Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Bow Hunt  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Lucas

• Total Badges: 6
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Topic Starter
Bow Hunt
« on: Apr 19, 2017, 05:51:04 AM »

Hi

I've been looking for a new bow, for a month now, because I want to improve my skills and I feel my bow is holding me back, so I started looking for a new bow, and I've been reading reviews about the CF bows, so I would appreciate your thoughts on these bows.

Codabow NX, Codabow SX, JonPaul Bravo, JonPaul Arpege.

I'm from Colombia, and we don't have the opportunity to test it before buying and the bows that are on sale are very low end bow, so I'm thinking on buying online and I've been playing for a year now.

Thanks

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Bow Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
I've read nothing but good things about Codabows,  though I've never played one myself. You could try e-mailing Steve at Gianna Violins: http://www.giannaviolins.com/Information/contactus.html and ask him- he sells them.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Illinoisfiddler

• Total Badges: 28
    500 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2017, 05:45:33 AM »
I have two Codabows, the entry-level Codabow Aspire and the higher-end Diamond GX. Both are decent bows, and are great for outdoor playing as they are somewhat immune to temperature and humidity changes. The GX has the better playability and sound by far. However, I have found that both have, to my ears, a rather "cold" sound when compared to pernambuco. They play somewhat better than most inexpensive pernambuco bows, but when compared with better wood bows, they start to pale in comparison. I have a 1920 Ernst Heinrich Roth pernambuco bow that just blows them away, but of course, that is a much more expensive bow even used.

Offline graeme

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
What makes you think that your bow is holding you back?

You might spend quite a bit of money and find the new bow makes absolutely no difference.

Try to borrow a good bow, even for a few minutes, from a teacher, or anyone, really, who will accommodate you: ten minutes will let you know if changing bows will give you the benefits you are hoping for.  Or, have a good player demonstrate your violin and bow to you.  Too often the teacher can make a student's instrument sound fantastic ... and the problem is not in the instrument or bow.

And, if you really do need a good bow, they must be selected in exactly the same way you purchase an instrument: try out a dozen, take your time, narrow the choices, etc, etc.

(I have a carbon fibre bow, and I wouldn't recommend them, based on my experience.)

Offline Gallopede

• Total Badges: 13
    Second year Anniversary Mobile User Level 3
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2017, 02:39:28 PM »
I got a Coda Silver bow and then I needed another bow and found I could get a gold for the price of a silver,because of a sale and points I had so I got a gold, even though people say the difference is just that the gold looks nicer than the silver. To me the Coda Gold is a very nice bow and just stiff enough and it feels nicer than the silver - but this could be an illusion. If it's an illusion then it's an illusion I enjoy. People who use pernambuco bows and are prejudiced against carbon fibre have tried my Coda Gold and been surprised by how good it is.

My playing doesn't sound a lot better with the good bow. It is what it is, which is not very good - but I enjoy myself more when I play with a better bow. I have a cheap. wooden bow with my backup fiddle and it is thick and stiff and strangely wobbly and no fun to use at all. I just watch it wobbling about and it puts me off. I also have an incredibow, which is the best thing for playing out of doors. Someone I know left his incredibow in a wet hedge for hours and it was fine.

Offline Illinoisfiddler

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »
Most teachers will tell you that a good bow makes a world of difference, even more so at times than the actual fiddle. After acquiring the Roth bow, I am beginning to believe it. I still play with lesser bows, of course, in bars and clubs, and they do fine. I still prefer pernambuco. However, the Codabow did come to my rescue a couple of times this summer due to very high humidity where I could not tighten my wood bow anymore. The Codabow could be tightened and allowed me to play on. Regardless of material, a good bow is like an upgrade to your car's engine. Worth every penny.

Offline farmerjones

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
The weird thing I found is, as far as stiffness goes a typical CF is stiffer than a typical wood. (using "wood" as an assumption the bow is made from Brassilwood or Pernambuco [same tree]) But if you want stiffer than CF you have to start searching for atypical wooden bows. CF is, if not anything else, repeatable. Wood is natural, and of course less predictable. So two wooden bows stamped the same, may play quite differently. One should judge them as individuals. My bow has a lesser label, yet is an anomaly.

Most other's do not like my bow. It's way stiffer than anything I've found. While it's terribly unforgiving, it's also extremely responsive. Often compared to the suspension on a Ferrari.  What this affords me is maximum performance with minimum effort. Once you find "your bow" you'll know. Lastly: Always bring your old bow to compare.

Offline Illinoisfiddler

« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
My Roth bow is stiffer than any other bow I have, and I can do bow strokes on that that are almost impossible on the other bows.

Offline matt7738

• Total Badges: 17
    Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »
I have a Jon Paul Bravo and I like it.  It's pretty comparable to the NX.  They're both a world better than the cheap fiberglass crappers I used to carry.

I'll say the the CodaBow Joule and the CodaBow GX are that much better than the Bravo and the NX or the SX. 

I'm continuously blown away by how big a difference a bow makes.  My advice is to get the best bow you can reasonably afford.  Just for grins, try one that's way outside your price range and you'll see how big a difference they make.

I took a new CodaBow Marquise out and within about 15 seconds, I could feel a night and day difference in my playing.  I turned to my bass player and said, "Dude!  I'm a REALLY good violinist!  lol!"  There were things that I thought were left hand issues that turned out to be bow issues.  It's crazy how much a good bow changes.

Offline Illinoisfiddler

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2017, 02:36:05 AM »
Absolutely agree, Matt!

Offline farmerjones

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »
I'm essentially a lefty playing righty. I think this accentuates the advantages or disadvantages of a bow.  I know a mushy bow can make playing drudgery. The difference may not show in one or two tunes, but being able to play all night, or not.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal