Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: carbon fiber bow search  (Read 13341 times)

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Search Mobile User Windows User
Re:carbon fiber bow search
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2004, 03:25:37 PM »
I send out Cadenza Artist all the time.

Offline rcc

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2004, 06:14:21 PM »
There are quite a few shops that will ship stuff to you for a one week (or so, the exact terms vary from shop to shop) trial.  Ifshin, Johnsons, Shar, and of course Steve come to mind.  Quinn probably does, too.

If I were looking for a ~$200 CF bow, I'd recommend calling up Steve and deciding between a Cadenza Artist or an Arcolla if he has them in stock.

- Ray

Offline gilly

• Use the Bow, Luke.

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2004, 01:48:33 AM »
I think I  will be calling Steve in the morning. I just want a bow. I had my violins checked and got the old bow rehaired. The old bow just doesn't feel the same now.  
Gilly

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2004, 10:18:26 PM »
Purple bow, PURPLE BOW ?? ?? ?? WHERE ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

Bob's got some purple bow hair for me, so that would be the icing on the cake!!!

Hey Mark, I have a purple bow here.  Happy to get it to ya.  Let me know.  It's got sparkles too.  And purple hair.

Offline Bob L

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2004, 04:26:48 AM »
I just got a carbon fiber bow from Sam Ash, with their house brand name of Carlo Robelli.  This feels better than my best pernambuco bow, at least at first.  Does anybody know anything about the Carlo Robelli bows?  The metalflake red color is almost an exact match for the Yamaha SV-205.

Offline Richard Martin

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2004, 10:57:45 AM »
many many people rave about the Codabow range. A few people here have them.

guess its a good excuse for me to rave - I have a coda electric and I love it

Offline Richard Martin

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2004, 11:05:09 AM »
Justg read this thread through and want to comment on the coda electric - for marks interest the colour is a pearlescent / metalic looking and it passes through a few shades when viewed from different angles and purple does seem to be its primary colour. It is a good bow well balanced and responsive. I have several bows - my best being a dorfler hand made pernambuco - costs about 1000 so not a bad bow - in truth I tend to reach for the coda more often than the dorfler - only thing stopping it getting used more is how conservative the people I play with are - a purple bow and a traditional hand made violin????? but with the blue / green lyra it is a good match

Offline chifiddler

Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2004, 06:39:51 PM »
I have used the Coda Colours while my other Coda was being rehaired and it is pretty!  When I told my piper that I had a colored bow, he thought it would be one of those fiberglass bows that are very harsh looking, it just changes colors as the light hits it. To me it looks mostly brownish.

Offline fidla

Re: carbon fiber bow search
« Reply #58 on: Nov 25, 2006, 02:45:49 PM »
it just changes colors as the light hits it. To me it looks mostly brownish.

I'm not sure how it works, I bet Don Stackhouse could explain it to you.  Has something to do with the materials used and how they reflect light.

Offline museyroom

• Total Badges: 16
    Level 4 Seventh year Anniversary Level 3
« Reply #59 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:51:19 PM »
Just bought this -

A Top Carbon Violin Bow , Silver Mounted, #58B ebay.co.uk(ended)          [edited.link. Richard]

Haven't played for about ten years, and my old Brazil wood bow is quite vile... I thought a new toy might get me back into it! I figured at this price a carbon bow would be better than anything wooden - so it came down to this or a Glasser braided which is quite a lot dearer. Anyone got a bow by this maker? All his ebay feedback is good... what if anything that tells us I don't know! Looks all right in the photos, will report back when I've played it but it looks pretty cool for the money - I guess I'll have a small amount of change out of £100 by the time I've paid import duty.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2006, 04:44:16 PM by Richard »

Offline transport

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #60 on: Dec 21, 2006, 01:57:48 AM »
Just bought this -

Anyone got a bow by this maker? All his ebay feedback is good...

I got mine the other day. Its a more basic version of yours:

WOW!!! A Fine Carbon Violin Bow (4/4) #58A ebay.com.au (ended)
              [edited.link.Richard]

and I got it for a song.

It actually weighs in at 57-58g, and is not quite as stiff as my good violin bow ( pernambuco).... Its lighter and the balance feels very simillar ( especially on the height off the string, at my average playing tension ). Off the shelf its probably the next best bow to my pernambuco.

Yitamusic seems a great supplier, I have bought from them in the past and they seem very nice people to deal with. I would suggest that the reason their feedback is good, is that they are upfront and honest. And their products are good. Some of the violins that pass through there seem ...  magnificent, for new instruments.

I like my bow, but given that I got it for bargain bidding price, I find I probably tend to judge it by thinking "gee this should have cost me much more than this!". I believe you will be very pleased with your new bow. I am intending to rehair it with some monofilament when its due for a rehair then I think it may be my best "allrounder" bow. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the hairs, they are good quality, but I just like the idea (and feel) of synthetic hairs, and I suspect I will like this bow even more with them.

Your bow looks prettier than mine. I can't tell if you have it yet so let us know how it goes.

Oh and PS. I found that in my furvour to get it up and runnng I have over rosined it so may be go light on the rosin to start with, I'm still wearing mine off but its getting nicer with use. :P
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2006, 04:47:03 PM by Richard »

Offline museyroom

« Reply #61 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:25:06 AM »
Thanks Transport. Jeez, you stole yours! ;)

I hope it doesn't turn out to be much lighter than 60 g  - I tend to like lighter bows but I'm not sure about dropping down into the 50s. I know buying without trying is the cardinal sin in musical instruments but that's a cheap bow for what it is and (hopefully) good value... although not as good as yours!

I gather they'll have it back and re-fund if I don't like it, but if it doesn't quite cut the mustard I'll probably keep it as a spare and get the Glasser... fingers crossed!

Merry Christams by the way!!

MR

Offline transport

« Reply #62 on: Dec 21, 2006, 12:25:30 PM »
  ... Jeez, you stole yours! ;)

D'oh.... now don't say that !!   :(   I'm feeling guilty about it   :)

Some of the things I have bought on Ebay I have paid a pittance for and I feel guilty when I get them :-X. This is one of them.
I didn't really expect to get that bow, its just everyone else must have got distracted, or something, when the auction ended.  ;D And the more I use the bow I find I like the bow, so the guiltier I feel  >:D

I don't think you'll be sending it back. I think you'll find its a nice bow. The one you got sure looks flashier than mine too. :afro:

Offline transport

« Reply #63 on: Dec 21, 2006, 12:32:31 PM »
oh whoops ........ and merry christmas to you too  ;(  See you played on my "guilty" feelings so much I forgot to reciprocate  ;D ;D

Maybe Santa will get the bow to you in time, they are really fast delivery to Aus. ( I think mine took about 4 days )  .
Mind you these days it seems like China and Australia are in the same building but they are on the 3rd floor or 4th floor. LOL

Offline museyroom

« Reply #64 on: Dec 21, 2006, 12:58:12 PM »
Thanks mate - don't feel too guilty, I made up their Xmas funds with what I paid for mine! (Teach me to buy at fixed price...!) Mind you, for that particular spec, they start the auctions at 69.99 and I "Bought Now" for 75, so it's the going rate. From what I can tell they know how to make a good bow and according to them that's the best carbon one they make... we'll see. I'll let you know and post some decent pics when I get it... I'm quite excited now! Just been looking at the Arcus Cadneza... ah some day!!

Offline fidla

« Reply #65 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:03:50 PM »
Mia I would really like your opinion on my fiddle bow. 

Offline tpquinn

• Total Badges: 21
    Level 5 Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #66 on: Jan 21, 2017, 03:22:12 AM »
Let me knock some rosin dust off this thread and ask what's the current view is on CF bows around $200?

I've only been playing for 6+ months, but putting in 1-2 hrs of practice a day and have a nice sounding German trade violin coming out of the shop so my instructor suggested I upgrade from my low-end Glasser. I'm looking for something that's "better" than my current ability to handle, but one that I won't overtake in another 6 months.  I've read most of the threads on FF, other forums, and web sites and am now suffering from a combination of brain-strain and analysis paralysis: Coda, Incredibow, Acrolla, Holtz, Musicary, Cadenza... And the $200 is a loose amount. The right bow is the one I'll buy, regardless if it's $100 or $300. Oh, and I'm learning Irish/Celtic & OT, if that makes a difference.

Thanks all,

p
Bad times make for good stories.

Offline awildman2384

• Total Badges: 26
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #67 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:54:09 AM »
Unfortunately, I have no specific advice about them as I haven't tried a lot, nor compared them.  I am, however, happy with my expensiver Coda GX, and I really liked the NX as well.  Not sure you can go majorly wrong with any of the above brands.  Compare warranties and support etc  - that sort of thing is important to me, anyway. 

I think the usual caveat about try-before-you-buy applies here.  Get a few on trial from a retailer that has a decent selection, and playtest them all over a week.  The best one (for you) will certainly make itself known.   (Might have to do this in a couple batches, depending on the shop's trial policies)  And make sure you trial them on the fiddle you will be playing.  Bow and fiddle compatibility seems a minor thing, but it can actually be a big deal. 

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #68 on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
Yes definitely try before you buy, preferably at home,  if you can.  I found choosing a bow even harder than choosing a fiddle.
The thing is the differences can be quite subtle and you may not notice them to start with.

There should be quite a big jump in quality from (say) a $50 bow to a $200 dollar one.
You'll notice different weights are available and you need to find what suits your style of playing.

You should also notice that a half decent bow will run "truer" . It's a bit like the steering on a good car compared to an old jaloppi - the unwanted "wobbles" start to disappear. 

More expensive bows (and boy they can get expensive) are even harder to judge because some of their subtleties only start to notice when you are playing more stretching stuff - like high positions up the neck, or doing more advanced bowing techniques.  And these can be a bit embarassing to try out   in front of a shopful of people,  unless you are really good!

And it is really personal. Anyone who's been to a Fiddle Hell and done some "You try mine I'll try yours" will notice that what feels like a great bow to one person can feel awful to another.
Now ear this!

Offline tpquinn

« Reply #69 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »
Yep, I most certainly do plan on trying before buying, and with my instructor sitting there.

Hmm, "warranty and support". Something I hadn't really been considering, but will now (actually have a comparison spreadsheet going comparing dealers and bows so in goes another column).

As for weights, I've wondered about that, but they don't seem to be listed in the specs often.  :-\

And regarding that some bows may be more 'compatible' with some fiddles, will that partly be influenced by the strings? My fiddle's coming back with Dominants, but I'll be trying others over time to find what suits my fiddle and ears best. Would a bow that works for me with one flavor of string not work quite as well, or maybe work even better, with another type? Seems like there are too many unknowns to be able to solve for x.

Offline awildman2384

« Reply #70 on: Jan 22, 2017, 12:08:56 AM »
"And regarding that some bows may be more 'compatible' with some fiddles, will that partly be influenced by the strings? My fiddle's coming back with Dominants, but I'll be trying others over time to find what suits my fiddle and ears best. Would a bow that works for me with one flavor of string not work quite as well, or maybe work even better, with another type? Seems like there are too many unknowns to be able to solve for x."

Yes.  To a degree, anyway.   But you can only solve for so many variables in the time you have, and I wouldn't agonize overmuch over a $200 bow.  You're probably going to outgrow anything you get now anyway.  Or you could do like me and play on an $80 bow for 9 years.  Many people use cheaper bows for longer.  Just get something nice that plays well in your price range and concentrate on making yourself a better player by using it a lot.   ;)

Offline tpquinn

« Reply #71 on: Jan 22, 2017, 12:39:18 AM »
So basically, try some, get one I like, and don't overthink it. I can do that.

Offline awildman2384

« Reply #72 on: Jan 22, 2017, 01:54:32 AM »
Yes!  Even better if you make sure to do it with your teacher.  A good teacher will be able to get you thinking about aspects that you wouldn't think to evaluate.

Offline Nick2

• Forum Friend
  • Ape of scrape

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #73 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
I'd second that. Have fun choosing!
Now ear this!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /