Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Bradivarius pickup  (Read 43643 times)

Offline shimmy

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Linux User Eighth year Anniversary
Re: Bradivarius pickup
« Reply #150 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »
I've been using his bridge for like 6 years now.

Among the dozens of pickups I tried I kept on sticking to this, and in addition with the Fishman Aura I get a result I love.
It does have a downside, that it's a soft bridge. I actually spoke to Brad about it and he insisted that the soft bridge is the main reason of having such a nice tone output.
The problem of soft bridge is: 1) harder to carve. 2) when you tone 1 string the other strings gets a little detuned too until it stabilizes so takes longer to tune the violin. 3) the bridge has a tendency to bend so you have to be extra cautious and always watch its shape.

I have his phone number and his email, so I'll be able to give it to you should you send me a private message.

Offline fiddler542

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #151 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:08:08 AM »
Thanks shimmy and fiddledeedee.  I looked at the obit for his wife, she was born the same year as me and passed away on my birthday last year.  It's very sad news and I hope Brad is doing ok.  I'll send him an email. 

Offline sdnalloh

• Forum Friend
  • It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

• Total Badges: 29
    Quick Poster Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #152 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
I bought a Bradivarius bridge from Brad in January 2015, and at the time he wasn't selling bridges through his website. He told me through email that his wife was having health problems and he didn't want to be overwhelmed by orders through his website. But he sold me a bridge anyway.

I'm saddened to hear that his wife passed away. I can only imagine how hard it must be for him, especially if he'd been helping her battle cancer for a number of years.

Offline madmat

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #153 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:38:40 AM »
Brad & Pat are wonderful people, they did travel down to Dave Reiner's Fiddle Hell Groton a couple of times, with the pickups (when he still made them with rigid piezo crystals, instead of the polyvinyl diene flouride/PVDF elements) some of his acoustic B-bender guitars and his fiddles. He was the touring steel guitarist with Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen for a while!

Worth sending him a note.
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline GovernorSilver

• Total Badges: 18
    Quick Poster Fourth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #154 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
Sorry to hear about his wife.

I'm satisfied with the Bradivarius on my viola.  It's leaning towards the scroll/tuning pegs at the moment, but I think that's more the fault of the strings changing with the climate/humidity - been playing too much on electric instruments, and when I don't play the viola for a while, it punishes me by allowing the strings to detune considerably. 

I'm sure the bridge will be fine after I have a local shop look at it.

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #155 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:39:43 PM »
Wow... didn't realize he was a Commander Cody member.  When did he start making the pickups with polyvinyl parts?
sheryl

Offline madmat

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
« Reply #156 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:58:39 PM »
Wow... didn't realize he was a Commander Cody member.  When did he start making the pickups with polyvinyl parts?
2013/2014? I remember the element switched sides, and he started shipping them with a chinrest with a built-in jack.  He was always experimenting!

I put one of those on a Bellafina Chin Cello and ran it through one of the Fishman Dreadnought "impulse modeller" pedals, it sounds great and is pretty feedback-resistant.
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #157 on: Feb 28, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
Cool .. I guess I've got one of his older ones.  I'll have to remember this when I'm in the market for a new bridge.
sheryl

Offline onlyme

• Total Badges: 24
« Reply #158 on: Mar 11, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
I have to agree to what Shimmy wrote earlier on. Bridge is a bit on the soft side. But understand Brads point of view as well. I`m still running my fiddle through the Bradivarius with polyvinyl pu and it needs a little add of a minimic through the Headway EDB2 to get a pleasant enough acoustic fiddle sound. Still happy enough with the Bradivarius pu after playing the Fishman V 100, AKG C 411, Schertler Stat v, LR Baggs bridge pu and older Bradivarius pu bridge for quite a few years before.

Offline onlyme

« Reply #159 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07:27:17 AM »
What happened to the Bradivarius (maker)? His webside is not existing anymore.

Offline shimmy

« Reply #160 on: Jun 23, 2019, 06:26:03 AM »
Broke my Bradivarius about a year ago, and couldn't find a pickup that will satisfy me since.
Have tried several none that came close to the massive full sound the Bradivarius gave.
I heard that unfortunately Brad's wife passed away, and haven't been able to talk to him since.
I wish I could a couple of those pickups too.

Offline shimmy

« Reply #161 on: Aug 14, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »
Over the last year a lot happened.
The violin that had the Bradivarius bridge on it for quite some years was stolen.
I've since tried few expensive other bridges and wasn't happy with. I miss the Bradivarius I wish I could get a new one.
Looks like he's indeed out of business, his website went dead as well, and doesn't take phone calls.

Offline Titch

• Sonic Electro-Acoustic Violins
    • Sonic Violins

• Total Badges: 35
    Apple User Quick Poster Mobile User
« Reply #162 on: Aug 14, 2019, 11:45:15 AM »
Have you tried one of these?

https://ithacastring.com/isi-pickup/

From your post, I would think not ;-)
{=/=}===++

www.sonicviolins.co.uk
Electro-Acoustic Violin Systems

Offline shimmy

« Reply #163 on: Aug 14, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
I actually did, it's actually the best of those I tried, but Bradivarius made me happier. It's also quite pricey and I have more than one violin.
Anyway, can't really judge cuz was used on a different violin.

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #164 on: Aug 15, 2019, 01:44:05 PM »
I have a few Bradbridges laying around...
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline onlyme

« Reply #165 on: Mar 20, 2020, 07:24:11 PM »
Im investing in a LRBaggs pu/ bridge again but in a different way. I used Baggs for quite a few years, then discovered the Bradivarius "first" bridgemodell, changed to the SkyinBow and back to the Bradivarius "second" model. I remembered what somebody posted here a few years ago, that LRBaggs fit their pu into a bridge which you send to LR Baggs. I asked Brad a few years ago, if he could put in his pu into a bridge which I would send to him. His answer was no. Why did I asked him?
I realised through the SkyinBow episode that the 2 bridges my luthier made for my fiddle produced a much better acoustic sound. Last December I changed to Bradivarius bridge against one of the once made bridges from my luthier which I still had and again the acoustic sound was much better. Compact, balanced and fatter and woodier tone throughout all the strings, nice e string sound and somehow more definition and easier playing. By that time I had contacted LR Baggs, asking if they could put their pu into 2 bridges which I will send them over. They agreed but wrote back that it might be possible that their pu might not work with some bridges which they ve experienced in the past with various bridges which they got from fiddlers. I have an old Baggs bridge with the pu cut out. I went to my luthier and asked him to cut 2 new bridges for my violins, left that old Baggs bridge with him as a guideline how much or little he can cut out and how much space he should leave here and there for the Baggs pu. When I get them back he can cut out the rest or whatever is needed.
Sent the bridges on the 6th of February from Germany. LR Baggs got them 2 days ago, means 6 weeks later. No idea why it took so long at the customs. Maybe they tested the bridges on their violins to see if the material is wood and not some herbs pressed together looking like a wooden bridge. Yesterday LR baggs wrote that they have a shutdown from today onwards, same as over here in Germany. Means I have to wait for... nobody can tell. Bar from the massive problems caused by the Corona virus and therefore delay, Im not worried about the maybe poorer amplified sound of the LR Baggs bridge in comparison with the Bradivarius. Using the Tonedexter now Im quite certain that the Tonedexter will somehow level it out because of the better acoustic sound with the bridges made by my luthier.
I hope everybody is and stays well while we are facing a crisis that probably none of us had experienced before. Not knowing how long this will last and how much is left of everything after all.

Offline onlyme

« Reply #166 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:02:18 AM »
I am writing to let the world know that the forum and members are still active (and alive). Update on the above mentioned LR Baggs fiddle pu. LR Baggs managed to built in their fiddle pu into the violin bridges which I sent them at the beginning of February. They are still in transit but landed and passed the customs here in Germany. Im awaiting a notification when they are going to arrive at my home daily. Nearly half a year later. Good things take time. Fortunately a few last minute gigs show up here in Germany but only open air.

Offline Titch

• Sonic Electro-Acoustic Violins
    • Sonic Violins

• Total Badges: 35
    Apple User Quick Poster Mobile User
« Reply #167 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:32:56 AM »
I actually did, it's actually the best of those I tried, but Bradivarius made me happier. It's also quite pricey and I have more than one violin....

I honestly believe that investing in a product that does the job is well worth any investment.
Just reading your following posts you may be spending a good deal of money and time chasing the same outcome?

For those, and I include myself, that enjoy the technical challenge that may still be a worthwhile pursuit, but for many buying "cheap" often means buying twice...or more. I have fitted hundreds of ISI transducer bridges over the years, all are still going strong and delivering excellent results at tens of thousands of gigs each year - except 2020 :-(

Live music here in the UK, as elsewhere, has been devastated. I can not see a safe return to gigging and festivals until there is either a vaccine or death defying treatment. I hope support is given to the arts, any loss will result in a direct loss to our individual humanity.

{=/=}===++

www.sonicviolins.co.uk
Electro-Acoustic Violin Systems

Offline onlyme

« Reply #168 on: Jul 07, 2020, 09:55:24 PM »
Finally the 2 LR Baggs pus built into the 2 sent bridges arrived and I handed them over to my trusted luthier for more necessary finer adjustments. But from now on he is on a 3 weeks holiday which means that I have to wait for another while. Never ending story.
After all Im absolutely pleased with the support from LR Baggs from the first time Id contacted them. The delay wasnt their fault at all. I had various issues about different subjects concerning violin/fiddle amplification with other well known names/brands in the US over the years with no answers at all from some of them even after I had bought some of their products.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal