Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Setup for Yamaha YEV 104 electric violin (connecting to audio interface)  (Read 435 times)

Offline JClarisse

• Total Badges: 6
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 2 Search Topic Starter
Hello,
 I am soon going to buy my first electric violin. I have been an acoustic violinist for 20 years so going in, will need some help on how to setup YEV 104. I live on an island bit far away from the rest of the world, so trying out locally is not an option as there are no shops stocking EVs here. But I can get everything online.

My current setup is that I have an audio interface connected to my studio monitor speakers. I wish to plug the violin in the instrument input of the audio interface via the 1/4 inch output jack from the violin. I have heard that YEV 104 has passive pickup, so a pre-amp will be great. So I am also thinking of getting LR Baggs Para DI as pre-amp for YEV 104. And have the output of Para DI connected to the instrument input of audio interface. Will this setup work fine for Yamaha YEV 104?

Thanks,
JC
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2020, 05:39:40 AM by JClarisse »

Offline Benzflieger

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 50 Posts Third year Anniversary
What you’ve described should work fine.
Did have a thought about convenience though...
Assuming you’ve got a fairly standard audio interface that has both mic level inputs (XLR) with phantom power and instrument input (1/4”) inputs, you might consider using the XLR input so that you can take advantage of the phantom power to power the para DI. Otherwise, you’ll have to use a battery to power the para DI since it doesn’t have a convenient way to be externally powered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JClarisse

• Total Badges: 6
    Level 2 Search Topic Starter
Many thanks @Benzflieger for the tip about XLR. Totally makes sense and in fact that's what I will do to connect ParaDI to my Steinberg UR22 audio interface. 

Offline Benzflieger

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 50 Posts Third year Anniversary
Nice. Hope you have good success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal