Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Bow differences  (Read 614 times)

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
Bow differences
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »
This might seem ridiculously obvious but it occurred to me recently, after having my regular bow (an Arcus and very light) rehaird at the same time as  cheapish backup bow (pretty heavy), and a bit of playing on both, that each bow has a unique "balance point" . On heavier bows it is nearer the tip, on lighter ones it is nearer the frog. 

I think of the balance point as the point on the hair where the bow will naturally grip the string and start notes without any slipping, using just the weight of the bow and no pressure from the hand.

By finding that position and comparing with a bow you know, it gives a good indication of how to adapt to a new bow, for instance if you're trying & buying one. So you shift your bow positioning up or down a little from your  from "normal" position when playing on the new one, depending on the shift in the balance point.

That point might even shift a little when changing strings or rosin or as strings or hair get older , or adjustments are made to the fiddle.

But checking the position of that balance point and adjusting stick position accordingly , I've found, seems to help keep broadly the same "feel" to the bow when playing, after a change to the bow or setup.    It doesn't compensate for differing amounts of bounciness or inertia between different bows, but it seems to alleviate one variable.

I have a feeling peope are gonna ask me why I never noticed before.  I've been playing, on and off, for about 50 years now!
Now ear this!

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Badges: (View All)
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Bow differences
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:36:47 PM »
Why didn't you  ever notice this before?

;D

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal