Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Arcus M4  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Titch

• Sonic Electro-Acoustic Violins
    • Sonic Violins

• Total Badges: 35
    Badges: (View All)
    Apple User Quick Poster Mobile User
Arcus M4
« on: Aug 21, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
Just picked up a pre owned Arcus M4 (53g), I played a customer's a few years back and remember being impressed but could not justify spending 875. I have not been an advocate of "lightweight" bows, certainly not Incredibows, however they are not in this price range.

So ... It is fantastic, I'm probably and "average player" here on the forum, mostly a "Celtic Rock" player  and to be honest think that there is a lot of **** talked about the "sound" of bows. This bow just makes me feel "safer" than any others, notes play cleaner.

I have compared it directly with a Coda NX (320) - no contest, I have recently had a Coda Joule (550) in my hands and that did not impress me like the M4 either. My now retired bow is  a CF/Pernambuco Veneer Chinese bow (300) which compared very well with my French Pernambuco Vuillaume Copy (800???) neither of which give me this secure feeling and more space to experiment and push "stuff".

So if you are looking in the 500 - 1000 range I would not buy anything before auditioning an M4.

I'd be very interested to know what the higher priced Arcus Bows offer

... and my sympathy if you were the person that I outbid by 50p
{=/=}===++

www.sonicviolins.co.uk
Electro-Acoustic Violin Systems

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Arcus M4
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
I have been intrigued by the Arcus bows ever since i tried one of my friends'..
Titch, do you have any reference as to what is to gain from going higher up the "M" scale? (M3, M4, M5 etc)
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline Titch

• Sonic Electro-Acoustic Violins
    • Sonic Violins

• Total Badges: 35
    Apple User Quick Poster Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
Sorry Henrik, I have not played any of the other M series, I find it difficult to understand what extra features could justify the serious price increases. My feeling is that it would a case of rapidly diminishing returns - the M7 is 3x the cost of the M4. Bernd Musing is a member here, he would be able to answer the question, there is nothing conclusive within the website descriptions.

As an aside I have to say that I registered my pre owned bow with Arcus and Bernd contacted me straight away and has answered some questions that I had. The bows carry a 30 year warranty on the sticks which transfers with the bow if sold...great customer service.
{=/=}===++

www.sonicviolins.co.uk
Electro-Acoustic Violin Systems

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2015, 06:17:56 PM »
I had the same feeling from reading their website..
I guess i will have to contact Bernd and find a place in Denmark where I can tryout a couple of M bows..
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal