Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: So I married an early adopter... (Phantom shoulder rest)  (Read 7277 times)

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
So I married an early adopter... (Phantom shoulder rest)
« on: Nov 09, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »
On the bright side, she isn't an axe murderer as far as I've been able to notice.  :o

This morning the postman brought a pouch from Hong Kong, and now her acoustic four-string is sporting a new shoulder rest. She thinks it is a bit louder this way, compared to the sound with the Mach One rest.

The concept isn't exactly new. I've seen a couple of similar rests from what I think is the early mid-twentieth century, with little velvet-covered pads on the end of chrome-plated diving boards made of spring steel, meant to slip between the back of the fiddle and the chinrest clamp. Fiddlejen and I saw one such rest in an antique shop in Groton, with gadgetry so it could be unclipped to go in the case, without distubing the  chinrest.

This one has prongs that slip alongside the tail pin, with a string wound around the pin and held tight by little screw buttons. We will see how that goes.
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline Widge

• Total Badges: 23
    Linux User Mobile User Level 5
Re: So I married an early adopter... (Phantom shoulder rest)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »
Hi Bill,

Verry Interesting..............seems like an elegant solution?

The thing that worries me - and has always worried me - is, how 'safe' are things that attach to other things that aren't designed to have things attached to them (if you get my drift!)

How much 'strain' in all the wrong directions does this gizmo put on the end button for instance? There must be forces at work that are counter to the forces that the the end button is designed (or evolved) to cope with? Doesn't the weight and lever action of attaching a bracket to it force it into stress it is not designed for?

I can see a good strong ebony button coping with this for a while but wonder whether it might end in tears.

Also.....how much faff is involved with putting it on and taking it off compared with just throwing on a Mach 1 or similar?
These and their clones are my fave at the moment. Before that I was a big fan of 'Resonans'- cheap, simple and effective.

Best

Widge

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
How much 'strain' in all the wrong directions does this gizmo put on the end button for instance?

Widge, that was pretty much my first thought. The thing looks too much like a shoulder-powered endpin extractor for my comfort. Safe enough if the endpin fits nice and tight, I suppose, but if it is time to wrap another cigar band around it, things could go pete tongue and then sideways in a hurry.

As far as faffing around goes, it does not seem like a big deal. Loosen one screw knob, unwrap the little string, and off it pops. Similar quick routine to put it back on. Thursday afternoons SWMBO teaches away from the house, and is taking the Mach One instead. She says the normal rest is more stable for setting the fiddle down on a table.

It is louder. Yesterday, in a lesson, she did slide the mute on to keep from overpowering her student's fiddle. We should all have to get used to such a problem already.

Offline Worldfiddler

• http://www.youtube.com/user/JimViolin
  • Forum Friend
  • Fiddle player - Classical, Irish, Bluegrass, Snazz
    • World Fiddle Music

Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
Now *that* is not just a rest, it's a contraption! :)

Jim

Offline stubshaft

• Total Badges: 18
    Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2011, 02:53:38 AM »
Ingenious to say the least.

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
So to put it into a violin case, you have to unscrew the button and unwrap the string, etc?  Looks like a good solution, but looks a tad complicated compared to the kun style.  But I think it would be a great solution on my Bridge Electric, since a regular shoulder rest doesn't stay on very well.  But it also looks like I may need another chin rest with Hill feet.

Is her model the original or the adjustable?  and how does SWMBO like the feel of it on her shoulder?

How well does fit in a violin case pocket? what size is the removeable part?

Inquiring minds want to know.... :-)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011, 08:25:00 PM by fiddledeedee »
sheryl

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
She loves it, says she can hardly feel it's there. The dismounted rest goes in a fitted pouch that ought to fit in most cases. or go in with sheet music without snagging anything. The one shown is the regular one. She also got the adjustable one, but hasn't tried it yet. I suspect she will find a willing victim guinea pig tester amongst her students.

I don't think a regular chinrest clamp will get in the way of anything. Make sure your endpin is secure before using this one, please. It looks too much like a cousin to a fancy tool for popping out stuck endpins.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
I shouldnt have one, as there is no rest for the wicked.
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2011, 12:51:59 AM »
Hi Bees--

What does your wife think of it now... after using it for 3+ weeks?
sheryl

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2011, 01:09:42 AM »
She likes it, and is still using it on the four-string violin she uses for teaching.

Offline MusicalGirevik

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »
I'd be interested in a viola version.

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
I'd be interested in "trying" one, but not for $40 + shipping.
sheryl

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
If you do try one, I'd recommend the regular one, not the adjustable model.

Myra is using the regular one every day. I like the way it feels. The "adjustable" rest doesn't feel as secure on either of us, even with a lot of twisting and bending. I didn't care for it on my 16" viola, but the regular Phantom rest seems to have enough reach for it (to get the prongs around the end pin) and is comfy.

An unexpected visitor just showed up with an adjustable one, and we sat around trying it this way and that, coming to the conclusion that the regular rest was best for her too. I'm beginning to think that the folks at Phantom did their homework when shaping the regular rest, and very few of us are special enough to need the ability to bend up a custom fit.

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:01:39 AM »
Thanks for the update Bees.  I've decided to pass on getting one for now.  I'm pretty happy with the FOM shoulders rests I'm using - I have nothing to complain about on them - and they do what they were purchased for (hold up the violin).  I'm saving my shekels for some other unknown new toy.

(Totally off topic) Actually, I just spent my shekels on a violin setup / tweak. We were up in Nashville to hear the Zac Brown band last night, and I  had Fred Carpenter (of The Violin Shop) take a look at my Charles Horner violin  while we were visiting.  About a month ago, we noticed that the bridge was 1/4 inch too close to the bridge, and I wanted someone's opinion.  Not only did Fred fix that, but also put some relief back into the G string side of the fingerboard, and did some other smaller things (like shrink wrap the electrical cord that came out of the Brad bridge - to cut down interference).  All in all, I got a sweet deal - I have an even better sounding fiddle to play on. The G string now has a lot more depth to it, and I'm a happy camper. 
sheryl

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »
Love it when the equipment gets put into shape by someone who knows what they are doing. Sitting briefly a few years ago in Ken Meyer's front room, watching him do this and that to a nothing-special cello, and listening to what he had to say about it, was well worth the hike to Newton.

I should probably qualify what I said about using the Phantom rest on a viola. The adjustable rest has a piece that slides onto dovetail tracks on the prongs of the endpin grabber, and gets secured by a flap of velcro. That seems like a more reliable way to grab the pin of a viola. The regular rest was hanging on by the far ends of those prongs... it worked, but I don't know that I'd want to vouch for its ruggedness in prolonged viola service. Would be neat if they made a viola model.

Offline Jugband

• Total Badges: 9
    Second year Anniversary Search One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2013, 01:20:19 PM »

This morning the postman brought a pouch from Hong Kong, and now her acoustic four-string is sporting a new shoulder rest. She thinks it is a bit louder this way, compared to the sound with the Mach One rest.

So now we come to the summer of 2013, a year and a half later.

What is her opinion of the Phantom Shoulder Rest NOW??

They are still $48, delivered, though I emailed to see if they would combine shipping on two of them, and was told that they will "discount the shipping" on three or more.

I guess the question of them yanking out endpins has been answered, because I don't see anyone talking about getting theirs pulled out, and the rest has been around for a few years now.

If someone paid $48 (or $78 Adjustable) for a rest that yanked out their endpin, THAT would be showing up in reviews and discussion groups like this one.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal