Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: My Review Of A New Violin Pickup From G & Fills  (Read 3653 times)

Offline fiddler59

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Nineth year Anniversary
My Review Of A New Violin Pickup From G & Fills
« on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
I received a new violin pickup to try out yesterday and I thought I would give you my thoughts and impressions. It is made by G & Fills, a company that is in Barcelona Spain. First and foremost it needs a high impedance preamp, Red Eye (my favorite), LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI works well as does the Baggs Stage venue DI. The output is very clean and accurate. It sounds closer to a well micd fiddle than any other piezo type pickup I have ever used and is extremely feedback resistant and noise free. I installed it in the bass side of the bridge in between the wing slot. It is not recommended by the manufacturer to have too much pressure. Just enough for a nice fit so it will hold the position. I am extremely impressed with the tone as it sounds like a violin instead of a saxophone which I always had to work around with excessive eqing. String to string balance is excellent. Even the C string on my Dudley 5 and my Kogut 5 sound accurate and as it should. With Baggs, Gage, Fishman and Bradivarius pickups I always had to roll a lot of bottom end off to get the C string to balance with the rest of the strings and that caused other problems.. I think Barry Dudley, the distributer for the US, will be selling these for around $250 or so. He will be receiving a payment from me for the pickup. No funny business here. It might seem a little pricey but it is well worth it to me. Barry is a good friend of mine but I have paid for every instrument he has built for me. I am only reviewing this because i think it is an option worth pursuing. I make my living playing the fiddle and sound can make you or break you. The pickup has a mounting system that is easily installed with one allen screw. The assembly is made from either ebony or rosewood with cork to protect the instrument. One thing I really like about this system is how easy it is to move to other violins if you decide you want to play a different fiddle you might be liking better that day.

Barry's contact info for USA sales:

Barry Dudley
Dudley Violins
770-266-0237 shop
barry@dudleyviolins.com
www.dudleyviolins.com

David Blackmon
Elkin NC USA

Offline fiddler59

Re: My Review Of A New Violin Pickup From G & Fills
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:38:40 PM »
Another Pic.

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
would be really nice to hear some sound samples of this pickup...
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline fiddler59

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »
Jansberg.... Great to hear from you...... I am extremely busy right now but when time allows I'll see if I can get some samples up. I suppose you would want to hear them direct through the Red-Eye and a decent mic pre like my Hamptone valve pre or my Hamptone jfet mic pre. I'm kind of a recording geek too.

David Blackmon

Offline onlyme

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
Had a look at the g&fills website. There is nothing mentioned about the pu. When fit into the wings, how much does it mute the sound?

Offline fiddler59

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2013, 01:29:09 AM »
It does mute the sound some but not as much as the Fishman.....one cool feature is they supply a rubber mount you can easily slide it out of the bridge and secure it out of the way with the rubber mount provided when you want all your fiddle has to offer acoustically. I emailed them about putting up a page about the pickup but have not heard back from them yet.

DB

Offline Jansberg

• www.jansberg.com

• Total Badges: 32
    Linux User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:03:19 AM »
I sent them a mail after hearing from Barry Dudley, who was praising this pickup.

I got this from G & Fills:
I'm working on the information about the pickups, it will be available
soon at my website. You can view the pictures.
The philosophy of my pickups is simplicity and quality. One piezo in the
bridge, easy to mount and remove. Discreet and light output Socket in
ebony or rosewood.
Specifically designed for acoustic instruments, you can view the pictures.
Preamp is not necessary but recommended if you require extra gain.

I also got a euro price but thought it would be too much advertisement..
www.jansberg.blogspot.com - my blog about pickups, microphones, amplifiers and other gear for fiddles

Offline jincho

• Total Badges: 29
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
I tried one some weeks ago ( Barcelona is not very far from my home, actually) and I was very impressed of its sound, much better than the fishman that I used in the past

Offline procarpenter

• Total Badges: 23
    Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2020, 05:03:43 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I've been using a couple of these pickups since 2015, largely based on this review.

I have... Mixed feelings.

It's an ok pickup, it works, it sounds like a decent piezo pickup.

*However*

The actual element you stick in your bridge slot is basically a wadded up piece of copper around the piezo element itself. Very very crude, and completely inconsistent. I have two, and they each go on a different fiddle, because one is quite a bit bigger than the other and won't fit. Not only that, but because it is a wad of copper foil, it isn't flat, so there is a very specific spot where it fits, and nowhere else. There's a hump in the copper, so as you can imagine, this causes the whole thing to swivel around on the little hump of copper in the bridge slot. On top of all this hot garbage, the copper wad is large and heavy and makes a noticeable difference on tone, so you'll want to take it out when not using it, but guess what? Yup, it's fragile, and you'll damage it.

Go with a Baggs or a Pick Up the World, or even a Headway Band. You will be much happier.

I would say $500 wasted ($250 each), but they do amplify the fiddle, so they do work.

Switching to something better asap, though.

Sorry for the negative review, but the truth needs to be put out there. G & Fills should be ashamed to put out a product like this.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL