Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Quite a few recordings of Old Revoiced Violins on Youtube  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Royce

• Total Badges: 6
    Badges: (View All)
    Search Windows User Topic Starter
Quite a few recordings of Old Revoiced Violins on Youtube
« on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
Hi, My name is Royce and I've been collecting and dealing in old fiddles/violins for about 25 years or so. I've got a lot of these old fiddles recorded on my youtube account "burtvillefarms" Many of these old violins have been revoiced and sound great for fiddling. Some of you might be interested in at least hearing how these old fiddles sound. Now I'm not the best fiddler by any means but play well enough to hear the potential in the hands of a good player.

I also play the banjo but don't hold that against me. Anyway, just thought some folks might be interested in hearing some of these old fiddles. I put a few new ones up each month as I get them completed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/burtvillefarms/videos?view_as=public

thanks
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2013, 07:28:40 PM by Royce »

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Quite a few recordings of Old Revoiced Violins on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
Hi Royce - I have been watching a few of the videos you posted via fiddlehangout..

For me it sounds quite intriguing - revoicing a fiddle is certainly not something that gets done here in Denmark very often.

I know you probably wont tell exactly what is being done to the fiddles - but is there any possibility of some measurements of the sound, maybe even before and after?
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline Royce

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
There is no big secret involved other than knowing how to map out and graduate the plates properly.   I have several recipes for the sound I want to achieve.   It's all science.   For Fiddling the recipe I use basically gives the violin more depth, volume, darkness in tone, smooth e string and response.    Many of the old violins are too heavy in the plates to produce the kind of tones that many fiddlers are searching for.   If you lived here and could try one out against what you are used to you would be able to see the difference easily.   With this being said I have a recipe for violins that are meant for classical players also. 
In a nutshell, revoicing a violin is quite an undertaking.  I didn't learn how to do this overnight.  The things that I do are not out of the boudaries of good violin making fundimentals.  Anotherwords, I don't do anything that a top maker wouldn't do if he knew how to do what I'm doing.

Steps in this process include:

Removing the top (with no damage)
Taking old Bass Bar out
Regraduating top plate to recipe
Proper thicknessing of the ribs
Regraduating the back plate (to improve response)
Add new bass bar (correct length and angle)
Repair any old cracks properly (add cleats)
Add special recipe sauce (wood treatment)
Polish inside plates
Glue top back on including making sure neck angle is perfect
Plane fingerboard, finish sand, polish ect
add new nut if necessary
touch up varnish where necessary
Add new properly fit bridge
Add perfectly fit soundpost
Add new pegs fit well
Helicore medium, wittner tailpiece , guarneri chinrest....ect
Play for a week making small adjustments until you've gotten the best out of it.  

Lots of steps and know how involved in this process.   These fiddles will really perform.

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2013, 07:59:28 AM »
Thanks for the thorough answer.
- What is a good fiddle for revoicing? Does it have to be old?
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline Royce

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2013, 03:30:55 PM »
The violins that I like to revoice are violins that have an insignificant pedigree. Generally speaking, I won't take a known maker's violin and alter it. I tend to stick with German and French violins that have good quality old wood.
For example the old trade violins made in Germany from 1900-1920 usually are constructed well on the outside and were made by skilled makers. The problem was that they were making so many of them that they neglected to finish the graduations properly. Many of the old bars in them are short and the plates are too thick for the violin to sound good.

The old violins already have good old seasoned wood so basically you'll have a nice sound if you get it regraduated properly. I don't do all of them exactly the same because over the years I've gotten a pretty good feel of the characteristics of the wood of each violin. Some of the wood is soft and some is dense and has a tighter grain. Wood that may be a little soft may need a bar with a bit more mass to it overall. Once I measure the original measurements (thickness) of an old violin (top, back, and ribs) I then formulate the plan for that particular instrument. Sometimes the original grads are not too far off from being acceptable but usually they are not even close.

It seems the best sounding violins power and depth wise are the ones that have a little thicker back plate in the center.

I have done this recipe on new instruments and it works on them as well but I like working on the old violins. There are plenty of folks revoicing Chinese instruments and my niche is working on the old instruments. They generally will have a more mature tone.

I do have some nice old instruments that have pedigree as well and they are what they are and I leave them alone. Usually they don't perform as well as the ones that I've revoiced.

One thing I have learned in dealing with lots of players over the years is that you need an assortment to choose from. Not everyone is looking for the same tone. The revoiced violins tend to be darker sounding instruments. Smooth E string, mellower more rounded tone overall.

I've sold lots of these violins to good players and the reviews are really good.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2013, 03:43:28 PM by Royce »

Offline philsskills

• Total Badges: 26
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Signature
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2013, 10:33:02 PM »
Hi Royce, I admire your skills.  Well done and Welcome to the forum from Scotland.

Regards,

Phil
Regards,

Phil

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »
Is there a reason that you choose to fit Helicores on all the violins?

Offline Royce

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »
thanks for the nice Greeting Phil!  This is a neat forum and there are lot of variety of styles here.   

Henrik,  I used Helicore strings as a baseline for these fiddles.  They are a good overall set of strings that work for a variety of fiddling.  I know not everyone prefers these strings and each individual has to choose what works best for them.   The helicore strings do have a pretty good response and are fairly warm and lots of fiddlers like the way  they sound.   Many of the old time fiddlers seem to like the Prim strings.  For my taste, they are a little too metallic sounding.    By the way, I listened to some of your recordings and you're a very good player.  Very accurate and athletic fiddling.

Offline captthighbiter

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2020, 11:28:29 PM »
What is #404 going for Royce?

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal