Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Difference between Guarneri and Strad type chinrests?  (Read 4609 times)

Offline meemtp

• Total Badges: 26
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Linux User Mobile User
Difference between Guarneri and Strad type chinrests?
« on: Oct 08, 2004, 01:03:39 AM »
What's the difference between the two? They look the same in pictures I've seen.

Offline Bob

• Total Badges: 24
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
Re: Difference between Guarneri and Strad type chinrests?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2004, 06:46:30 AM »
What's the difference between the two? They look the same in pictures I've seen.

Guarneri rests are the common ones these days (whereas 20 years ago the Strad pattern was in vogue) and they're fitted to just about every Chinese violin I've ever seen - cheap or expensive. The pan is wide and flat whereas the Strad pattern is much more scalloped and deeper so they have a habit of sticking into the players neck.

Personally I can't say I really like either and there's about 30 odd styles out there so there's a fair bit of choice.

Offline meemtp

• Total Badges: 26
    Windows User Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2004, 12:11:39 PM »
Ok, it must be a Strad chinrest on my fiddle then. I switched tailpieces to a Wittner from a Box Hill type and wanted to match w/ an ebony rest. Mine seemed different than the Guarneri on my last fiddle. But looks similar. I actually like it, the deeper scallop is very comfortable for me. Plus I think the smaller footprint looks better. 

Offline Bob

• Total Badges: 24
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2004, 12:19:38 PM »
Ok, it must be a Strad chinrest on my fiddle then. I switched tailpieces to a Wittner from a Box Hill type and wanted to match w/ an ebony rest. Mine seemed different than the Guarneri on my last fiddle. But looks similar. I actually like it, the deeper scallop is very comfortable for me. Plus I think the smaller footprint looks better. 

With a wooden rest you'll find you can shape it to taste - to a certain extent. The Guarneri rests especially always seem to have sharp edges and its an easy matter to do a bit of filing and then work down the paper grades from 100 to 600 and finish off with micromesh or similar.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal