Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Peterson StrobePlus HD tuner  (Read 636 times)

Offline graeme

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
Peterson StrobePlus HD tuner
« on: Jun 25, 2018, 01:04:55 AM »
I refently began work with a strobe tuner, from Petersontuners.com.
Mine is the StrobePlusHD, with the metronome upgrade.
I have half a dozen tuners, but whether I choose a  clipon, or tuner sitting in a small tray on top of my music stand, none of them are quite satisfactory for my "monitoring" task.
Sure, all these tuners allow me to tune the open strings, but that is only a small part of keeping in tune all around the instrument (cello, primarily, for me).
All cello and bass players do a lot of shifting.  Even a basic fiddle tune in first position might put the cello as high as 6th position, for a B natural, or C (first position fiddle on E string).
Now this skill is quite readily learned by the cello player, and slowly cellists learn to refernce their intonation from the instrument itself (against open strings, leading note semitones, P4ths and P 5ths, even 3rds and 6ths, and from both natural and artificial harmonics).
But the road to polishing this bucket of intonation skills has many bumps, and the Peterson strobe tuner, with its large, brighly lit screen, very quick response, and strobe read out, means that I can use periphial vision to monitor visually what I'm monitoring aurally, all while focussing on the music I am reading or impovising.
If you are a fiddle player with a mind to learn skills in positions away from the nut, you might appreciate the extra help this tuner can give as you "grow your ears".
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2018, 01:12:56 AM by graeme »

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: Peterson StrobePlus HD tuner
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2018, 07:45:25 AM »
what does it cost?
"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

Offline graeme

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
Re: Peterson StrobePlus HD tuner
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2018, 01:21:59 AM »
Hi Blues,

The basic tuner costs about $(US)140, with another $40 if you buy the metronome option.

I haven't put much time into the metronome side of things (again, I have a bunch of metronomes, and my daily click is the Korg KDM-2 digital), but it seemed like a good idea at the time to get this upgrade option.

On cello, one little thing people do, as they get to know and love a tune, is play it in several positions.  The various intervals in a particular tune can make it quite OK with one "set of positions), quite tricky with another set, and very straight forward with a third set. So, knowing the fingerboard well is useful, and playing with good intonation in the positions and making accurate shifts is a major goal.

Of course, many folk fiddlers don't go down this path. Jazz musicians do, though.

All the best.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal