Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Bow shopping: Got a Marco Raposo  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Keeso

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Bow shopping: Got a Marco Raposo
« on: Jul 15, 2004, 08:07:30 AM »
Went shopping for a new bow and spent almost twice what I originally intended. It was interesting -- tried every pernambuco bow in the shop (and there were lots) and the subtle nuances and differences in tone and playability were remarkable. This is a new world for me! But I decided to retire the brazilwood circa 1920 R. Geipel bow (sweet tone, but wimpy) and had already decided to let the Hopf have the approx. $400 pernambuco bow Steve sold me with the Appalachian (forgot the make, but comparable to the new Arcos Brasil ones). He picked out a nice one and the Hopf sounds like a new fiddle. No more "fuddy-duddy" (relatively speaking, but let me tell you: now I know just how much a better bow makes a huge difference).

So, the Appalachian needed a new dedicated friend. The most amazing discovery of the day was how much I liked the Coda bows I tried -- the Aspire and the Conservatory. I wish I had been able to try the Cadenza bows, but they didn't have 'em. This carbon fiber stuff is remarkable -- many of the wood bows had quirks or slightly negative nuances (of one thing or other, usually "not quite the tone I wanted" or the strength/resilience factor) that made me go "Nah!" ... even though they were not bad bows. But "Old Smoky" was choosy and so was I. Being a very wood-oriented person, I went with the richer tone of a $700 Marco Raposo. I know difference in price can be more of the "nickel vs. silver" issue and not necessarily the quality of the wood, but I liked this one over a $400 Marco Raposo -- it sounded a bit better. Could be the fancier one just happened to sound just right to me.

So, I gulped and did it -- handed over the credit card and didn't look back. I mean, the tone ... the playing characteristics. I've known for years it's best to buy as much bow as you can (as well as, as much violin) but after picking and choosing for an hour and a half it was quite a lesson (was it longer? I'm surprised they didn't kick me out after the umpteenth repeat of "Midnight On The Water" and "Little Rabbit" -- this seemed like a very classical-oriented place. But they knew I was on a mission when I said: "Can I see the bows in the safe? What bows ya got in there?") ...

All in all, well worth it -- excellent wood and grain, amazing tone, nice details ... I guess I'm a wood sorta guy. But even though the carbon fiber ones didn't have quite the richness (still, I was amazed at how good they sounded), they were remarkable in their consistency and playability. OK, when I get an expensive hankering for an "all-weather" bow, I'll just have to get one of these carbon fibers. But for now, I'm in pernambuco heaven!
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2004, 09:03:47 AM by Keeso »

Offline Renzo123

• I can't be bothered to edit my profile...

• Total Badges: 19
    Search Windows User Level 4
Re: Bow shopping: Got a Marco Raposo
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2014, 08:18:04 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your interesting story.

I know the story, It sometimes is difficult to find the right violin bow.

I first used a carbon bow; wich was ok, but something was missing ...

I now play with a CH. N. Bazin bow (after trying many pernambuco made French old violin bows), and that is a complete different story (-:

More detail in the sound, and a more powerful sound is the result.

I found it on europeanviolins website.

Good luck,

Renzo

Offline Illinoisfiddler

• Total Badges: 28
    500 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Linux User
Re: Bow shopping: Got a Marco Raposo
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2014, 06:44:22 AM »
I would have to agree with you on carbon fiber bows. I now have a Codabow Aspire and a Codabow Diamond GX, which is a top line bow. They are very consistent, smooth, durable, and playable. The tone is good even, but there is something--a coldness, maybe?--in the tone that I don't get with wood bows. I agree wood bows can have many quirks which can detract, but the tone, even through a pickup, is warm and inviting with the pernambuco bows. I like having a couple CF bows in the arsenal, but my go to almost always is a pernambuco bow.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal