Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Is it Eb or E?  (Read 1729 times)

Offline diepacheco

• Total Badges: 13
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Super Combination Level 3
Is it Eb or E?
« on: Sep 21, 2014, 06:32:39 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place to create thread but I have a question regarding a music piece. 

In the orchestra we're playing the Oboe Concerto in D Minor by Alessandro Marcello, so in the second part of the third movement, on bar 84 there's an Eb and then on bar 85 there's an E in between parenthesis... my question is... is the E on bar 85 flat or natural? 

And to add to my confusion, the phrase starts on bar 83 and ends in bar 86 and is exactly the same as the phrase on the first part on bars 29 to 32, but in a different tonality I believe. And because of this is that I believe the E on bar 85 should be natural.

And some might say play what sounds good, but the thing is both sound good, different feelings but both sound alright... so what's your opinion?

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Is it Eb or E?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »
In Classical music, an accidental lasts only the length of the measure. Even though all the other E's around it are flatted, that one (unless there's a misprint) should be an E Natural, just like in meas. 76.
..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline diepacheco

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »
In Classical music, an accidental lasts only the length of the measure. Even though all the other E's around it are flatted, that one (unless there's a misprint) should be an E Natural, just like in meas. 76.
..Joe
That's what I think as well, but why the parenthesis? Is it to remind the player that the E must be played natural?

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2014, 12:27:01 AM »
Joe's correct.  I'm not sure about the parentheses.....maybe something specific to oboe technique?  Have you tried comparing your version to other versions?  Maybe start here:  IMSLP

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths
    • madfiddler - Electric Violinist

• Total Badges: 44
    Mobile User Level 7 5000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »
I've never seen that either.
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra membership privileges.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »
It  took a long time for my brain to remember that indication- one of the problems of growing old. It's called a "ghost note." It's played completely de-emphasized. On string instruments, that can be done by muting the string.
Think of it as more rhythmic than melodic, but you do indeed make a note. Just make sure it's almost not heard.
..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline diepacheco

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2014, 05:40:10 AM »
Joe's correct.  I'm not sure about the parentheses.....maybe something specific to oboe technique?  Have you tried comparing your version to other versions?  Maybe start here:  IMSLP
Actually I took that sheet from that website, and it's not really related to oboe technique 'cuz that's the violin I part

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal