Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Review Video: electric violin and Strymon Deco. hat do you think?  (Read 551 times)

Offline Yiannis

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
Hello all!

Here is the link to my newest review video. Strymon Deco is really versatile and soudns awesome with the electric violin.
Have a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JUlUQYdF0

Cheers,
Yiannis

Offline pluwin

• Forum Friend

• Total Badges: 27
    Avatar Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
Hi Yiannis, this pedal has been on my radar for quite a while. I love the versatility. Strymon makes good stuff. Thank you for showing it!

Iím still a bit curious what the character of the saturation is, though.
I can imagine such an effect is perfect through full range speakers.

Do you use any high end roll off, speaker sim or a different kind of amplifier for the saturated sounds?
Or is the saturation the Deco produces really suitable for an acoustic amp?
Normally, when I use any distortion pedal through an acoustic amp itís much too gritty and fizzy for my taste.
Regards!

Offline Yiannis

Hey Pluwin,

I know what you mean, especially with fuzz effects. I am using the Schertler Giulia, which is an acoustic amplifier. This means, it is a full range wide response amp/speaker. To my ears, it sounds very nice.
But more importantly, I would say that it depends on the music you play. If this is rock/metal or similar 'heavy' genres, maybe it would be great to try the overdive of a tube amp. Althou we know that the electric guitar amps tend to push the middle region higher, maybe it fits to your sound.
Although I use drive sounds rarely when playing live, whenever we practice new stuff and for the music I am playing, it sounds good as it is.

Hope it helped!

Cheers,
Yiannis

Offline pluwin

• Forum Friend

• Total Badges: 27
    Avatar Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
Hey Yiannis!

Yes, it helps, thank you! Schertler makes great amps; your clean sound is very good.
Distorted sounds are just so hard to judge on youtube because it depends on the microphone.
What microphone did you use for this clip?

Regards

Offline Yiannis

Hey Pluwin,

Thank you for your kind comments. By the way, you just remined me that i forgot to mention the recording equipment on the video :)
I recorded the audio with a Zoom H6 I borrowed. The sound is much better than on my previous videos where I (regretfully) used only the microphone of the camera I am using for the video.

For my next video I will be using my cellphone camera for the video (it is much better than the video quality of my old camera) and a Tascam DP006 pocket studio that has two good microphones as an audio recorder.

Regards,
Ioannis

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal