Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Synthetics and tuning (constant problem)  (Read 3482 times)

Offline fiddlinj

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary
Synthetics and tuning (constant problem)
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 05:19:34 PM »
I've looked at past posts about Synthetic strings and tuning
I've tried some cheaper synthetics (Pro-Arte, Alphayue, Corelli Crystal) to get a warmer sound as I always gig thru an amp.  I spend all my time TUNING instead of PLAYING while trying these at home.  it is constant and doesn't get better with time - every time I pick up the fiddle, it is Out of Tune and goes out of tune while playing.
Can't imagine trying to gig on these type strings
Haven't tried Dominants, Tonica, and other expensive synthetics but I see - in other posts - they keep stretching too
If someone could, let me know of any synthetic that will hold tune
Just my experience, but I'm not going to fight this - if I need to I'll just stick with Piranitos (a very good steel string and good price) or try Protos, Preludes, Prim etc
Thanks for any suggestions

Offline sdnalloh

• Forum Friend
  • It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

• Total Badges: 29
    Quick Poster Linux User Mobile User
Re: Synthetics and tuning (constant problem)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:53:06 PM »
I used Tonica strings on my acoustic, and I don't find them to go out of tune too much. After you tune them, they hold their tune for a few hours or longer. But the thing is, there is a break-in period, maybe as long as 2 weeks, depending on how often you play.

If the temperature/humidity is fairly constant, they can hold their tune for days or weeks, requiring only minor adjustments.

In comparison, I use Vision strings on my solid body electric. These are also synthetic strings. BUT they stay in tune for weeks! Both violins experience the same temperature/humidity swings, but the wood of the acoustic violin moves more in response, whereas the plastic-body electric doesn't.

Of course, solid metal strings will always hold their tune longer, given the same environmental conditions. But I much prefer the sound and feel of synthetic strings.

Offline kjbllc

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
I also use tonicas and find they stay in tune very well, from day to day with very little tuning. 
1. could be your tuners are slipping slightly?
2/. you play very heavy ?
just guesses

Offline fiddlinj

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:53:42 AM »
No, pegs not slipping and I don't play real heavy (mainly because I'm always using
an amp on gigs)  I think I am just used to steel strings.  Back years ago, and before the internet, they were all you could find at just about any music store.  Even with steel, you need to check tuning (temperature etc) after breaks and whatever reasons.  But, as mentioned in this thread, steel certainly will not keep stretching like a Synthetic I don't think

Offline sdnalloh

• Forum Friend
  • It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

• Total Badges: 29
    Quick Poster Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
I suspect the issue you're having is either:
  • You are still in the break-in period. It's annoying and you just have to tune constantly.
  • The temperature/humidity is changing. Swings in the weather, bringing your instrument from one building to another, etc.

Once your synthetic strings have settled, you should only have to tune them once and they'll stay in tune for hours.

Offline Dan888

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2020, 12:33:54 AM »
I can't say I have this problem with synthetic strings. I usually use either dominants or obligatos, which are my current set. Living in a cold area with heat fluctuations from day to night I'd expect some de-tuning but actually I can leave the violin out for a few days and when I come back to it it's still in tune.

I'd say that either a) your strings are new enough to still be settling, b) your pegs are slipping, or c) the cheaper strings are just not as stable.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal