Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: What Are You Currently Working On?  (Read 24263 times)

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Re: What Are You Currently Working On?
« Reply #125 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:53:09 PM »
I have to confess that technical discussion of scales generally causes me to glaze over and nod.....errr where was I?
But I did have a look at that wiki on bebop scales, cos I quite like bebop!
So they seem to my resistant understanding  be ordinary scales but with an extra semitone note bunged in somewhere, so that you can start each bar on the  root note as you slither up and down?
Now ear this!

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #126 on: Mar 07, 2018, 11:28:55 PM »
yup, that's about it. and yes, it's very cool the way the notes fall on beat with the chord tones like you said. the trick is where the semi-tone passing tones are placed.

I'll write the notes out for those 2 in G, in hopes that you will take a run at them. where the semi tones are placed makes a big difference in the sound of the scale.

G A Bb B Db D E Gb G A Bb B Db D this is a majorish swingy sounding scale. I think this one sounds best ascending.

I'm gonna write this one descending from D on A string
D Db C Bb A G F E D Db C Bb A G....this is a very bluesy sounding scale.

I've been practicing these mostly to a 12 bar shuffle (lilted or something like that) but you can also play them 'straight'

c'mon Nick give 'em a try. pretty sure you won't be disappointed. but if you are, I'll send you a one year supply of delicious Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco Treat.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2018, 03:11:08 AM by bluesviolin »
"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

« Reply #127 on: Mar 10, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
As a warm-up yesterday, I just played a load of major and minor scales, each with a bonus semitone , moving up one finger at a time on each string.
That certainly kept me awake!
Now that's probably a proper bebob jazz exercise, I probably should have learned about 8 new scale names and probably should have learned which chords they went with.

But life's too short.   I went on and dug out some nice tunes from Donegal that I learnt last year and had forgotten. "Fermoy Lasses" and "The Ewe with one Horn".
 ;)

Now ear this!

Offline GovernorSilver

• Total Badges: 18
    Quick Poster Fourth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »

Now that's probably a proper bebob jazz exercise, I probably should have learned about 8 new scale names and probably should have learned which chords they went with.

Unfortunately, there's no one-to-one relationship between a scale and a chord.  The major scale for example is the source of 7 triad chords. 

Bad news... or great news... a matter of perspective I suppose. ;)

Offline GovernorSilver

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
Back from vacation, so back to more revisiting some basics.

This time it's the first glissando exercise from the Ricci on Glissando book.  In addition to the F Major scale on the E string, I'm also working on the other strings, transposing as appropriate. 

I modified the approach a bit to be more compatible with the half-way instrument support method advocated by Julie Lyon Lieberman - half the weight on the hand, half supported by the chin resting on the chinrest.  Ricci is an advocate of supporting the instrument on the hand, with the butt of the violin against the chest I think.  Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where this modified method leads.

Offline GovernorSilver

« Reply #130 on: Jun 26, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »
Still doing the first gissando exercise.   ;D

I did get back on the Bach train at least.  Cello Suite No. 2 Prelude for viola, and Invention No. 2 from the "Play Along with Bach book by Barry Galbraith. 

I finally unboxed my Keith McMillen 12-Step foot pedal and connected it to my iPad to play drone notes.  When the music, say, shifts to an F# minor tonality, I just step on the F# pedal and now I have a pitch I can play against in my practice.  It's such a huge help for practicing the Bach stuff. 

Offline GovernorSilver

« Reply #131 on: Oct 04, 2018, 02:51:04 AM »
Started practicing with this upright bass-only video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMluffjGiZE

I mostly practice the melody to Mr. PC, until I'm satisfied with the execution of the melody - for the day, then I start improvising simple melodic ideas. 

There will always be room for improvement in how I play the melody as far as tone, timing, etc. goes, but if I wait until perfection, they'll be picking up my corpse - dead from old age - still holding the violin.  Eventually I want to record a jam, like I did on guitar.

Offline Graham Clark

Apple User Mobile User Search
« Reply #132 on: Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:45 AM »
Trying to regain some finger independence and articulation after months, no, years , of not practising, almost at all.

Started with some simple Schradiek exercises, and the Flesch Urstudien to get the left hand a little more limber.

It is amazing how quickly things return...

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #133 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:37:32 AM »
...after months, no, years , of not practicing, almost at all.

Yikes! ...makes me feel better about not doing much practicing these days either. My excuse is that I've been doing so much busking, even going back out in the evenings, I don't have the time or the energy.

So...I decided to work on something while busking, which is making high jumps from the 1st position to around the fourth, or somewhere up there.

I got a tip from another forum to 'hear' the note that you want to hit in your head just before you make the Leap of Faith. This has worked very well for me. I've got 5 or so busking tunes where I can make a jump like this, and I'm nailing the note 88% to 94% of the time (rough estimate ;D)
"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

« Reply #134 on: Oct 22, 2019, 05:34:55 PM »
I'm still doing the Flesch left hand exercises that Graham recommended. They do seem to help.
Been leaning to play some basic guitar this year.  May help a bit in my understanding of all the chord + scale discussions!
Now ear this!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal