Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Linnd violin shoulder rest review  (Read 5342 times)

Offline August

• Total Badges: 12
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 3 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
Linnd violin shoulder rest review
« on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
The Linnd shoulder rest (http://www.linnd.co.uk/) may be too modern looking for some traditional fiddlers but if they reject it for that reason they’re missing a great product. An interesting part of the design is a transverse bar between the fiddle and the section that fits on your shoulder, the bar takes a lot of stress off the fiddle compared to the death grip that most other rests have.
The Linnd rest seems to have become part of my fiddle because of its lightness, fit and spare design. For me it gives support in all the right places and none of the "why is it poking me there" ones. My fiddle seems to sound better too, can't tell if it's because it likes the rest, I like the rest or we both do.

Offline Pete Hartley

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary
Re: Linnd violin shoulder rest review
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
How many shoulder rests have you tried Richard?

Offline PhiddlePhartz

• Total Badges: 23
    Eighth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »
That looks pretty nice.  I recently switched to a Wolf secundo for the little bit of extra height I'd been needing over a Kun and have been pretty happy with that.

I take it that all the height adjustment spacers are included with the Linnd?  Now to see if they're available in the States.

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
Does it really matter what the rest looks like? It's about 80% obscured to an audience, 100% obscured to the player :)

It's hard to make a judgement on the Linnd without actually trying one, but here are my thoughts as a rest-using player of many years.

If you compare it to an "industry standard" rest like the Wolf Forte Primo (or Secondo), there are a lot of similarities. I use a Forte Primo. They are both lightweight (but I'm guessing the Linnd is lighter). They both support the instrument in a very similar way. No matter what rest you use, there is a minimum level of "gripping force" required to support the instrument properly (assuming a competent player who is able to keep the instrument stable, not twisting it around with bad left-hand technique, or over-gripping with the chin or shoulder, etc), so I'm not sure I agree with the "The vast majority of conventional shoulder rests rely on a relatively high pressure across the back of a violin to resist their tendency to splay open and to fall off when the instrument is being played." - this bit quoted on the Linnd site. However, I do agree with the earlier statement : "Using a pad as a rest - or even no shoulder rest at all - can also result in a tone-suffocating pressure being placed on the back of the violin." Of course, most rest-less players would either never have given this a thought, or would strongly disagree with it. But then they would, wouldn't they? One of the reasons for playing rest-less ;)

Another one here : Linnd site says : "Linnd shoulder rest offers the musician a combination of ergonomic and sonic advantages that cannot be surpassed, or even equalled, by any other violin shoulder rest." I'd have to try it out to agree with that, and at least one other person seems to think their fiddle might sound better (the original poster), and maybe it does, under the chin.

However, I can guarantee that a listener 10 feet away could not tell any difference between the Linnd and any other decent quality rest. I'm talking a real test here : listener is blindfolded, 10 feet away from a single player, who is playing the same fiddle, same music, but with different rests. A double-blind test would be even better, but a blindfolded player would be able to tell the difference in the feel of the rests, at least.

Not to say that the Linnd is in any way inferior, but I think we need to set a few things straight here :)

Jim

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »
well Jim, 10 ft. away or not, my Viva opens my fiddle up under the ear fairly significantly over any Kun I've ever tried. and as I've said before, I'm the one who has to live with it under my ear. Limited experience with Wolf, they may be fairly non-dampening, but I just don't like the feel of them. The Viva just doesn't seem to grip as tight. Either that or some aspect of the construction allows for more resonance less dampening. The Viva has those swivel feet but I just keep it on the centre settings.

As for this Linnd, I'd definitely be interested in trying it. I'll have Pay Pal set up in a few days (just hadda get on line to order some Lydian & phyrgian back tracks)

PhddlePhartz: if you find anything out about ordering for the US or in particular Canada, could you please let me know? I'll look into it myself with my limited computer skills.
"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
well Jim, 10 ft. away or not, my Viva opens my fiddle up under the ear fairly significantly over any Kun I've ever tried.

I can believe that. It's just that August was a little less sure about the difference in his case. I've not really noticed a lot of difference in tone between rests, although I do notice a difference without a rest at all (a negative difference). Then again, depends which chin you are using (ok, had to throw that one in) :)

If you want to hear some quite sensible (and also some extremely stupid comments) about shoulder rest comparisons, have a look at www.violinist.com :)

Overall it's a very good site, as you probably know, but as with any web resource, one does not need credentials or qualifications to talk sh***. Not having a go ... just a general observation.

Jim

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
Lydian & phyrgian back tracks)

Where would you get those? Just wondering ... I know that on a scale of A to G#, you're a Modiac :)

Jim

Offline August

• Total Badges: 12
    Level 3 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »
To answer Pete Hartley, I've used 3 different kinds of rests, not including the Linnd.

Offline Worldfiddler

• Forum Friend
    • World Fiddle Music

« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:34:36 PM »
To answer Pete Hartley, I've used 3 different kinds of rests, not including the Linnd.

Can you remember which brands?

Jim

Offline Pete Hartley

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:47:18 PM »
You got there first Jim!

It's great you have found something you like, but it helps to have some comparison.

Offline bluesviolin

• give me a 12 bar and turn me loose
  • bluesviolin

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:09:03 AM »
maybe this viva just fits a little looser (without falling off) than some others, who knows. I had an old Kun I also liked but lost it last year (that's when I got the viva) but it seems the newer adjustable length Kuns are configured different from the old ones (3 holes vs 4 holes or vicy-vercy) and either too tight or too loose for my liking.

Jim: May the Great Ringed Binder look favourably on you for asking about modes  ;D ;D. anyways.... googled Lydian mode, then into youtube > whole buncha guitarists doing gymnastics with all sorts of stuff, but a few very good Lydian solo's. found a teacher, goes by "Wallimann" seems very good (even had one guy on v.com agree with me on that) teaches on all sorts of stuff including modes. His site has back track links. The one I'm looking at is: http://www.guitarplayback.com/Church-Modes-Jam-Tracks-Bundle
He offers both vamp & groove tracks for the modes. Looks like the groove tracks are divided in two for a mellow and a higher energy.

...and... back to shoulder rests  :) 
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2011, 02:36:10 AM by bluesviolin »
"Striving to attain Mediocrity"

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal