Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Building my first pedalboard  (Read 945 times)

Offline fiddlerofpalemy

• Total Badges: 0
    Badges: (View All)
Building my first pedalboard
« on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:55:59 AM »
Hi folks,

I am going to try to give my violin different sounds and will bulld my first pedalboard.

Currently playing acoustic violin with a shadow pickup, i thought about the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ, the POG2 and the Line6 DL4 to start. Any pro / cons to those?

Still looking for ideas for wah and distortion pedals working well for strings, any suggestion  / experiences to share?

Thanks!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Advertise Here

Offline pluwin

• Forum Friend

• Total Badges: 27
    Avatar Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
Re: Building my first pedalboard
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »
Hi,

DL4 is great. Downside is that it hasnít got an analog through signal.
So your signal is digitally converted, delay is added, and everything is converted back to analog audio again.
With an analog through pedal, a digital delay is just added, leaving your original sound untouched.
For some people thatís a really big difference, others arenít that picky because if you just like a pedal and it sounds great who cares?
I use a boss analog delay btw. , and sometimes a strymon el capistan.

I have tried many distortion pedals and they each do their own thing.
Most (thousands!) of them are variations and clones of only a few originals, who all do their specific thing: boosting and cutting certain frequencies, using different amounts of compression and ways of clipping.
It can be a rabbit hole.
I use a distortion pedal with active eq and different gain and clipping modes.
You can go from almost uncompressed low gain to extremely high gain.
Gainstacking is the trick here! I boost this pedal with an eq pedal and another lowgain overdrive pedal with gain down as much as possible and volume up. I like to boost low mids for a singing sound.

I also find that distortion/overdrive pedals with a clean blend knob work great for violin. Bassplayers love them too.
You can keep controll over your bowed sound/volume and just mix in the right amount of dirt, without drowning in gain & compression.
Anyway, results vary. It depends on the instrument you use, and also the amp, and how you dial in your amp. So something to consider is the amp/speaker you use. An electric guitar amp speaker (or simulation of it) rolls off the high and superharsh frequencies. Acoustic amps and fullrange speakers will sound horrible with distortion pedals. if you want to use an acoustic amp or fullrange speaker you need speaker simulation.
Personally I love a real guitar amp with a real speaker instead of a digital model of it.
An amp is an instrument on its own.
Last but not least: use the right power. Too much volts will kill your pedals, too less power will kill your sound.
I suggest watching that Pedal Show. Itís for guitar but Iíve learned A LOT from it.

Offline Nashorn

• http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

• Total Badges: 28
    Mobile User Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2020, 07:56:27 AM »
Currently playing acoustic violin with a shadow pickup, i thought about the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ, the POG2 and the Line6 DL4 to start. Any pro / cons to those?

Hi,

these pedals are great, not just for starting out. Soundwise there may be better delays than the DL-4, but it has a more than decent sound. Also it offers a nice variety of different delays, the looper is inspiring and the user interface is very intuitive. I still get mine out from time to time, and don't plan on selling it any time soon, although I now have an expensive Strymon delay on my pedal board.
I can't give any advice on distortion pedals, since I don't really like the sound of distorted violin. And although I play in a loud rock band, I prefer to play mine clean. Also be aware that distortion (and wah for that matter) can lead to feedback problems if you're using it with an acoustic violin.
You may also want to try out a modulation pedal, but which kind totally depends on your taste. I love to use a Small Stone phaser in order to sound like Mahavishnu-Orchestra era Jean-Luc Ponty. If you want to try out different kinds, you could get a multi-effects pedal like a Line6 M5. It offers a variety of different effects and you can try out what works for you.

Offline Nashorn

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2020, 08:00:12 AM »
Oh, and by the way, I totally agree with what pluwin said about getting a good power source with enough amperes for your board. You will avoid many problems that way. Preferably get one with electrically isolated outputs, this can be important if you mix analog with digital effects (like the POG).

Offline fiddlerofpalemy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2020, 08:04:09 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your tips, i spend already some time on youtube to watch the episodes of the pedal show.

Nevertheless, I am a bit confused now for what is about the power supply. As you alrady told, this is a crucial point, and on the other side, I would like to have a multi power supply for the board, just to keep it simple.

Now, it seems that the line6 dl4 would still require its own power supply, of i read correctly, any other suggestions for a nice delay? I was attracted by the preset selays plus looper, do you have any similar to suggest?

Offline pluwin

• Forum Friend

• Total Badges: 27
    Avatar Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:41:41 PM »
You could also buy a seperate loop pedal. Then you can loop and use delay at the same time.
If you have a decent delay pedal with tap tempo, youíve probably got most of your needs covered.

You want suggestions for pedals?
Of course I could suggest a Boss dd200, Keeley echoes or even the Strymon volante... so whatís your budget?

Btw I mostly use a Boss dm-2w.: just a very nice analog delay. Too many knobs or menuís donít work for me in a live situation.
The other two delay pedals I own (and keep) are the strymon el capistan (great tape delay emulator) and the digitech hardwire dl-8 (reliable and simple). Both also have a looper function.

Offline Nashorn

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2020, 08:21:04 AM »
Nevertheless, I am a bit confused now for what is about the power supply. As you alrady told, this is a crucial point, and on the other side, I would like to have a multi power supply for the board, just to keep it simple.

Now, it seems that the line6 dl4 would still require its own power supply, of i read correctly, any other suggestions for a nice delay? I was attracted by the preset selays plus looper, do you have any similar to suggest?

Powering the DL4: Although it says on the box that it needs an AC power supply, it doesn't really need AC (it can be powered by batteries, after all). It is possible to power it with a 9V DC supply, but you will need an adaptor cable to reverse the polarity. It won't work with a center negative cable (which is the usual standard for effects pedals), you need a center positive one. I have done that without any problems. 

Offline fiddlerofpalemy

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2020, 08:33:11 AM »
Great to hear that, I ll continue to read a bit about that to take my decusion, as i will be in store for testing next week.

Budget should not be an issue.

Offline Nashorn

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
You could also buy a seperate loop pedal. Then you can loop and use delay at the same time.

The DL-4 has an extra delay when you use the looper. The only downside is that it doesn't have tap tempo.

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:57:41 PM »
I currently use a Micro Pog, and tried out the Nano Pog (and sent it back).  There was too much tracking delay on the nano.  The micro pog works well, and I would think the Pog2 is also good for violin.
As for any pedal, buy it from a business with a lenient return policy, in the event you get it and it doesn't sound like you think it should.
sheryl

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL