Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Mandolin tuning head malfunction  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Gallopede

• Total Badges: 13
    Badges: (View All)
    Second year Anniversary Mobile User Level 3
Mandolin tuning head malfunction
« on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:38:38 PM »
I have a 30 year old Antoria mandolin which has always sounded pretty good - and, yes, I know it was made in some random factory and is worth next to nothing but, as I say, it has always sounded good. The last time I put strings on it I had trouble with the top string. It seemed to slip as it got up towards tension, but I managed to get it on and tuned. Two years later I have just put a nice new set of strings on and that blessed E, the last string I changed, won't come up to tension. (I'd forgotten the problem last time or I'd have done it first). It gets to about B and then the peg still turns but the little hole does not go round. The screws seem tight. Is this what you expect in a worn tuning head and does it mean the whole lot need replacement or can I fudge it somehow? 

Offline Beanzy

• Total Badges: 4
    Level 1 First Post Search
Re: Mandolin tuning head malfunction
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »
It could just be the tuning head hole has become rounded so it turns on the spigot when it gets up near tension. You could try taking it off, cleaning the gear wheel and worm screw then oiling it so it meets as little resistance as possible. If itís possible to get some glue in between the button and the shaft that may give it a bit more purchase. However cheap tuning machine heads tend to deteriorate pretty quickly once they begin to hit issues. Luckily replacements can be had pretty cheaply on the internet.

Offline Bryanmac

• Total Badges: 14
    Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 3
Re: Mandolin tuning head malfunction
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
Just came across this thread, I have one too, nice and loud, I've been told on Mandolin forum  it's mid 70's and it has solid metal pegheads which work well. Olnly difficulty as that as fiddle is my main instrument I find the fingerng heavy.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal