Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Bridge Adjustment?  (Read 1568 times)

cecerose

Bridge Adjustment?
« on: Oct 21, 2004, 07:08:33 PM »
How can you tell if your bridge needs to be adjusted?  Are there any standard measurements?

The bridge that came with my new violin feels "high" for lack of a better term...

Offline Bob

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
Re: Bridge Adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2004, 07:52:33 PM »
How can you tell if your bridge needs to be adjusted?  Are there any standard measurements?

The bridge that came with my new violin feels "high" for lack of a better term...

The string height is measured at the end of the fingerboard and the 'correct' figures depend on whether you are using steel strings or synthetic cores - the latter are fitted higher.

The measurements are for the G and E strings - if the angle of curvature of the bridge is correct then the D and A heights will be right also - bridge curvature should match the fingerboard curvature.

The only problem with the 'correct' measurements is that it assumes, for example, that the neck angle is also correct and the fingerboard curvature is as well. Most modern violins, even of factory origin, have more or less the right neck angle but most violins I've seen under about 600 or so can have some really wierd fingerboard curvatures.

The best thing is to take it to a luthier and get them to set it up properly - they'll take into account all the other factors. I'm assuming that your violin didn't come from a violin dealer - otherwise it would have been done before sale.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal