Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: I know I'm a bit late to the party, but my new 'Incredibow' is  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Widge

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Level 5
.........incredibowl!

My everlasting wif bought it for me for Christmas.

It's a 'Omni-incredi-what-the hell-is-this' bow from the lovely people at 'Dance Of Delight' (My wife thought he was lovely!!) and I have to admit it certainly made my knees revolve.

It it is great fun to play with on my violin (jury out on the viola).

It 'shouldn't' work at all by my conservative training...but since I'm up for anything as far as the violin is concerned I have no hang-ups about it and am slowly starting to love the things it does well.

It draws a surprisingly nice full legato sound, plays fast and fluidly and feels great in the hand. I can't QUITE control spiccato bowing in the same way I can with my pukka 'Seifert' fiddle bow but maybe this will come. There is a bit of in-built 'jitter' in the top third which needs a bit of wrist prolation to overcome.........but I like it!

I am NOT a violinist.....viola player born and bred.....but this is good -perhaps I don't have too many preconceptions about the violin and bow. I hardly ever get to play (violin)  professionally but teach it all day long and just know the kids will love its whackiness!

I have avidly read all the comments here about them when they were fresh off the boat and to be honest I am impressed by a very brave and credible attempt to reinvent the seemingly unassailable rule of the Tourte pattern bow.......
....but then,

I AM on some fairly strong medication!

You guys still enjoying your incredibows?

Tell me it's so!

Best

W

Offline Happy Camper

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Apple User Level 5
Re: I know I'm a bit late to the party, but my new 'Incredibow' is
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2012, 03:35:22 AM »

It is what I have practiced and played with for years.

Sure works for me.

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »
They're nice bows. Indestructable (even by my terminator standards) and always grip those strings.
A bit bouncy but controllable if you know what you're doing. Ive got a very expensive "standard" bow but I love the Incredibow,
Now ear this!

Offline pluwin

• Forum Friend

Avatar Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »
I have the no-frills- bow. I'll order a second one soon. I think it will be a high tension omnibow.

Offline morning

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »
I played with my Incredibow for a few years, but I got so much teasing from other musicians that I sort of gave it up. Honestly, though, there was nothing wrong with it. It's a purtygood bow.
I have a Coda bow now. It hasn't made me a better musician, but I think it plays easier.
Maybe I should sell it.. Maybe I will.

Offline mslefaye

• Total Badges: 11
    Level 3 Second year Anniversary Level 2
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:13:55 AM »
I played with my Incredibow for a few years, but I got so much teasing from other musicians that I sort of gave it up.
Maybe I should sell it.. Maybe I will.
Or you could donate it to a needy musician with only the stock bow that comes with a Fender violin ...
*Laughing*

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
I've lost count of the number of times people from the audience have come up and asked about the baroque bow I was playing!
Now ear this!

Offline David Henderson aka Yehudi Vicious

• Swinging the Lead

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was at Jed Murphy's Fiddle Hell in Bushey.  A guy came up when I was packing up and asked about the Incredibow I had been using, and yes he asked if it was a baroque bow.  I explained what it was and offered to let him try it.  No, he said, I don't play violin.  Then he said, I really liked your singing, I'm with the BBC.  All my dreams had come true and I waited diffidently for the invitation to attend the BBC for a new career to begin.  Yes, he went on, I play viola in the concert orchestra!  I drove home a little wistfully!
Swinging the Lead - http://www.swingingthelead.co.uk
(The Antidote to Boy Bands)

Offline Rosalba

• Total Badges: 14
    Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »
I actually found this forum because I was trying to find out about incredibows. I am retired & have lessons to learn early music & baroque, and also Celtic traditional music. I have a baroque replica bow that I use for the baroque repertoire, but actually I don't find it as controllable as my three-quarter fibre-glass student bow that I use for folk fiddle. I have been attracted by reading that the Incredibow is good for playing Scottish reels etc - but put off by hearing that it's like a baroque bow. 
I'd love more detail on this, particularly from fiddlers who also use or have used a baroque bow. Also, how hard is it to hold the bow - I was reading that it can make your thumb ache.
The thread is entitled 'I know I'm a bit late to the party' - so sorry, but I'm even later! :)

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »
It's just a bow. Extremely ugly, and it will indeed make your thumb ache, owing to a very cack-handed design (or is it a punishment blob?) at the frog (see pic). I'm sure it was designed for those with a bear-claw grip in mind.
http://www.incredibow.com/No%20frills%20classic%20frog%2082006.jpg
That said, once you get used to the different balance point, it does work, and is quite durable too - but don't believe those who say the hair is unbreakable - it isn't, as evidenced by those who 'corner' a lot.
Now for the bad points .... :)
Jim

Offline Rosalba

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2015, 10:41:05 PM »
    Thank you - and thank you for the picture. That certainly clears things up a bit. I don't know why I keep searching for the Magic Bow / the Magic Rosin etc, instead of just beavering away at my bowing skills...

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now and it hasn't lost a hair yet!   I have however actually worn string shaped grooves into the carbon fibre stock through very aggressive bowing for morris teams when playing outdoors and trying to thrash out as much noise as possible.
Good points for folky players:
1. It grips like hell and produces a pretty good tone from the artificial hair.
2. You don't have to remember to wind up and down the tension (I have on at least one occasion started to play and then realised I hadn't tightened up the hair on a regular bow)
3.because the hair is more or less indestructable you can press really hard and play very aggressively ,if you feel the need to, without losing hairs and having to pay for rehairing every year or two. 
4. It doesn't have any wood or real hair so doesn't warp or stretch in the rain.
Downsides:
1. It has a sort of hook-like notch at one end of the hair grip that can catch your strings or bridge if you aren't careful & are getting carried away. I once ripped the bridge off the fiddle in a performance..  all my own fault but just saying.
2. While it is easy to adapt to its shape  for bowing slow and medium speed stuff with reasonably long bow strokes , it can be a bit tricky to control if you are playing fast reels or similar using very short bows with light pressure
For the above reasons I use my "good" bow (an Arcus ) for most band performances and sessions where I am playing indoors and/or amplified and i mainly use the Incredibow for work with the morris team where it has to cope with being outdoors and rained on , having beer spilled on it and generally being thrashed .
But it can be used to very good effect. Jon Boden of bellowhead uses one all the time. As you can see from this clip he doesn't make a bad noise with it  https://youtu.be/es8OLa8W9l8
Now ear this!

Offline Rosalba

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2015, 04:28:46 PM »
Thanks, Nick, for this very detailed review, particularly useful as my ambition is (ultimately) to play folk. (I'll get there in about ten years' time & form a band called The Codgers!)
I love the video & have downloaded it to my Facebook page.  :)

Offline Lin

• Total Badges: 4
    Topic Starter Level 1 First Post
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2015, 11:46:50 AM »
Hi Everyone
I have just joined Fiddle forum and this is my first post.  My reason for joining was to find out about these bows, and I am so pleased I did - all the information is just great and very useful.  The video of John Boden is awe inspiring and I am very tempted to get one.  On Google I found two retailers in England, 1) Dance of Delight  - the website is down for maintenance 2) a shop on this forum at Warrington but cant seem to access that.  I would be very pleased if anyone could tell me how to access that.  Many thanks Lin

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
I got mine from Dance of Delight many years ago Lovely little place in the Cotswolds.  There's a contact page here - why not give them a call ?  http://www.danceofdelight.co.uk/Livemusic/About/index.htm
Now ear this!

Offline Lin

« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
Thank you Nick2 for your help and I certainly intend to do just that, but even following your link, I get the message that their website is down.  I will try again after Christmas when hopefully hey will have a brand new site up and running  :)

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2015, 12:53:41 PM »
That's very strange. I've tried the link from my post on two different computers today and it worked ok on both.  Their phone number is +44 (0) 1242 253961   if it doesn't  come back!  Good luck!
Now ear this!

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2015, 03:53:36 PM »
The site is up, but it looks like their store is down for refurb. I got this:

Due to a change in web technology we are rebuilding the Dance of Delight shop.
Should you wish to purchase a harp arrangement or CD please contact us at shop@danceofdelight.com and we will send you a secure link for payment.
  • Carolan’s Journey - Volume 1 is £9.99 including postage to UK (contact for other destinations)
  • Carolan’s Farewell to Music and Parry’s Delight both cost £1.50 for the pdf versions.
We hope to have the shop back online soon but if you have any other questions, please also contact us at the above email ddress.
Mark & Alison Harmer
shop@danceofdelight.com

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Lin

« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:37:40 PM »
yes thats what I got too, so I will be patient and wait  :)

Offline mpduffy

• Total Badges: 26
    Nineth year Anniversary 100 Posts Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2017, 01:57:51 PM »
I've been searching for an Incredibow for ages to use when playing for morris dancing. I love my wooden bow for classical music, but it's useless for playing outside in the damp British weather! I'd already moved over to an Elixir carbon fibre fiddle for outside playing and an Increibow seemed a good idea.

However, in my search I came across Coruss hair, which has had good reviews, so decided to give it a go. I have to say it's perfect for my needs, and the sound quality isn't too different from my horsehair bow (although I'm not declaring that my ears are the most discerning)!

For those interested, you can find the hair (or a whole vegan bow!) from Cardiff Violins.

http://www.cardiffviolins.co.uk/coruss-bow-hair/

http://www.cardiffviolins.co.uk/sound-choice-vegan-bows-full/

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal