Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Chin rests  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Chuck

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Chin rests
« on: Jul 22, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »
Or is it all in my head?  My fiddle came with a Guarneri style chinrest.  I realized that I was constantly placing it so that I was actually resting my chin on the thin tailpiece side.  I ordered a Flesch style and a Tekla style chinrest from SWstrings.  They came in yesterday and I tried them both and felt much more comfortable, secure, and relaxed with the Flesch chinrest.

Offline Jack002

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
Re:Chin rests
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2004, 01:47:00 PM »
Oh yeah, changing it can make a difference. I got my dads fiddle and there was some odd thing on there that looked like it belonged on a 1/4 or something. Took it off, got me a plain old standard one for a 4/4 and now its comfortable to play. (I'd like to look at getting one that puts it right over the tailpiece too.)

Jack
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2004, 01:47:35 PM by Jack002 »

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2004, 02:53:28 PM »
I tried several before I felt comfortable with a teka type.

It seems to be one of those anomolies of the violin that most come fitted with a Guanarius but, no-one likes them.

Offline Jackson

• Total Badges: 24
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2004, 04:19:39 PM »
I went through about five different styles of chinrests before I found one that was really comfortable for me. Both of my fiddles came with Guarneri chinrests, which I didnt like. I tried joachim, flesch, and Paganini, which is like the flesch, but smaller and not as elongated, and fits over the center of the tailpiece. It was ok, but I finally settled on the small Strad style, which I ordered from Dov Schmidt, and have those on both of my fiddles now. the Strad style looks more like a Guarneri, but the bridge that goes over the tailpiece is smoother and more rounded, and the elevation/angle, and shape of the cup fits me perfectly. I was having problems with a pinched ulna nerve due to incorrect posture (and playing for an average of five hours a day with the Guarneri chinrest), but that subsided shortly after switching to the Strad style.
Harry
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2004, 04:26:16 PM by Jackson »

Offline Richard Martin

• Total Badges: 27
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2004, 05:55:08 PM »
its surprising what the chin rest can do to the enjoyment of playing. I have gone through the usual few and ended up prefering strad style chinrests. one of the things I have found bizare is that all the instruments I have had pass through my hands all seem to have a strad style plastic chin rest - last instrument I bought infast had a plastic strad style chin rest - and it was not a cheap istrument either. That said ended up with ebony strad style on all my instruments - the wood rest is larger than the plastic one too?????

As well as the chin rest then shoulder rest has to be looked at - again went through a number wolf, kun etc... and found the kun bravo to be the best by far - own 3 of them now

Offline Steve_W

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2004, 06:00:36 PM »
I have no complaints with the Guarneri rest on my main fiddle.  My backup instrument has a Teka and that works well too.  When I got the new fiddle I found the Guarneri rest fairly awkward and was going to replace it with the Teka but decided to give it a chance and found I liked it.  It seems to allow for a wide variety of positions, which may explain why the style's so popular.  Maybe if I played 5 hours a day I'd have a problem with it, but playing for no more than 2 hours a stretch I have no problems (my elbows and wrists usually start hurting long before my neck).  I also don't have any trouble switching back and forth between the two fiddles. -Steve W.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2004, 06:24:58 PM by Steve_W »

Offline Steve_W

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2004, 06:41:58 PM »
By the way regarding shoulder rests, I've used a Kun Classic for a long time but had a problem with it sliding around on my new fiddle while playing.  It came off during a performance a couple weeks ago and I decided that I needed something different.  Ifshin's turned me on to a Kun-style shoulder rest called the Viva Standard which is really solid.  Instead of the surgical tubing on the feet it uses a rubber grip system that fits around the edge of the back and doesn't slide or come loose easily; you can actually pick the violin up by the rest without it coming off.   Also the rest part isn't free to tilt as much as the Kun (it can still tilt a little).  These 2 features make it very stable on my fiddle.  It's more expensive ($22 at Ifshin's vs. $17 for the Kun Classic) but definitely worth it in my opinion. -Steve W.

Offline Nfkfiddler

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2004, 01:42:47 PM »
I was fortunate in having a had a whole collection of rests to try.    I finally settled on the 'New Flesch' and now have them on both my fiddles.    Along with shoulder rests, bows and strings it's all personel preference and you have to look arround for what suits you.  

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2004, 05:25:09 PM »
I was fortunate in having a had a whole collection of rests to try.    I finally settled on the 'New Flesch' and now have them on both my fiddles.    Along with shoulder rests, bows and strings it's all personel preference and you have to look arround for what suits you.  

I use the same on my two main fiddles, though I tried about three different styles first, including an old Flesch which was comfy but heavy.

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2004, 03:59:05 AM »
I am rather fond of the ultra-light plastic Wittner.  Great mounts, too.  

Changing chinrests, tightening or loosening the spindles, moving them a little one way or another can all change the response and clarity of a violin.  Most obviously, the B0 bending mode of the violin changes with mass changes at the ends.  If the violin's B0 has been set to match an air resonance of some kind, then a change might upset the violin a bit.  

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal