Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Newbie Looking for A Case  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Cassady

• Total Badges: 6
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
Newbie Looking for A Case
« on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »
I'm a newbie to the forum and not a violin player (although that may chagne)--I'm a guitarist who is learning stringed instrument repair.

I've mostly been learning about working on guitars, but I remembered an old violin that my brother had laying around that hadn't been touched in decades.  I thought this would be a good opportunity to learn something about working on violins and I was right.

Here's a picture of the violin after my work was completed:

I'm pretty happy with the way the violin turned out--I fit and cut a new bridge, sanded and stained the finger board, fit the tuning pegs, installed a new end pin and tail piece hanger and did some touch up work on the finish.  I've now moved on to learning bow repair and re-hairing.

I'm not, however, going to be able to repair the case.  As you can kind of see in the photo, it's in pretty bad shape.  Ideally,I'd like to find a case in a style that's appropriate to the violin.  My teacher thinks it's a 1920's or 1930's Czech trade violin.

Are there any modern cases that would be an appropriate style (and price) for this instrument or do I need to keep trying to find an old case and buy a new one in the mean time?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Advertise Here

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Newbie Looking for A Case
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:39:55 AM »
It might be the angle of the picture, but is the bridge cut backwards? The high side should be on the bass: yours looks somewhat low on that side...

Regardless, if you're trying to find an old-style case like that, what you're looking for is called a "coffin case." If you're just looking for something to put the fiddle in, the more modern versions are called "dart cases." There's a chap on eBay that's selling them for $15.00: just search on item number 220914369496

Welcome to the forum!

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Cassady

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:09:29 AM »
It might be the angle of the picture, but is the bridge cut backwards? The high side should be on the bass: yours looks somewhat low on that side...

First, thanks for the advice.  I'd really like to find an old case that suits the violin.  We have cases for sale at "work" (it's really too much fun to be called work, though) and I may end up getting one of those until I locate an appropriate case.

As to the bridge, I think you're right and it's probably the angle of the photo.  If I recall correctly, I took the photo after doing some finish touch-up and before I replaced the strings and set the bridge in it's "permanent" location.  I think the action (if that's what it's called on a violin) is at 3mm on the treble side and 3.5mm on the bass side.  It also might be 4mm and 4.5mm, I don't remember exactly what it's set at and don't have a good understanding of what constitute proper string height on a violin, but it's what my boss/teacher told me it should be.

The worst thing I had to do, by far, was setting the sound post.  I'm still awful at sound post setting, but I got this one standing in about the right place.

Thanks again for the advice, I though "coffin case" was a brand of guitar cases...

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:13:41 AM »
You're welcome. The problem with period cases is that they're cheap when in as rough (or rougher) shape than yours, and quite dear when they're in good nick.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline oldtimestrings

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »
Regardless, if you're trying to find an old-style case like that, what you're looking for is called a "coffin case." If you're just looking for something to put the fiddle in, the more modern versions are called "dart cases."
Actually I understand "coffin case" to refer to the even older style, the 19th century ones that really are just wood boxes, sort of trapezoidal in shape, lined, and often with handle situated on the top of the case rather than the side. The one the OP pictured is just the old, early 20th century style of shaped case.

To the OP, I wouldn't recommend searching out an old case like the one you have. Even in the best condition, they just don't provide the kind of protection I'd want for my (modestly priced) instrument. I do, however, like shaped cases more than oblong ones. They are usually lighter, definitely sleeker, and they just look a little more in line with a vintage aesthetic IMO. The best shaped cases for under $100 are made by Bobleock. Highly recommended.

Offline Cassady

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:18:37 AM »
Thanks, oldtimestrings, those Bobelock cases look like they might be my best alternative in a new case.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal