Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Names of a couple of Slow Airs, please...  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Badges: (View All)
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Names of a couple of Slow Airs, please...
« on: Aug 12, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
So, I got my Low D Irish Whistle. Pretty easy to play, but wow! so little air is required at the bottom end it's almost hard to get below F#. Finally started getting that down, and now I need the name of a few relatively easy Slow Airs to get me started. The Session doesn't seem to allow you to search by style, so I'm asking here: can anyone name some D, G, or A tunes please? D would be preferable because I'm still new at this, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks,

..Joe

PS: If you know of a site I can go to, that would be welcomed as well.
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
Re: Names of a couple of Slow Airs, please...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »
Chiff and fipple would seem to be a good start : http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewforum.php?f=1

Jim

Offline MM

• Total Badges: 25
    Sixth year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2013, 11:35:55 PM »
Hi Joe - if memory serves - The Session lumps together waltzes and airs so if you search for Key of D and Waltzes you should find some airs.  I also can recommend Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland by Tomas O'Canainn.  Roisin Dubh is one of my favorite slow airs and it is in the Key of D.  Si Beag Si Mor is also in D and isn't too difficult.  The book comes with a couple of good CD's as well as narrative discussing slow airs in addition to the notation.  I cost me $30 a few years ago.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2013, 12:26:20 AM »
Hi Joe - if memory serves - The Session lumps together waltzes and airs so if you search for Key of D and Waltzes you should find some airs. I also can recommend Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland by Tomas O'Canainn. Roisin Dubh is one of my favorite slow airs and it is in the Key of D. Si Beag Si Mor is also in D and isn't too difficult. The book comes with a couple of good CD's as well as narrative discussing slow airs in addition to the notation. I cost me $30 a few years ago.

Thanks. I already got both of those tunes, January Snows, May Morning Dew, (The John McSherry video I posted elsewhere) and Amhran Na Leabhar...

...and of course, "Concerning Hobbits." I think that one is required if you want to play the whistle. ;D

I found the site "Clips and Snips" site which has a bunch: http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/index.htm It also has a bunch of fiddle tunes as well, if anyone is interested.

I gotta be honest: It's really kind of refreshing to find an instrument that's so easy to play, but of course will require a lot to play well with all the ornaments. I've learned the trill, (which is NOT like a classical trill) the slide, and the really cool way to partially uncover the note to get the half-step.

I'll look up that book. I appreciate it!

..Joe

PS: Mr. Jim, if you look above, I specifically wrote "If you know of a site I can go to," because I knew that if I just wrote "Please tell me where to go," I knew that you would! :-*
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Hill Cat

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
Hi,

Glad you're enjoying the whistle.

I like Inisheer and Women of Ireland and lots more.

There is a book/CD called 110 Ireland's Best Slow Airs. Not sure how good it is but I have the 110 Best Tin Whistle tunes and found it really useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZKF4SK42v0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-Fe9LFFik

Ryan Dun's whistle course on YouTube is pretty good (that's him playing Inisheer) and most of the knowledge would transfer to low whistle.

Also second the Chiff and Fipple site, it's the main forum on t'internet for fipple flute folks.

Looking forward to hearing some recordings.

Cheers,
HC

p.s. Still think you should get a few standard whistles, I have them all over the house and one in the car, you never know when you might want to practice :-) Clark Sweet Tones are probably the best cheap ones and a Dixon Trad if you want to spend a bit more.

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »
[*PS: Mr. Jim, if you look above, I specifically wrote "If you know of a site I can go to," because I knew that if I just wrote "Please tell me where to go," I knew that you would!*]

On second thoughts, maybe that's not such a good site. A while back, I got abominably slagged off (just for exisiting). I wasn't even a board member!

Jim

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »
X: 1
T:Bwlch Llanberis
M:3/4
L:1/8
%%stretchlast
K:D
de|f2af ef|d2A2Bc|d2af df|e4de|
fg fe dc|B2A2de|f2gf ef|d4:||
fg|a2fa gf|f2e2dc|d2fd Bd|c4de|
fg fe dc|B2A2de|f2gf ef|d4:|

A simple little Welsh tune.

Offline Hill Cat

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »
[*PS: Mr. Jim, if you look above, I specifically wrote "If you know of a site I can go to," because I knew that if I just wrote "Please tell me where to go," I knew that you would!*]

On second thoughts, maybe that's not such a good site. A while back, I got abominably slagged off (just for exisiting). I wasn't even a board member!

Jim

Wow, that's pretty harsh!

Offline simon

• Total Badges: 28
    Apple User Search Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
I also can recommend Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland by Tomas O'Canainn.

Seconded. I've heard it criticised because the tunes as played on the CD don't really match the dots, which maybe makes it less helpful for a beginner. For a seasoned muso that's a good thing. I think you'd find some really good stuff in this one Joe.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
Thanks folks.

Seems hard to find the CD edition in the US, but there's a "pro" edition that's spiral bound and lays flat. I like that!

..Joe

Offline MM

• Total Badges: 25
    Sixth year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »
I found O'Cainann's comments on the playing slow airs to be wonderfully useful and interesting.  It was well worth the cost of the book for those insights - at least - that was true for me.

Offline Hypertension Kid

Linux User Quick Poster Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »
Listen to this on youtube then try it.

Played by the composers band Silly Wizard  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZV4XGt1_dU#

X:53
T:When Summer Ends
C:Phil Cunningham
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:D
AG | F(AA4) | (A4A)G| F(DD4) | G4 AG|
F(AA4) | c3 d ef | (d6 |d4) cd | B4 A2 |
d4 F2 | A4 D2 | A4 D2 | D4 E2 |(F4F)G |
1F(EE4|E4) :|2 F(EE4| E4) g2||
|f(dd4) | g4 f2 | d4 c2 | A4 g2 |f(dd4) | e4 a2|
(a6 |a4) g2 | f(dd4) | g4 B2 | d4 c2 | A4 AG |
F(AA4) | A4 G2 | F(DD4) |1 G4 g2 :|2 G4 ||
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2013, 08:41:35 PM by Hypertension Kid »

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »
Sure that's right? It ends on a G, and that wouldn't make sense in the key of D.

..Joe

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
Sure that's right? It ends on a G, and that wouldn't make sense in the key of D.

It's a mistake. It should be a low D for the last note.

Jim

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2013, 01:37:56 AM »
Ah. Thanks, Mr. Jim.

..Joe

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2013, 03:02:05 AM »
Down by the Sally Gardens and She Beg She Mor (bad spelling) are very common beginner tunes.  Not a bad place to start, even if they are old hat.

Offline fiddleinparis

• Total Badges: 4
    Search Mobile User Level 1
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »
I have both the Tomas O'Canainn book and the Ireland's best slow airs book.  I prefer the latter for two reasons:  the notation is pretty accurate, you just have to listen to the CD to hear how it sounds and find out which notes are held out longer, and then you can play it.  I'm not a purist here and I'm just playing for fun so I prefer to have good notation.  The second reason is on the Tomas O'Canainn book I find the bag pipes with all the ornaments make it very difficult to learn a tune.  On the Ireland's Best CD there is more fiddle and less pipes.

Most of the tunes in the Ireland's Best don't really click with me but what's cool is finding one now and then that I really like and then focusing on that one.

Some whistles are designed to have the lower notes harder to hit in order to get easier high notes, and some whistles have easy low notes but hard high notes.  It's a limit of physics.  A good exercise to practice is going from 1st octave B to low D back and forth.  I used to have trouble doing it but after practicing I can do it fine.  What whistle do you have btw? 

Whistle is a lot of fun.  I felt a bit limited by a diatonic instrument and that's one reason I started learning fiddle so that I could play other genres which require a chromatic instrument.  but I can also see how someone who plays fiddle would like the simplicity of the whistle. :)

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »
I started with a Tony Dixon PVC, (the TB003D) but have since graduated to the grandaddy of them all- I have a Bernard Overton Low D. Everything I said about the air requirements is no longer valid: The Overton is an amazing whistle to play.

And it's not a diatonic instrument- you know about half-holing and cross-fingering, right? Here's a full-chromatic chart for a D whistle.

..Joe

Offline fiddleinparis

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »
I started with a Tony Dixon PVC, (the TB003D) but have since graduated to the grandaddy of them all- I have a Bernard Overton Low D. Everything I said about the air requirements is no longer valid: The Overton is an amazing whistle to play.

And it's not a diatonic instrument- you know about half-holing and cross-fingering, right? Here's a full-chromatic chart for a D whistle.

..Joe

Did you attach a chromatic chart?  I know about half-holing but some notes are nearly impossible to do like F natural.  I can do G# easily.  Bb is difficult.  C nat is easy.  And D# I don't remember.  It's the F natural that is the show-stopper.  See if you can do it quickly and reliably, I haven't been able to.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »
That was a brain fart, sorry. Here it is:
http://fullbodyburn.com/?page_id=108

I find notes like F Natural quite easy- just roll the finger a little up the whistle and off the E Hole. To me, the roll is necessary. Don't move the finger, just roll it a bit. I use my right hand on the bottom holes, left on the top. (Gawd, that sounds filthy!)

I don't use half-holing for C natural: I cross-finger the note using OXX OOO. I find that much faster and easier. But that's me: I only use OOO OOO for C# rarely- I use OOO XXX mostly, because it keeps a better grip on the whistle, and if going to the octave D, I'm halfway there for fingering already.

..Joe

Offline fiddleinparis

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2013, 09:30:59 AM »
What a coincidence but an email arrived in my inbox today with a tutorial on F natural.  It's done by Phil and his tutorials are very nice.  Highly recommended.

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movie.php?groupID=48#

scroll down it's the last tutorial in the list.

Next is figuring out how to get D#/Eb.  This one is nearly impossible because the last tone hole is so small.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
Is this on a high D? Because on all my low Ds, the hole is the same size as all the others save the E.

..Joe

Offline Ebor_fiddler

• Total Badges: 26
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »
Have you got Da Slockit Light (English - "The house lights that have been put out forever") on your list? You might also try Tom Tolley's Hornpipe, which is more an air than it is a hornpipe. ::)

Chris B.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
"Da Slockit Light"
No, because that one comes across on The Session a s a reel, not a slow air, but I will look at it. Thanks.

This Tom Tulley's Hornpipe?
http://thesession.org/tunes/8005
That really doesn't sound like an air at all. is the the correct piece?

..Joe

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
Joe, you should be aware that thesession.org does not cater for slow airs *as a category* in the tunes section.

It's a rule of the software that every tune needs a time signature, so the 'airs' category was excluded, on the grounds that a time sig would not have made any sense, given the 'rubato' etc of the airs.

However, it was still possible to submit airs under one of the existing categories, but the only way to tell they were airs was by looking at the comments section, which is unsearchable.

If you know the name of the air, in other words the 'tune' name, you can search on that. Just don't be surprised if you then see the notes preceded by a 'silly' time sig.

Mr Jim

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
But...

Mr. Jim, I thought airs were in 3/4 time. I understand that there isn't a "Air" category per se; but I would figure that at the very least they'd be listed as waltzes...

..Joe

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal