Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Planetary Pegs versus Fine Tuners: They mix well, or are they feuding cousins?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline dino

• Total Badges: 7
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 2 Search Apple User
Recently got a new violin. Just love love love it.  :)

Came with planetary pegs, those fine-tuners that replace old-fashioned pegs, up on the pegbox.

But, planetary pegs are not perfect. To get that perfect A 440 can be challenging. Have one on the E string, and have debated getting three more fine tuners, for G, D and A.

But, am unsure of the wisdom of such a decision. A few concerns:

• Fine tuners can affect sound, and
  • Have googled and searched this forum, but am unsure of they "mix well," or are feuding cousins. Before jumping in a well, want to be sure a rope is dangling down.

Thanks to all for input.
- Dean

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
I disagree. I can get a dead-nuts in tune no problem with them every time, and usually in under 30 seconds.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
A fine tuner makes the E string easier to tune, but is completely unnecessary, as are the others.  I have never had a problem tuning with my Perfection Pegs, and like Joe, can hit tuning on all 4 strings in 30 seconds or less.

Are you pushing in too hard?  Not hard enough?  Planetary pegs require a little inward pressure to hold.  Not nearly as much as wooden pegs, in my experience, but a little bit. 

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
I agree with Joe and awildman. Properly fitted Knilling Perfection pegs should be really easy to tune.
I have five of them, and no fine tuners.
Dean - what kind of planetary pegs are they? Some of the earlier Wittner ones actually had a crank mechanism which could get just below desired pitch, and just above desired pitch, but couldn't actually hit the desired pitch.
Mr Jim

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
I'm reading his with interest as my fiddle will need some peg holes re-bushed soon, and thinking about whether to fit Perfection pegs and get rid of all tail tuners
Now ear this!

Offline matt7738

• Total Badges: 17
    Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary
I have no idea why anyone would keep their old pegs on any instrument.  If Stradivari had had access to planetary tuners, he would have used them.  Guaranteed.

I've retrofitted every instrument I play with them and I'm never going back.

Offline awildman2384

I have no idea why anyone would keep their old pegs on any instrument. If Stradivari had had access to planetary tuners, he would have used them. Guaranteed. I've retrofitted every instrument I play with them and I'm never going back.

Well I can't speak for old Tony but I tend to agree.  Classical players tend to have romantic ideas about what makes a proper instrument.  The reality is that people worked with what was available.  Perfection pegs are available.  To me, it's that simple.

Offline mpduffy

Nineth year Anniversary 100 Posts Eighth year Anniversary
I have planetary legs on my Elixir carbon fibre but wooden pegs and fine tuners on my wooden fiddles - personally I find it easier to tune the planetary pegs, and can't imagine needing fine tuners with them.  I'm planning on getting them fitted in my wooden fiddle eventually!

Offline farmerjones

Search Linux User Mobile User
I'm surprised on the support so far for planetary pegs.  I would not have both fine tuners & planetary pegs. I also understand how finer tuners take away from the strings prescribed afterlength. I am a steel string heathen so I do use finer tuners, but otherwise four hundred years of a simple tapered fit peg has worked thus far. It's when this tapered engagement is diminished that folks have trouble. I respect others that decide on planetary pegs, I do not.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

The abacus was pretty good until other adding machines came along. Cash registers made it even easier. Now we have computers...

Why not advocate for the abacus in all financial transactions?

With the Perfection Pegs I've never had a peg slip, I've never had to dope the peg holes, I can tune in 30 seconds, I never have to reset the tuners for length, (causing ANOTHER tuning...) and mostly, I just forget about 'em.

My only complaint is that they come only in black. Stops me from putting the really nice Pearwood furniture I have on me good fiddle, so it looks like the cheaper one is gonna get it.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

I think planetary pegs are a good thing - I can't see a problem with them. They make tuning physically easier than the best fitting of standard pegs, and I've yet to hear of anyone complain that the Perfections ever wore out or became faulty.

I can understand people not wanting to use them for traditional / aesthetic reasons, but I can't see any practical reason for not using them.

Joe, I just contacted Knilling to see if they can do you a set in shocking pink, just for you.

Mr Jim :)

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

Mr. Jim:
You're always looking out for the other guy.

..Joe

Offline awildman2384

The Pegheads version at least has wooden heads but I believe the shafts is still black.  Worth looking into.
In my case I like ebony fittings.  Thank goodness I'm not one of those picky rosewood people.

Offline farmerjones

Search Linux User Mobile User
So no respect (back) for the guy who can't afford planetary pegs?

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

[justify]The whole point of planetary pegs is to make tuning easier than with standard pegs (which, together with the pegbox) usually are in less than perfect nick.[/justify]

[justify]There is no need to have tailpiece tuners as well, although I know there are many who simply do not like/cannot/will not do the tuning from the pegs (so the tailpiece tuners remain).[/justify]

[justify]
So no respect (back) for the guy who can't afford planetary pegs?
[/justify]

[justify]Surely fine tuners (or an integrated tailpiece) would be the answer to those on a budget?
[/justify]
[justify]In any case, the cost of planetary pegs is less than the cost of having a luthier fit new friction pegs and re-bush the peg box (however many times).[/justify]

[justify]Mr Jim
[/justify]

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal