Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Rosining your strings as well as your bow  (Read 581 times)

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Rosining your strings as well as your bow
« on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:13:37 PM »
Anyone else tried this?   

I stumbled over this bit of advice in a YT video. It was mainly aimed at beginners trying to improve their sound, but, as I have an old fiddle which has quite a thick top plate and seems to need a more effort to "get going" than any of my other fiddles, I just gave it  a go. 

Does seem to work!
Now ear this!

Offline Emma

• Senior Moderator
  • If you can walk, you can dance.

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Quick Poster Nineth year Anniversary
Re: Rosining your strings as well as your bow
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2018, 03:08:54 AM »
How do you do it? And does it make an appalling squeak?
Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.
(Michael Pollan)

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2018, 04:13:07 AM »
I'm constantly taking rosin OFF the strings. Why on earth would I want to put more on?

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
 ;DJust rub a bit off the block direct onto the string.  I can understand why some would question why do it. If I only had my German fiddle, I would do the same. It needs hardly any rosin and gives notes easily without effort on just the weight of the bow, even a light carbon one without much rosin. In fact on that fiddle the problems start when you play too hard!

My old English one is another beast altogether.  It has a much bigger voice , produces a nice tone and has a good range of sounds available off the bow from a gliss up to  roar that will fill up any hall.     

But it needs more effort to get a note going cleanly with the bow . Getting that "dig" at the start of the note I mean. It just won't do it with my CF bow without applying a little extra pressure from the finger/s. It'll gliss rather than scrud even if I move bow contact point down near the fingerboard  .

Not a problem with an Incredibow or a heavy bow , so that' s fine for morris playing. It's not much of a handicap when playing slower pieces either but it is a bit of  a pain when playing lots of fast bowed stuff it needs a heck of a lot more effort to maintain tone and attack on those fast notes.

So I'm glad of any hack that allows me to play more easily with my favourite Arcus bow on the fiddle I like the sound of best.. 
The fiddle has had loads of luthier time to get it set up & optimised and it's already on light tension strings so I doubt there's more that can be done there.

Yeah I know the answer is to get better technique and a better instrument ,  but hey if it works and I have to clean it more often  ;D
Now ear this!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal