Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Bonmusica vs Wolf Secondo?  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Crzy_Aus

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Poll Voter
Bonmusica vs Wolf Secondo?
« on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
Hello Fiddle Forumites! :)

As I'm picking out accessories for my brand-new Reiter beauty, I've wondered what yall's experiences were in terms of shoulder rests. From trying to use my standard KUN-like rest, I've found 2 things: 1) the new rest will need to be low on left side (standard minimal height of a KUN rest) and quite high on the right side (about an inch higher than standard rests are capable of); and 2) be flat/have good support on the right side.

Which brought me to the choice of Bonmusica vs Wolf Forte Secondo for maximum customization and support. I'd love to hear what yall's experiences were like with both, and am also open to other recommendations. I'm currently leaning toward the Bonmusica, but am a bit wary since I've heard it may be too tall at minimum setting. I have an average-length neck.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2013, 12:25:33 PM by Crzy_Aus »

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Bonmusica vs Wolf Secondo?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
maybe my advice is no good here as I do not like either :)

A rest that goes low on shoulder side and high on chest side - Everest with long feet and Mach one are two I like
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline Crzy_Aus

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »
Well, I've only ever played on standard shoulder rests like KUN or those modeled similarly, so this is new to me as well. For the two choices, I was primarily attracted by the versatility/adaptability. Don't really need a rest that high on the chest side for the traditional acoustic, but for a 7-string it will probably be more comfortable.

In any case, all opinions are welcome :)

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
I use the Forte Primo. The Forte Primo and Secondo both have a wide range of adjustment on either side. The Primo is more of a straight shape, whereas the Secondo is curved. Both are good. Haven't tried the Bon Musica one ...

Jim

Offline JSFisher

• Total Badges: 6
    Level 2 10 Posts Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
The Bonmusica works well for some people. But, I like the fact that you can bend the Forte Secondo to fit your shoulder. (The rest itself can be bent to the desired shape.) And, the forte rests have a nice thick pad, as well. The tall Comford rest also comes to mind, though it's not adjustable. I agree with the previous post as well, that the Everest rest is one to try for this situation. And, it's cheap, so if it doesn't work, you're not out much money.

Jim Fisher
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2014, 04:15:06 PM by Joe Gerardi »

Offline TexasRed

• Total Badges: 6
    Level 2 Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
The Bonmusica works well for some people. But, I like the fact that you can bend the Forte Secondo to fit your shoulder. (The rest itself can be bent to the desired shape.) And, the forte rests have a nice thick pad, as well. The tall Comford rest also comes to mind, though it's not adjustable. I agree with the previous post as well, that the Everest rest is one to try for this situation. And, it's cheap, so if it doesn't work, you're not out much money.

Jim Fisher

i use the bonamusica and you can bend it to the shape of your shoulder as well. You have to be careful though because the foam pad can come off rather easily. 

I have to say i really like the bonamusica so far, i just got it last week. Its much more comfortable than the kun style i had before. My only complaint is that the design of the feet is terrible, they can come off the violin pretty easily when adjusting and i could see how one could damage their instrument if theyre not careful. But they've never given my any problems while actually playing. Overall i would recommend it, 

unless you have a very short neck. i have a short neck myself. i had to adjust the bonamusica all the way down, and at first it wasnt very comfortable still, it felt like the chin rest was being pushed into my chin. i was able to bend it around and make it work though and i like it now

Offline Sleeko

• Total Badges: 17
    One year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »
 8) I like my Wolf Secondo for the fact that you can go very tall with it on either side. Even comes with 2 different height extensions. Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal