Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Restoring Maidstone  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Stratovarious

• Total Badges: 13
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary Level 3 10 Posts
Restoring Maidstone
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »
A friend recently gave me an old violin he had lying around. It was just a hulk - no strings, pegs, tailpiece etc, although the soundpost is in place.
He'd started to rub it down with a view to refinishing but had never got round to it. When I got it home I discovered the words "The Maidstone" on the label. Now I know Maidstones are quite reasonable quality instruments, so am keen to restore it.
Finishing the rubbing down and revarnishing I think I'd have no problem with, but does anyone know how to get the colour back into the fingerboard?

Offline FiddleDoug

• Total Badges: 28
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Restoring Maidstone
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
If you sand it down and re-varnish it, you will destroy the value as a vintage instrument. A quick search showed one for sale at 489 pounds. That's with the original finish. Leave restoration work to the the professionals. A lot of very nice instruments have been ruined by untrained garage luthiers!

Offline Stratovarious

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »
Good advice Doug, thanks. So far all I've done is sort out a bridge, tailpiece, pegs etc, for it - I've not done any further rubbing down. So I'll leave it exactly as it is now, and sell it as a kit of parts!

Offline Stratovarious

« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but I thought I'd just mention that I put it on eBay, and it sold for 34.

Hopefully by now it's back to its old self, and someone is getting enjoyment out of playing it!

Offline Stratovarious

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »
Apologies for another thread resurrection, but I recently managed to find another Maidstone at a very good price. This also is just a hulk, but has all its finish on, and looks fantastic. No cracks! It even comes with a case, which needs a little restoration; just cleaning, re-attaching loose parts and replacing a broken hinge.

I shall enjoy rebuilding this one; I'd be tempted to keep it, but it's only 3/4 size!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal