Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Fiddle Fest FAQs  (Read 1120 times)

Offline sianfiddle

• Fiddle Festival of Britain

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Poll Starter Signature Gallery
Fiddle Fest FAQs
« on: Aug 07, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
[justify]So what's it all about?[/justify]
[justify]We have workshops for beginners, improvers, intermediates and advanced fiddlers, even an absolute beginners class - if you want to try to learn to play fiddle. There are three workshops in the morning and one or two in the afternoon on both Saturday and Sunday. There will be a master class on the Saturday morning and one on Sunday Afternoon. [/justify]
[justify] We have guest musicians on other instruments too –Flute and Guitar this last year and we hope to add a few more next year such as Melodeon and possibly another plucked string… [/justify]
[justify]We then have some afternoon recitals/concerts on Saturday and Sunday. Friday night has a concert followed by a Ceilidh (barndance) and Saturday night's concert is the BIG one, with some hugely respected fiddle players. Sunday also has afternoon performances. There will be sessions for musicians to join in with. Our campfire area in the woods was a big hit for late night music .[/justify]
[justify] All workshop spaces will be enclosed but if the weather is good, the tutor and organisers might decide that an outside venue may be suitable. We will have event seating.[/justify]
[justify] The festival wants to encourage fiddlers and their other musical friends to come and learn from some greatly respected professional musicians.[/justify]

[justify]Will I need to bring my own violin/instrument?[/justify]
[justify]Yes. Violins and instruments are chosen by their players and become essential to the happiness of that person. Using someone else's instrument is like driving someone else's car without insurance. Some instruments are priceless to their owners! [/justify]

[justify]How will I know what standard I am and which workshop to join?[/justify]
[justify]A regularly askedquestion. Head for a workshop you think you can cope with, then if you struggle or find the level too low in the first 15 mins or so, opt out and head to the level below or above, if there are spaces available. Alternatively, ask one of the tutors – they don’t bite and won’t be offended if you don’t turn up to their workshop! [/justify]
[justify] Due to popularity of some of our workshops this year, we will have to cap numbers due to space and demand. These workshops may be repeated on the following day.[/justify]

[justify]Can I camp with my family / partner /friends?[/justify]
[justify]Yes you can. Family members pay £7 per head for camping per night. This covers our costs for toilets etc and you also get free teas and coffees (we thought that this was a nice touch!)[/justify]

[justify]I have musicians who don't play fiddle in my group, are there workshops for them to participate?[/justify]
[justify]Other musicians attending can join in the sessions that happen. We can confirm that we will have flute workshops on the Saturday, with beginners improvers in the morning and intermediate advanced in the afternoon. We are hoping to hold guitar and melodeon workshops over the weekend too. Login to be kept in touch with us.[/justify]

[justify]What age groups do you cater for?[/justify]
[justify]We cater for most age groups and abilities - children must have a basic grasp of violin playing as they need more time to develop motor skills that adults have.[/justify]

[justify]I can only make one day - how do I do this?[/justify]
[justify]You will be able to buy a day ticket that will include all workshops, master classes and concerts on that day. You'll also be able to have free tea and coffee throughout the weekend.[/justify]

[justify]Is there a bar? Can I bring my own drinks?[/justify]
[justify]There is a fully licensed bar. You can bring your own drinks but we'd ask you to drink them in your own tent and not in any of the public venues within the grounds. The bar funds the upkeep of property and keeping it in order. All drinks are served in plastic glasses – no glasses on site. [/justify]

[justify]Are there smoking areas?[/justify]
[justify] Yes, outside! However, butts must be disposed of responsibly … and not on the lawns, and hard areas. (The landowners insist on this).[/justify]

[justify]I’m camping – what do I need to bring?[/justify]
[justify] A tent and the usual provisions for basic camping – something to lie on and something to lie in! Your own mug would be handy for hot drinks, and a bowl and spoon for soup etc. (saves us buying disposable cups and having to dispose of non-recyclable waste!)[/justify]
[justify] We advise that you do not use candles or naked flames when camping. We have a fire point on the camp site and hope that we never have to use it.[/justify]
[justify]Barbecues and burners must be raised off the ground so as not to damage the lawn.[/justify]

[justify]Can I park next to my tent?[/justify]
[justify] We have a car parking area in close proximity to the garden, where you pitch your tents. This means that the lawn doesn’t get chewed up in inclement conditions and one less bill and headache for us after the festival.[/justify]

[justify]Are there shops in Ardley? Where can I get food?[/justify]
[justify]Ardley has no shops.The Fox and Hounds do meals. However, there is an M&S at Cherwell Valley Services. [/justify]
[justify] We will provide soup and a roll on the Friday and Saturday nights and cereal breakfasts to those who have booked weekend tickets in advance. In 2013 we served food such as lasagne, soup and pizzas, with salad. We hope to clarify what else we will do next year. More information will be posted as soon as we have booking numbers.[/justify]

[justify]Do you have toilets and showers?[/justify]
[justify]We have portabletoilets on site. However the cost of installing a shower block is very expensive and we couldn’t justify passing those costs (over £1000!) on to you.[/justify]
[justify] There is an outside sink and water supply. Use of the private shower will be available for £2.00 to the landowners for water and heating. Towels can be hired for 50p each.[/justify]

[justify]Can I bring my pet dog?[/justify]
[justify]No. The Farm has 4 dogs already and we have to respect the wishes of the land owners. We will accept Dogs for the Disabled. Please let us know in advance.[/justify]

[justify]I don’t want to camp, are there B&Bs or hotels nearby?[/justify]
[justify]If you're lucky -this is the closest and most sought after B&B... The Old Post Office, Ardley. - 01869 345958[/justify]
[justify]The next B&B isin the Fox & Hounds, Ardley, - 01869 346883[/justify]
[justify]Slightly further outat M40 Junction 10 Cherwell Valley Services is the Travel Lodge. - 0871 984 6012[/justify]

[justify]I'm coming by train to Bicester North, how do I get to Ardley?[/justify]
[justify]Contact us nearer the date of the festival, via the website with the day and time of your train, how many people, and we'll come and pick you up from the station.[/justify]

[justify]I’m driving – how do I get there?[/justify]
[justify]If you’re coming from the south east or north – get on to the M40 and leave at junction 10 marked Middleton Stoney & Ardley. [/justify]

[justify]If you’re coming from the south west – aim for Oxford. Follow either the A34 and join the M40 at junction 9 Bicester - then leave at junction 10 marked Middleton Stoney & Ardley. [/justify]
[justify]OR leave the A34 for Kiddlington, change onto the A4260 and turn right on Hopcrofts Holt crossroads (traffic lights – 7.5 miles). Follow the B4030 to Middleton Stoney. Then the B430 to Ardley. Turn right at Church road (approx. 7.5 miles) [/justify]
[justify]Turn right at the Fox &Hounds and follow Church Road around until you see our signs and decorated gate (see yellow ribbon!) . Someone will open the gate and let you through.[/justify]
[justify]Sat Nav may bring you alternate ways – key in Postcode OX27 7NS for Somerton Road, Ardley.[/justify]

[justify]Do you need volunteers?[/justify]
[justify]We have our volunteers and staff already in place. It's a small event and the team ratio will be 1:20 - well above the HSG195 guidelines (The Purple Book) for steward to crowd ratio. Our people have various skills and certificates, including CRB, SIA, First Aid, NSPCC Safeguarding, IOSH, Food handling, and Outdoor Event Management - to name but a few. Because our site is enclosed, individual stewarding of workshops isn't necessary, as everyone who is there - is there for a reason![/justify]

[justify]I am a musician/tutor/band, how do I take part in the festival?[/justify]
Please contact Sian Phillips by email sian@fiddlefest.co.uk
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2013, 01:21:49 PM by sianfiddle »

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal