Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: So ... Probably a Hiscox but shaped or oblong?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Vindaloo

• Total Badges: 4
    Badges: (View All)
    One year Anniversary Topic Starter Level 1
So ... Probably a Hiscox but shaped or oblong?
« on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »
Only my second post, so sorry if I'm going over a well worn subject.

I recently bought an old German violin to learn with and need to replace the tatty case it came in.

There seems to be a fairly good vibe on this forum and others re Hiscox, certainly in terms of quality / strength for the price.

I've more or less decided to go with one but the only technical point putting me off is that they don't look like a suspension design. Having said that they do appear to be relatively bombproof but I can't help wondering how well they fare in simple knocks or drops compared to a cushy suspension case. It's fairly obvious from the Hiscox website that their real thing is guitars and is there a danger that what works well for guitars may not be the right answer for violins?

Aside from that technical point I'd appreciate your wisdom and guidance on the shaped versus rectangular Hiscox ...

Given the additional volume would it be fair to consider the oblong case to be a little safer? Then again the shaped case is 600g lighter and I don't want something overly bulky.  At the moment I'm stuck between these two so just wondered what the general consensus would be.

I've no plans to carry my lunch and a six pack of Guinness in my case ... Just the violin, one bow, rosin, small clip on tuner and my VLM Diamond shoulder rest.

Thanks!

Offline ChrisP

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Search
Re: So ... Probably a Hiscox but shaped or oblong?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »
Hiscox are a good choice.
You can generally fit more bits and bobs in an oblong case, spare strings, tuner, tunebook, clean socks :). And, crucially, pointy fiddle cases were invented before shoulder rests came along, and they are easier to accomodate in an oblong case, in my opinion, along with the odd A4 sheet of music.
I wouldn't worry too much about the suspension system until your fiddle is a) worth it and b) being thrown about in the band bus : we mortals just carry ours carefully.
Once upon a time itinerant fiddlers would just pop theirs into the inside poacher's pocket of their tailcoat and try to remember to sit down carefully...

Offline philsskills

• Total Badges: 26
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Signature
Re: So ... Probably a Hiscox but shaped or oblong?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:52:14 PM »
Both cases can take a bit of a beating before the violin becomes damaged.

Phil
Regards,

Phil

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal