Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: best rosin for carbon fiber bow advice  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Tabbycat

• Total Badges: 17
    Badges: (View All)
    Combination Level 4 Level 3
best rosin for carbon fiber bow advice
« on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »
I just purchased two carbon fiber bows (a 3/4 Kmise for fiddling and a 4/4 DZ Strad for church orchestra).
I'd like advice about what rosin to use. Since both bows are new, I want to give them each a good start.
Thanks!

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: best rosin for carbon fiber bow advice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:47:32 AM »
The bows don't matter, the hair and what type of reaction you like from the hair does.

I personally like a grippy rosin, which is why I use Jade here in humid Savannah. Most violinists state that it's too much, and I hear Cellists like it BECAUSE it's so grippy. But it's what works best for me, because I don't need much rosin- a couple of swipes every month or so and I'm good- my cake is 15 years old and not 25% gone yet.

So it's hard to make a recommendation without you telling us what you look for.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Tabbycat

• Total Badges: 17
    Combination Level 4 Level 3
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
I'm probably too much of a novice to really know what I want.
My fiddling fiddle has steel strings and my church orchestra violin has synthetic Tonica's.
I already own Jade rosin and Daddario Kaplan Artcraft Dark and an amber-colored cake (Gustave Bernardel). But my ear is so undeveloped that I can't tell the difference, or perhaps my bows have been so low quality.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2019, 09:54:45 PM by Tabbycat »

Offline sdnalloh

• Forum Friend
  • It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

• Total Badges: 29
    Quick Poster Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
I've got a cake of Gustave Bernadel and I'm very pleased with it. I use it for everything. Tried Jade, but it was too grippy. I apply it every time I play, not just "a couple swipes every month or so"!

Pay attention to the attack. How quickly does the bow cause the string to sound? ...with light pressure? ..with heavy pressure (martele)? If the rosin is not grippy enough you may find you have to apply more pressure than you prefer.

Also pay attention to longer notes. Play as quiet as you can. Does the rosin make it easy or difficult to play slowly and quietly?

Ultimately, it all comes down to what feels good under your fingers.

Offline farmerjones

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2020, 01:13:14 AM »
I like Andrea solo, but it's pricey. They started selling half cakes, fortunately. I've heard it's the old Tartini recipe. But as been elluded too, predictability is key. It takes a bit to find out how often to apply, vs.how much and hard one plays. I.e. i never apply the same day of a gig. Unless i'm playing for a few hours prior.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal