Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Could be sayting goodbye to my good bow...  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Badges: (View All)
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Could be sayting goodbye to my good bow...
« on: Apr 28, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »
Most here know I bought a Caressa and Franšais bow from Steve about 7 years ago. Well, this past February, it was becoming unplayable: the crack in the top near the nut was getting worse, the nut end was chewed up and repaired with a metal cap, and it had developed this spectacular S-warp to it. I decided it needed to be refurbished.

I found a superb restorer of bows. His name is Joshua Henry, located in Purcellville, VA. He had quite a good reputation, so off it went. (Steve: if you read this, he knows and visits Kelvin quite often- he'll introduce himself to you next time he's down there.)

He looked it over, and was impressed with the original workmanship. Although he doesn't certify bows, to him it had the marks of a Claude Thomassin bow, who - after he opened his own shop - still made bows stamped Caressa and Franšais to make ends meet. He worked on it until this month (April) and I received it back. It was unbelievably better. Lizhou was never very happy with it before, but had nothing but accolades for it after it came back. In fact, that leads to the reason for this post...

He has players constantly asking him for better bows. In fact, one player in the Pittsburgh Symphony is always bothering him for a good bow, but he seldom has them. Were I able to get this bow certified as a Thomassin-made Caressa and Franšais, it would be worth around $12,000.00. But, I would have to get it certified and then find someone willing to pay that amount...

LZ thinks that as it sits, he can get half that without any problem. Now, really: what use have I for a $6,000.00 bow? I'm an average player who started far too late to ever get really good, and that bow is wasted on me. I can easily get another $1,500.00 bow from Steve that will give me everything I ever need.

It's nice to have valuable stuff, but it's even nicer to have the money they can bring you... :-)

So, it's out of my hands now. It's gone off to LZ to see what he can get for it, and if it brings a small windfall, well, there a pistol, and some repairs to the airplane that just became free to me.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
Re: Could be sayting goodbye to my good bow...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2014, 12:50:33 AM »
Sounds like a smart move.  As an adult beginner myself, I'd do the same.  Enjoy your new pistol.

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »
I do have a nice special silver Arcos . . . .

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
Nah. I want another old beater bow like this one: a diamond in the rough. I don't believe that I'll ever fall into another one of these, but there's something about a hundred year old bow that just speaks to me.

I can wait...

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
I may well this summer - planning on it, more or less - visit a fellow who tends to have a collection of odd or damaged bows.  I will look for something interesting.  

It was a fun journey with that bow!

Offline Musikron

• Total Badges: 13
    Second year Anniversary Search Level 3
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
What pistol you eyeballing?

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »
The Canik TP-9 in FDE. Really, just a range plinker for me. They're just plain fun.

..Joe

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal