Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: M Voirin bows?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Illinoisfiddler

• Total Badges: 28
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Linux User
M Voirin bows?
« on: Feb 19, 2012, 11:46:47 PM »
 Hello-- I can't find any info on modern Voirin bows. I am looking at a pernambuco M Voirin bow at SW Strings and want to know a little bit about it. I am sure these are student-level bows at less than $300, but I believe they are European made? I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these and whether they play nice. I can't believe that there is very little information on the web about a currently made bow and yet so much information about  F.N. Voirin a Paris, Peccatte, etc. which are world-class bows but ancient all the same. ???

Offline Illinoisfiddler

Re: M Voirin bows?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
I did end up buying this bow and like it very much. Used it tonight and it was very responsive. Best $269 I have spent. Seems to be German-made and nicely balanced. Not as nuanced as my old Tourte copy, but much more predictable and supple. A good bow for not a lot of money. Me likey. :)

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2012, 01:32:58 AM »
Thanks for the review.  It's always nice to hear from other players on the gear / instruments they purchase, and how it works out for them.
sheryl

Offline Illinoisfiddler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2012, 03:53:37 AM »
No problem, Sheryl. I was hoping to get some review before I bought the bow, but perhaps not many people have this one. It's in a student budget price range but it seems to play better than that would indicate, or maybe I just haven't discovered the nuances of a $3000 bow. I do notice tiny differences in the bows I have, but I know how I want them to perform. The Tourte is probably the best bow I have, very nuanced and light, but it is more than is what is needed for most country band gigs. I want something responsive and fast but also a bow that pulls a loud tone and is durable to take the inevitable knocks on stage.

Offline Illinoisfiddler

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
I like this bow so much, I just bought another one. I have some other bows, including a Codabow Diamond GX and a 56g Tourte vintage bow that are worth more and are more refined, but for predictability and robust performance this bow can not be beat.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal