Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Band in a Box  (Read 3308 times)

Offline harryt8

• Total Badges: 13
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary Level 3 Fourth year Anniversary
Band in a Box
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
Anyone on the Forum use Band in a Box/Real Tracks for their home practice?
I'm trying to create a list of commonly used Styles for such things as Rags and Polkas.
Band in a Box software seems to be a little light on Irish/Scottish back up (ie guitar/accordian/flute etc).
Any users with any experience to pass on?
Thanks.

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
Re: Band in a Box
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
I've used Band in a Box for trying to work out a solo lick.  Since most of my practice for fiddle breaks is done without the band, I was able to set up the key / chord pattern, then run through a bunch of ideas until something 'stuck'. 
sheryl

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2015, 04:24:29 AM »
I had band-in-a box on my old computer which no longer works. I think I've still got the discs around somewhere, but I wouldn't know how to load/program them. When I bought them I paid the sales guy extra to put 'em in my computer.

I went thru most of the tracks and wrote down the ones I liked. But as memory serves there wasn't much for Scottish/Irish back up. In fact nothing that I can remember off hand. I thought it was an excellent program though. The better one is with computers, the better use for it, but I'm not too good at it.

I found this track called Sinatra style Swing (32 measures) the pre-set solo was with Vibes. I thought it sounded tres cool, so I learned it. The Vibe solo transitioned to violin very nicely. Lots of nice jazz licks throughout.
I realize this doesn't help you for what you're looking for. Maybe there is another route you could go for the back up you want. More suggestions may follow.

PS @ fiddledeedee: Hi !  long time...... sounds like you're still gigging regularly. I listened to a couple of your posts with the band you were in a few years ago, sounded pretty durn good. You must be burning up the fingerboard by now, eh?
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2015, 04:47:12 AM by bluesviolin »
"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
Lol! Thanks. I am still ripping up the strings! Most of my fun gigging is with a country band in the Chattanooga TN area.  I got invited to join them 2 years ago and realize how lucky I am to get the invitation.  They are a terrific group of musicians who make every effort to have a quality show.  I can't say every group I've played with has had the same mind set (it seems like one or two of the members were in a past band cuz they liked music, or were friends of someone else).
sheryl

LeonGruber

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2015, 03:19:25 AM »
 :o :o

Offline bluesviolin

• bluesviolin

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2015, 04:02:55 AM »
well this is a first. I've never seen 2 smileys as a first first post.
Welcome to the forum from Calgary Alberta.
What are you doubly shocked about?
I'll see your 2  :o :o and raise you one  ???

Offline vstante

10 Posts Second year Anniversary Level 3
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:46:58 PM »
Hi there!

Just a short answer. Some time ago I used also the Band In A Box, its a nice software, but the way it sounds is horrible. It is just a midi machine! It has nothing to do with a music. Now I am using a loop pedal with the octave pedal and create my own backing tracks. It is similar to what Christian Howes does. So u  basically practice on your groove-timing, comping, chord tones practicing, creating your own bass lines and you can also improve your intonation, Just when setting a short loop. How more perfect can it get?

Think about it!

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:17:06 PM »
It is just a midi machine! It has nothing to do with a music.

I think this is comment is way out in left field. What do you mean "It has nothing to do with a music?" MIDI (which is capitalized, BTW) has everything to do with music: it permits recording, control changes, program changes, layering, splitting, syncing, and hundreds of other items.

I would really like you to explain how MIDI "has nothing to do with a music."

..Joe

"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline bluesviolin

• bluesviolin

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:20:48 AM »
I hafta chirp in with Joe on this. I used to have Band-in-a- box, wish I still did. It could do some incredible stuff. I liked how it would give you example solos with the notes appearing as it played thru. and you could ask it for different solos for how many measures you wanted. I thought it sounded great thru decent speakers.

Admittedly, Looping works for a 'one groove' performance, but it's still only one groove, no matter how many layers you put on it. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I like to groove along with modes with relatively simple chord changes. but I don't see how you could Loop the jazz chord changes thru a 32 measure piece.... and with a full band behind you?

Offline vstante

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
Hi Guys, of course, You are right. All this is also a part of a music. My Idea is, that making a music is like telling a story with all the feelings and good and bad things you can incorporate in a solo or a tune. Its more the feeling thing, not only the scales and chord tones and...You know, to make a good speech in a public, it is not enough to pick up the right words. You have also create the right feeling, tension. And  band in a box cant create all this things.

Why not create a full play along with a loop pedal. Grab a lead sheet, metronome and thenwalk all over it and record it. Add some 3rds and 7ths and there You have a backing track:)

Have fun, bye!

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:16:41 PM »
No, it's still a loop. That's all.

Suppose I tell you to play the Bach Suite No.2 in Bm (Banderie). How you going to do that with a looper? How does a looper add dynamics? Rubato? Diminuendo?

If you go to the recordings section of this forum, you will see a bunch of recordings by me. I record everything to a MIDI file, then I apply instruments to it during mixdown. Listen to Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata- tell me if you hear any feeling in it...

That's a MIDI file.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline vstante

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:33:48 PM »
Hi, yes, u are right, I made a mistake when writting MIDI.

And You are right, if You want to play pieces like Badinerie, its more suitable to use a software. Well the best is to find a piano player...
But still, I find practising with loop station  very practical, challenging yourself at multiple things at the same time.

Have fun!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal