Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Centred Chinrest  (Read 1164 times)

marton

Centred Chinrest
« on: Sep 07, 2016, 04:09:26 AM »
I've noticed how unnatural - for me anyway - a chin rest on the left side, is. I've been playing a lot more than usual of late, and because of this it's become very obvious. I knew I couldn't keep going in this fashion otherwise I'd probably end up with neck strain or something, so I bought a centred chin rest. The difference is huge. Much more natural in terms of head position, no clamping my chin down to hold my instrument horizontal to the ground at all. If any of you have issues that sound familiar to these, perhaps think about getting one of these. Works for me. 

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
Re: Centred Chinrest
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2016, 04:55:32 AM »
By a centered chin rest, do you mean one that the brackets go on each side of the end button and the  chinrest wood is on the bass side. or brackets each side end button with the wood also centered. or when you say the chin rest is on the left, do you mean the brackets are to the left of the end button?

Quite an important issue for me, as I prefer brackets each side of button w/chin rest wood to the left.

BUT my old German has brackets to the left of end button. I tried several of the ones I preferred, but the fiddle would turn harsher and thinner on the treble side. My Luthier even went to the extent of carving some wood off. It did open the treble side up, but that made it uneven. So I stuck with the side mount that was on it. I did all this cuz the side mount was to uncomfortable for 3 to 4 hours of busking.

but then I got a China with the chin rest I prefer, most comfortable and easiest playing fiddle I've ever had. no problem for 3 hrs.... and I use the quieter German for jamming and I play it mostly sitting down, so the side mount doesn't bother me as it did for busking.

IMHO, the right chin rest is very important for both playability and sound.   

"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

marton

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2016, 05:57:32 AM »

Similar to this one. Also, it's probably my imagination, but the quality of sound has improved as well. Agreed that chin rest and placement is very important. More so than I had thought.

Offline GovernorSilver

• Total Badges: 18
    Quick Poster Fourth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
I got a chinrest that sits in line with the neck - instead of to the left - I think marton is talking about the same thing... back when I was starting out on the viola and trying to solve the problem of my left shoulder always getting sore.

I ultimately solved my problem by developing better posture, learning how to relax more, etc. but that chinrest helped tremendously.  It's still there on my first viola.

marton

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2016, 01:54:42 AM »
Correct GS. I should have got one years ago.

Offline andyreiner

• Total Badges: 3
    Level 1 First Post Apple User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2016, 02:06:03 AM »
The right chinrest is life-changing!  I found my favorites by trying on every kind I could find at a violin shop.  Hard to tell what will feel natural just looking at pictures on the internet.  Centered rests are great!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal