Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Case advice needed please!  (Read 1551 times)

Offline aughrafilly

• Total Badges: 7
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 2 Combination Topic Starter
Case advice needed please!
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »
 Hi, I am looking for a case that will accommodate both a fiddle and a small laptop to fly with. It's not for my good fiddle, but just so I have one to practice on when I am away working.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lara

Offline JSFisher

• Total Badges: 6
    Level 2 10 Posts Mobile User
Re: Case advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »
Hi Lara,
Personally, I'd get a separate bag.  They sell nice leather laptop bags at office supply stores.  Most oblong violin cases are approx. 10" from handle to hinges.  And, even with a full exterior music pocket, you're not going to get quite that much space, once the depth of the laptop is accounted for.  And, even if your laptop is small enough to fit, there will be no exterior padding to protect it.
If you really need to put it in your violin case, you could consider an oblong Mooradian violin case cover.  They have large exterior pockets.  But, again, the padding is all on the inside, so it won't protect the laptop from the outside of the case.  Or, you could try putting the laptop on the inside of the cover (between the cover and the case.  There is an inside sleeve on the Mooradian.  But, the laptop would need to be pretty small, and it could still slide around.  I think your best bet is a separate bag.
Cheers!

Offline Andelian

• Total Badges: 14
    Linux User Search Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:02:43 PM »
Your best solution will rest on whether you're willing to check the bag, or if you want a carry on. Most full violin cases (one potentially big enough to fit a laptop) are too big for most airline standards for carry-on bags. There is a violin case made to fit generic carry-on standards (the BAM Hightech Overhead model), but it is for a violin only (no bow) and is very compact. I personally would never trust a violin in checked baggage, as most handlers are rushed and never very gentle with the bags. The temperature fluctuations are also very rough on a violin.

I would go with JSFisher's advice and go with a separate bag. If you have a full size case that you can get onto a plane by hand, you could consider something like the Joey (At Shar Music here), but as Fisher pointed out, most of those add-on pockets aren't for travel protection. I also don't know what dimensions your laptop is, and therefore the pocket size required.

If I were you and had to bring my own instrument, I would buy a carry-on case so the airline and TSA would give me as little grief as possible, and have your laptop in a separate bag. There are technically regulations that say airlines will permit musicians to bring an instrument on board as long as the case fits in the overhead compartments, but I don't know how well any airline follows that mandate, given the horror stories I've heard from violinist friends. The all-in-one bag is a convenient idea, but I think fairly impractical between carry-on measurements, and the protection required for both an instrument and a laptop.

Safe travels to you and your instrument...

~ JH in NJ

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
I have traveled a lot with my fiddle.. I have always been able to take my case with me on board planes.

I use a Winther case with room for an Ipad or very small laptop in the zipped compartment. I have also been able to get my camera and toothbrush to fit in there :)

this is the one: http://www.jakobwinter.de/en/string-instrument-case/violin-case/violin-case-Greenline/JW_53023.php
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline aughrafilly

• Total Badges: 7
    Level 2 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have never had a problem taking my fiddle on the plane in a standard oblong case, but the airline I travel with have a strict one bag only rule, so then I need to check my laptop in which makes me nervous. It's only a 13" laptop. Actually ,as I was writing this I realised that they also allow one airport shopping bag, so I could slip my laptop case into one of those in the meantime , and have a look for the case you recommend Jansberg, or the Joey, Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal