90 street price (without the clip-on contact mic), and probably overkill for fiddling, but it should provide extremely accurate tuning! -Steve

Offline Richard Martin

• Total Badges: 27
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »
got a ca30 Korg also - still use my pitch pipes more often than not though ????

Offline fiddlegirlLA

• Total Badges: 21
    Apple User Search Windows User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:53:31 PM »
Aha, I've finally found an answer to my temperament question, which apparently killed this thread!  The Korg OT-12 tuner provides support for multiple temperaments, including Pythagorean which I think is equivalent to just intonation. http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=OT12&category_id=5.  Fairly expensive, at around $90 street price (without the clip-on contact mic), and probably overkill for fiddling, but it should provide extremely accurate tuning! -Steve

Hi Steve,

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I just saw your post and have been looking for a "just" tuner as well - wondered if you like using the OT-12 and if it makes a difference over a chromatic tuner?

Thanks,
Andrea

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:32:36 PM »
The Korg OT-12 tuner provides support for multiple temperaments, including Pythagorean which I think is equivalent to just intonation.
If it supports "unjust" intonation, or "cruel and unusual" intonation, I think we'll get along fine! ;)
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:02:50 PM »

Hi Steve,

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I just saw your post and have been looking for a "just" tuner as well - wondered if you like using the OT-12 and if it makes a difference over a chromatic tuner?

Thanks,
Andrea

Actually I've been making do with my old Seiko but recently decided I need something more compact so will probably be shopping in the near future.  My feeling is that for most uses a tuner with equal intonation is probably adequate (and as I usually play with pianos or other keyboard instruments it's probably more appropriate) so I'll probably end up going with a CA-30 instead of paying the extra for the OT-12.  -Steve

Offline fiddlegirlLA

« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:23:02 PM »
I've been trying to decide between those two models as well. Anyone else out there that's tried the Korg OT-12 or another "just" tuner?

Andrea

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:40:14 PM »
this handy gadget

Sorry, but it works for me, and doesn't cost a week's groceries.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline woodwiz

Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:58:57 PM »
this handy gadget

Sorry, but it works for me, and doesn't cost a week's groceries.

I've got tone of those, but it's so old it rings at 432 Hz.   doesn't matter, because I'm too deaf to hear it anyway.

I've got an old Seiko analog tuner that I keep at home, plugged in because it eats 9V batteres.  I keep a cheapo Quik Tune tuner in my case with a contact mike.  It's got a "pitch pipe" function, too for those times when a peg slips. And then there's the Tuner_E software that will tell you the exact frequency you are playing.

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:01:10 PM »
this handy gadget
Next time my pitch pipe (A=435??) dies, I plan to get me one of those thingies.

it appears I was not paying proper attention to what I was doing with the quotes

;D
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2005, 10:59:52 PM by sreizes »

Offline fiddlegirlLA

« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:18:20 PM »
I usually just tune by ear at home, but my problem is that I need a digital tuner on stage - that's why I'm considering splurging on the OT-12...on stage I can't hear myself tune w/ drums banging and the guitar player getting warmed up and 100 noisey things going on so I need to tune digitally - but even with a chromatic tuner I still need to adjust the tuning by ear after I use the tuner. Any one else with similar issues have a solution?  ;)

Andrea

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:26:58 PM »
woodwiz: "I've got one of those, but it's so old it rings at 432 Hz. "

One word for you, young feller: Brasso.

Then check it with one of them newfangled quartz jobbies.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline woodwiz

Linux User Mobile User Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:02:42 PM »
woodwiz: "I've got one of those, but it's so old it rings at 432 Hz. "

One word for you, young feller: Brasso.

Then check it with one of them newfangled quartz jobbies.

From what I can tell, 432 herz was generally accepted "secular" concert pitch from 1880 to 1885, and I'm given to understand that it is still the nationally accepted concert pitch in Italy.

I don't think Brasso's gonna do the trick. A $10.00 Quartz jobby does fine.

Offline rcc

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:57:48 PM »
I have an OT-12 and I really like it.

Pythagorean, Just, and Equal temperaments are different for most intervals so if you're going to learn intonation with the help of an electronic tuner, a chromatic tuner will teach you to only be approximately in tune.  More importantly, if you have a tuner that understands all the temperaments, it will make it easier for you to learn to hear the differences.

The OT-12 is also great for those of us who like to cross-tune as the tuner understands keys as well as temperaments.  So if I'm tuning the fiddle AEAE which essentially means I've tuned it to the key of A, I can put the OT-12 into the key of A and then tune the strings very accurately indeed.  You can really tell the difference on a cross-tuned fiddle if one string is even a few cents off so it's nice to have a tuner that will actually help you there.  Ears are nice but as you say, it's tough to tune with your ears when it's noisy.

- Ray

Offline B natural

• Total Badges: 23
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:39:47 AM »
I got one of these digital tuner thingies and only used it a couple of times. I'm so used to my old tuning fork, dunted on a hard surface then stuck between my front teeth, which is far quicker for tuning up. It pays to learn how to tune, by ear, the other strings to the A string - much faster in the end. I suppose that's the old fashioned way to do it but sometimes old fashioned = best. No flat batteries to worry about with a tuning fork either  ;)
Rob.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal