Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Home recording  (Read 605 times)

Offline Nick2

• Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Home recording
« on: May 26, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »
I haven't posted for a while and this isn't a recording of me playing!
There are a couple of posts about not being able to play tunes with others with everything being shut down at the moment.
It's been a real drag this year for me too as I had a year of good festival gigs with the band lined up for 2020 and everything's been cancelled :(  However...

One of the good things that's come out of it has been being forced to do some recordings with the band from home.  We used to practice every week together but after the lockdown started we got together by WhatsApp then ZOOm and decidided to continue working on new songs by recording them.

We all each downloaded Cakewalk Sonar from BandLab - which is a full-on suite of studio DAW software and which is FREE!
I'm very impressed . As well as all the usual facilities it's got a whole load of effects, reverbs,  midi instruments, drumkits and so on that just come with the standard set up.

So what we do now is get a guide track of some sort- usually a mini recorder capture of one of our old rehearsal sessions where we were working on new stuff.. then the drummer uses that to do a drum part, send to the rest of us via onedrive or dropbox, we load it into Cakewalk and then add our bits and send our wavs round to the others to drop into their software, BIt by bit a mix is built up. 

The great thing about it is that we can all do our own versions of the mix, add in extra tracks or ideas, double track ourselves or whatever.

The aim wasn't to do a full blown studio album,  but to get the new material worked up to the point of getting a decent recording that could be used for video sound tracks, social media etc.

The setup doesn't need to be that complicated or expensive. Apart from the software you'll need some headphones (though I have done it even with earpieces off a phone) a microphone or two - I used in a straightforward Shure SM86 stage mic- yes I know it's not a studio mic but it actually sounds better with a fiddle than a lot of fancy ribbons and LD condensers I've tried in the past, and some sort of audio-digital interface. 

So far it has worked amazingly well so just thought I'd share that experience.

In other lockdown news I've continued learning the guitar. Chords are at last now meaning something to me!  I'm going to have to read all Blues' old posts about scales again!
Now ear this!

Offline aaldjul53

• Total Badges: 6
    Level 2 10 Posts One year Anniversary
Re: Home recording
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 08:30:16 PM »
Hi Nick2,

Yep!, it sounds good what you're achieving with the technology and the passing round of practice material.
I hope it works well for the group, and keeps you all 'band ready' for when you can start again.
My partner Greta and I, took the 'other' approach, as technology has passed us by....
As we live a distance apart, we decided to pick a couple of tunes, to both learn individually, just for our own amusement, and when we're allowed to meet up again, play them, and knock off the rough edges, and see what we come up with !
Oh! and by the way, yes..we both decided on the key to play it in, so that's a start at least !
Best wishes also, on your guitar playing, as long as you're still intending to play fiddle.

aaldjul53

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths
    • madfiddler - Electric Violinist

• Total Badges: 44
    Mobile User Level 7 5000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2020, 10:17:26 PM »
That all sounds great Nick
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra membership privileges.

Offline Emma

• Senior Moderator
  • If you can walk, you can dance.

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Quick Poster Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2020, 11:48:37 PM »
I watched your band's youtube video, Nick, and really liked it. I'd like to hear more! Will you be uploading any more recordings or videos?
Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.
(Michael Pollan)

Offline Nick2

• Ape of scrape

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2020, 10:47:27 PM »
There are three of them up there now Emma, but judging from how long it took me to read this you've probably seen them already! :o
Now ear this!

Offline Emma

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »
I can't remember how to find the videos, Nick. Can you post a link?
(Michael Pollan)

Offline Nick2

• Ape of scrape

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »
All three can be got via our sounds page  on this link Emma.. http://www.theredhills.uk/sounds.htm
Now ear this!

Offline Emma

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2020, 09:05:57 PM »
Thanks Nick! I look forward to having a listen later today.
(Michael Pollan)

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal