Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: I'm desperate - wedding music  (Read 1397 times)

Offline fiddly diddly

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Mobile User
I'm desperate - wedding music
« on: Aug 24, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »
Hi Folks ...I'm desperate...a lady has asked me to play at her wedding ...I recommended some of the professionals on here who do that sort of thing ...but she's adamant she wants me to play (thankfully she's heard me before)  and she liked my playing apparently and the other bonus is I suppose Im pretty cheap ...she is going to do me a bit of art work in exchange for my services ...seemed like a good deal as she is probably a better artist than I am fiddler !
so I desperately need simplish dots for : Mendelssohns - Wedding March and Wagnas - Bridal Chorus ...I have actually found some dots but Im sure most of it is missing ...and I actually hate these pieces ...hence I want to be able to learn them quickly with out much practice and possibly throw in some impro to brighten them up ...

oh I have really got a great version down of jesu joy of mans desiring  ;D

So any assistance with the dots would be brill ...the wedding isnt until October so I have a little time ..and I am quite scared cos I havent played solo at such an event before so any tips for calming my nerves would be great too  :-[

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline Mnfele

• Total Badges: 22
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
Re: I'm desperate - wedding music
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »
..and I am quite scared cos I havent played solo at such an event before so any tips for calming my nerves would be great too  :-[

A couple of points to remember. One- you (the music) are not the focus of everyone's attention. This is the bride's day and everyone will be watching her and the wedding party. Two- something WILL go wrong. The rehearsal may be perfect. You have everything just right. Then the priest will mess things up!!! (Just an example) But don't worry, some how things will work out. Just be prepared for the unexpected.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Total Badges: 17
    Level 4 Third year Anniversary Search
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Two- something WILL go wrong. The rehearsal may be perfect. You have everything just right. Then the priest will mess things up!!! (Just an example) But don't worry, some how things will work out. Just be prepared for the unexpected.

Yep!  The bride may not come in on cue and you're stuck playing for 3-4 extra minutes, for example.

Offline Emma

• Senior Moderator
  • If you can walk, you can dance.

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Quick Poster Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »
Or, what happened to me, the bride walked more quickly than expected, so we had to abandon a section of the tune and move swiftly on to the finale.

I was terrified the entire day until my part was over. After that it was great fun and I felt very honoured to have played at my friend's wedding. I hope you enjoy this wedding!
Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.
(Michael Pollan)

Offline Joe Gerardi

• Global Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • I *bothered* to edit my profile... :-)

• Total Badges: 32
    Apple User Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »
We had the wedding planner decide to move us up onto the altar 20 minutes before the wedding started.  The ushers completely blocked the view of the aisle, so I had no idea when the bridesmaids were at the altar. We were playing the Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary, and were supposed to switch to The Bridal Chorus for the bride. Thankfully, at the last minute, I saw the rose petals the flower girls were dropping from between the legs of the Best Man,  and knew that the bride came down the aisle after them. I counted "five" to give the flower girls time to get in place, then ended the Clarke.

As an organist, I played 60, maybe 80 weddings when I was Organist and Choir Director at a church. The one thing I can tell you is that a pause between pieces - in about 95 per cent of the circumstances - is actually a good thing: it sort of builds the anticipation and makes for a solemn moment between pieces. Don't worry about the clams - they're going to happen - but no one out there knows what the music (even well-known pieces such as these) really sound like.

..Joe
"Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs"

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »
Or, what happened to me, the bride walked more quickly than expected, so we had to abandon a section of the tune and move swiftly on to the finale.
I think that's why everyone uses the Pachabel Canon, as much as it's over-used, re-used and re-cycled... it comes to a nice cadence every four bars, so you can stop almost anywhere and if "feels" OK when you do it!

Crucial piece to have in your repertoire, unless you're a cellist. ;D
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline fiddly diddly

• Total Badges: 29
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for your advice and Jo for the links...I think I will be really nervous but the good thing is I get to warm up with some tunes in the foyer while all the guests arrive so that will help me relax (I think) ...Ive got some versions down of the tunes I need now and a whole array of romanticy pieces such as waltzes ...some very nice french tunes and some nice trad english ones too ...yes I keep telling myself all eyes will be on the bride and she is very beautiful so she will easy distract from the snapping of my strings and the odd bum note etc etc etc ....

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal