Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: ABC-NVO  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Fisherdec

• I'm lazy and won't edit my profile.

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
ABC-NVO
« on: May 06, 2004, 01:55:49 AM »
This is ABC-NVO:
K=key
M=meter
T=tempo
T2=time signature
C/t=treble clef
C/b=base clef
C/a=alto clef
#=sharp
n=natural
p=flat
I=instrument
m(lowercase)=major
m2(lowercase)=minor
r=rest
-=slur
||=end
|:=repeat
setup:First letter means string, then followed by ; means the note.
example: G;A    <this means an "A" note on G-string ;D
A specific number after note refers to the note value
1=quarter
1.=dotted quarter
2=half
2.=dotted half
4=whole
4.=dotted whole
8=eighth
8.=dotted eighth
16=sixteenth
32=thirty second
3'=a three like this in front means a triplet
Full setup woulb be this:

C/t I=violin K=Gm T2=4/4 T=110
G;G1-G;A1 G;B1-G;C1 D;D1-D;E1 D;F1-D;G1 ||

Tell me what you thin about ABC-NVO.
An easy way to write down your original compositions.

example piece:
I=violin K=Bpm T2=4/4 T=120
G;B8 D;F8 D;D8 A;B8 D;F8 A;D8 A;B8 E;F8 A;D8 E;B8 E;F8 A;D8 A;B8 E;F8 A;D8 A;B8 D;F8 A;C8 A;A8 E;F8 A;C8 E;A8 E;F8 E;B8 E;A8 E;F8 A;C8 E;A8 E;F8 A;C8 A;A8 D;F8 D;D8 A;B8 D;F8 A;D8 A;B8 E;F8 A;D8 A;B8 D;G8 A;D8 A;B8 E;G8 A;D8 E;B8 E;G8 A;D8 D;E8 A;C8 D;G8 E;E8 A;C8 E;G8 E;E8 A;C8 D;En8 A;B8 D;G8 E;En8 A;B8 E;G8 E;E8 A;B8 A;A8 E;F8 A;C8 A;A8 D;F8 G;C8 G;A8 G;C8 D;F8 A;A8 A;C8 E;En8 E;F8 E;F#8 E;G8 E;A8 E;B8 A;D8 E;Fn8 A;B8 A;D8 D;F8 A;B8 D;D8 D;F8 G;B8 D;D8 D;F8 A;B8 A;D8 E;F8 E;B8

This is just a sample so the song is incomplete but that it just to test ur reading skizillz

A be sure to notify me on what you think of ABC-NVO
A roses beauty is only apparent when it is known>I madeth

Offline Steve_W

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Re:ABC-NVO
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 03:38:51 PM »
At first glance I think this looks less useful than abc.  For me, the lack of bar lines makes it difficult to read quickly and the need to specify both the note and the string it's played on means it'll be slower to write than abc (I do like the idea of being able to specify the string, but in most cases this info is unneeded; abc's method of specifying the octave of a note is more useful).  It looks to me like it would be difficult to code a software reader for this system.

I'd be interested to hear what you think the advantages are over abc. -Steve W. (edited 5/6)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 04:13:56 PM by Steve_W »

Offline simon

• Total Badges: 28
    Apple User Search Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 04:41:25 PM »
Kudos to you Fisherdec if you've come up with this yourself. I'm afraid I have to agree with Steve though. ABC is basically the standard for this type of thing, so if you're going to make an alternative that people will use, it'll have to do things that ABC can't. I guess some fiddlers or other string players might like the idea of specifying the string, and it might even make it easier to write software for generating tab. Unforunately it also means it's not as useful as ABC for players of non-stringed instruments. Not that anyone really cares about flute players of course, but still ...

Offline Fisherdec

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 01:05:20 AM »
Thanx for the input guys. I'll try and work harder on improving this. I'll try and think of some better stuff to add to ABC-NVO. It was really kinda of a test/sketch idea. Maybe I'll think of some better methods and easier ways to use and write it.

Offline concertA

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 02:51:38 AM »
It's nice to have everything together on a list.  And thanks for answering my dotted note question.

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 05:50:37 AM »
Fisherdec, I'm still curious about why you're trying to invent a new notation system instead of just using abc.  Do you see specific things lacking in abc that you're trying to address?  Considering there are thousands of tunes already posted in abc, I would think that whatever you come up would have to have incredible advantages in order to attract any users!

ConcertA, you do realize that his system is NOT abc, right? -Steve
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 10:50:58 PM by Steve_W »

Offline fiddlebob

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2004, 08:23:46 PM »
Anyone ever thought about just reading plain old sheet music.  It seems a lot simpler that what I have seen here.

Fiddlebob

Offline Steve_W

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2004, 06:15:28 PM »
Fiddlebob, I think you're missing the point.  Most people don't actually read abc directly, they dump it into a converter that outputs sheet music or midi.  

One impetus behind using abc and similar languages is to provide a simple way of sharing tunes via the internet.  For example, my transcription of the Petrie tunebook contains 52 tunes and is only 76k, which is easily attached to an e-mail for sharing.  Anyone with a good abc reader can then convert it into pdf sheet music.  Further, since abc files are text-based they are web-searchable (unlike sheet music posted as graphic files, for example).  You can google any of the tune names in my transcription, followed by 'abc' and you'll find a URL for them (pretty good for a tunebook that's been out of print for over 200 years!).  

There are a bunch of other advantages to a text-based format.  For example, JC's abc tunefinder at http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html is a web crawler that provides access to thousands of tunes posted on the web in abc format, and can output in midi or several graphics formats in addition to the abc code.  Think about how many tunebooks you'd need to cover this in sheet music.  Also, JC's can do 'contour searches': if you don't know the name of the tune or the notes but vaguely know the melody (i.e., whether a note is higher or lower than the preceding one) you can search for it.  How much effort would be required to index this off sheet music?

As you can probably guess, I'm fairly passionate about abc.  I realize it does have its limitations (it's no good for notating complex bowings, and it's not great at handling multiple voices, to name a couple) but I think it's a very elegant system! -Steve Wyrick

Offline Fisherdec

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2004, 12:50:54 AM »
Ok fiddlebob, that really helps out a lot. see I didn't know abc could be converted from a program. Alright I guess that was a waste of time  :P

Offline dalebygod

• Worlds Greatest Friend To All
  • Fiddle Hell Organiser
  • Hush! I'm thinking about georgie.
    • old'n in the way

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Re: ABC-NVO
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2004, 06:22:52 PM »
OK! I'm with you fellars'. But I don't know how to count note per measure either. I mean that I don't know a 8th note from a 10th note. I know how many beat in a measure, but some of the notes have dots by them and some have flags on the top. Some have more than one flag too. I do know what a whole note look like.
got a minute? check this out!
www.fiddlehell.com

Offline Martin

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Re: ABC-NVO
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2004, 05:08:51 PM »
OK! I'm with you fellars'. But I don't know how to count note per measure either. I mean that I don't know a 8th note from a 10th note. I know how many beat in a measure, but some of the notes have dots by them and some have flags on the top. Some have more than one flag too. I do know what a whole note look like.

The whole notes still have the shell on.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal