Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Robert Petrie's collection abc's  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Robert Petrie's collection abc's
« on: May 07, 2004, 03:39:48 PM »
Hi, I posted this over on the European forum (in this thread: http://www.fiddleforum.com/fiddleforum/index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=3875) but thought I'd note it here in case anyone's interested:  My abc transcription of Robert Petrie's first tunebook (Scottish, 1790) is now on the web at http://www.nigelgatherer.com//tunes/abc/petr.html.  I tried to format the code to be more easily readable for those people who don't bother to convert it first and would be interested in any comments about the format.  This is the version with only the melody line, not the 2-voice version including the bass continuo that I posted about earlier; that's coming soon (hopefully)! -Steve W.

Offline icehawk

Level 5 Super Combination Combination
Re:Robert Petrie's collection abc's
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 08:24:20 PM »
Just bookmarked your site. Thanks for the work. I haven't had a chance to do more than glance. But it looks good.

Icehawk

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:29:33 PM »
I should probably clarify that this is Nigel Gatherer's website, not mine; the Petrie tunebook is just a small portion of what's on the website.  -Steve W.

Offline Keeso

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 07:57:08 PM »
Thanks for transcribing that collection -- some good stuff in there. These ABC tune collections are fun to pour over ... I especially like "Miss Farquharson of Invercauld's Jigg."

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2004, 04:32:45 PM »
If anyone's interested, I've completed the 2-voice version of this transcription, which includes a bass line intended for cello or harpsichord.  It's not yet posted on the web but I'd be happy to send a copy of the file to anyone who drops me a line.  Translating 2-voice abc code is unfortunately a little problematic; this transcription was done in BarFly, which adheres to the current abc specification and the proposed draft extensions, but it doesn't work very well in other readers without some modification (I included instructions on how to edit it for the tune-o-tron converter and other readers in the file).  I'm a little bummed out; I didn't expect that it would be so difficult to come up with something that would work on different readers.  Oh well... -Steve

Offline robert.fallis

• Use the Bow, Luke.

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2004, 05:46:00 PM »
thanks steve,
they look nice, bookmarked the page will return to it latter

bob

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2004, 06:20:54 PM »
If anyone's interested, I've completed the 2-voice version of this transcription, which includes a bass line intended for cello or harpsichord.  It's not yet posted on the web but I'd be happy to send a copy of the file to anyone who drops me a line.

Someone pointed out a minor error I made in the first tune (of the 2-voice version).  I don't think I've kept a complete list of who I sent this file to, so if you'd like a corrected version, let me know.  Also I think I now have a version that will display correctly on the Concertina.net Tune-o-Tron (although it won't work with its midi function); let me know if you're interested in that. -Steve

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2004, 02:09:55 AM »
And now my transcription of Robert Petrie's 2nd collection (1795, 70 tunes) is also on Nigel's website, at http://www.nigelgatherer.com//tunes/abc/petr2.html.  Some nice tunes in this one; I think it's my favorite of the four that Petrie published. -Steve
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2004, 02:10:42 AM by Steve_W »

Offline B natural

• Total Badges: 24
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2004, 08:27:34 PM »
Just checking out your tunes on the second collection of Petrie. Thanks for doing that great resource Steve and the work you and guys like you are doing to make Scottish music available worldwide through abc is just fantastic.

Many thanks.

Rob.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal