Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: carbon fiber bow search  (Read 13302 times)

Offline chifiddler

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
Re:carbon fiber bow search
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2004, 12:58:26 AM »
I vote for the Coda Colours bow for your gigs. The bow changes color as the light hits it and it responds the same as the Coda Conservatory bow. I tried one when they were rehairing my Conservatory bow at the fiddle shop and I was quite pleased with it.

My musical friend was worried when I told him I had a colored bow, thought it would be tacky until he saw it and thought it was tasteful the way the colors played off the bow. It is not expensive either. I asked the fiddle shop about the Coda Electric and they said it was comparable.

I have a nice wooden bow as well, but I don't use it that much in the session situations I find myself in. Have the shop you get it from pre-rosin it as well!  :)  Good luck in your decision!

Offline swarbrules

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 23
    Tenth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2004, 07:07:48 PM »
For those of us in the UK, Tim Phillips

http://www.timsviolins.supanet.com

is doing a special deal on Coda bows

I can't see them listed under any of our UK sponsors so I don't feel too bad in saying that my Aspire cost me 163 inc next day delivery.

It's very light and the tone is great for the price.

Offline Mia

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:51:46 PM »
thanks everyone!
i bought a black musicary bow today from shar music!
i'll let you know how i like it once it's received. :)

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths
    • madfiddler - Electric Violinist

• Total Badges: 44
    Mobile User Level 7 5000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:17:15 PM »
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I'm really happy with my white one - except that it's white, not purple ;)
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra membership privileges.

Offline spelare

• Total Badges: 25
    Apple User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2004, 01:15:15 AM »
I've got a Coda Classic I bought after trying both a Classic and Conservatory, but as I have often repeated, when I showed both bows around, it was about 50/50 on what other folks preferred.  I still think the Coda Classic is one of the best deals out there under $1000 (made in USA, if anybody cares).

I just got an Arcolla CF and Coda Aspire to try for our daughter, who's soon to move to a 4/4.  I like the Aspire; she likes the Arcolla, of course.

To me, the Aspire has a lighter feel - like I could play it all day (if I could play all day, that is -dealing with a pinched nerve now for a couple of months - so I'm looking for all the help I can get, but I digress....)  It doesn't pull quite the tone of the Classic or Conservatory, but it feels great.  The Arcolla has a bit more of a traditional feel, but doesn't really do anything for me soundwise.  Our daughter's been using the Glasser composite, so I think this has more in common with that than a really good CF, though it's a great bow if you can get it for under $150, I think.  Around $200, try an Aspire.

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #30 on: Mar 19, 2004, 02:37:40 AM »
you know I have heard steve talking about the aspire for a long time
but I have yet to try one
tell you what, steve, send me an aspire and I'll send you one of our new fiddler bows

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #31 on: Mar 19, 2004, 02:50:48 AM »
Which Steve?  I have the Cadenza line.  Got one Arcolla CF in that I liked.  What is the fiddler bow?

Offline Mia

« Reply #32 on: Mar 30, 2004, 06:23:05 AM »
i received my musciary bow last week, but grrrr! the tip of it was chipped! i did have a chance to try it out though... it was a bit heavy for my taste, but maybe this is something i can get used to. i'm used to playing with a wider space between the leather strip and the nose of the bow too, so once i receive my replacement bow, i should get that adjusted. i can't really tell what the bow is like before getting the adjustment, since it feels awkward for me to play with like that.

Offline fidla

« Reply #33 on: Mar 31, 2004, 03:48:31 AM »
Steve this is the new fiddler's cf bow that Pioneer Valley Luthier Supply is developing in conjunction with Glasser.  I took many measurements and comments from dealers, suppliers and especially Andrew Victors fantastic carbon bow spreadsheet!

Expecting prototype II this spring.  Will update y'all.

Offline bassfiddler

• Huh?
    • my trio

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
« Reply #34 on: Apr 01, 2004, 04:23:35 AM »
I wish I had found this thread earlier, I have some insight...
K. Holtz colored bow:
27 dollar bow, 53 dollar paint job.
Arcolla CF:
very good copy of CodaBow Aspire, less money.
CodaBow Electric:
This is my bow. I use it with my SV-120 Yamaha, Candy Apple Red. The bow changes from purple to blue to green. Way cool, and even though I'm 41 years old, I think of it as my first "grownup" bow.
 My technique has improved to the point where I needed a bow that wouldn't hop between downbow and up-bow, or on string crossings. Anyone who thinks they're ready for a better bow should really go for it. I could go on and on, but I'll be polite, and wait for you to ask...

Offline Leon Grizzard

« Reply #35 on: Apr 01, 2004, 05:20:48 PM »
I have two bows now. One is an R.A. Meinel from Shar, described as medium weight, flexibile to moderately-flexible; the other is noticably heavier and stiffer, and I seem to pick that one up more often.  A friend has a Presto from Shar, and it seems really light weight.

Which of the moderately priced CF bows are heavier and stiffer?  Say, $300, maybe a little more, but would like to spend a little less.

And is there a consensus that you get more stick in this price range than wood?
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2004, 05:21:50 PM by Leon Grizzard »

Offline baldgeezer

• Total Badges: 29
    Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #36 on: Apr 01, 2004, 06:04:51 PM »
For me you can't beat the Arcus CF bows. A tad more expensive than what you are looking at here but definitely worth the money. A beautifully balanced bow with lots of power when you need it.

-Dave

Offline lionsfearDaniel

Search Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #37 on: Apr 02, 2004, 05:25:18 AM »
I've had my Codabow "Classic" for about two weeks now, (60.3 grams) and I must say, I'am amazed on the difference between my german made seifert pernambuco and the CF. The Codabow had clean lower notes with silky smooth 5,6,7th position high E-string notes..its a keeper.. I do notice a quieter note on the  F note --- D string, and the double stops on D & A seem brighter with the wood stick....would love  to try out the Arcus  cadenza  pernambuco gold wrap..:)
       Baldgeezer ...I'am still waiting on my Jordan 5  ...Talked to John Jordan yesterday... still 5 to 6 weeks behind orders...  :(
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2004, 05:32:34 AM by lionsfearDaniel »

Offline Leon Grizzard

« Reply #38 on: Apr 02, 2004, 04:51:03 PM »
As I work my way thrugh the seven stages of talking yourself into spending way more money than you intended:  The Coda Classic costs a bunch more than the Conservatory, and a lot of the difference seems finish, bow case,  etc., plus 1/2 gram more weight.  I am not sure that at my level of playing I can justify the hundreds of dallars more.  Talk about a ten dollar horse and a fifty dollar saddle (going out west to punch Texas cattle).

Is the Classic worth the extra money compared to the Conservatory?

Offline Steve_W

Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #39 on: Apr 02, 2004, 06:17:25 PM »
Baldgeezer ...I'am still waiting on my Jordan 5  ...Talked to John Jordan yesterday... still 5 to 6 weeks behind orders...  :(

Off topic, John Jordan lives a couple miles from me; I've visited his workshop/garage a few times for various adjustments on my guitars.  He struggled along for a bunch of years building custom electric guitars and doing various warranty repairs, bow rehairing & so forth for local music shops, while building the occasional violin, lute & etc.  I'm happy to see him doing well in the electric violin business; he's a fantastic craftsman and an exceptionally nice guy, he always has time to talk to anyone who stops by or phones (which, of course, may be why your fiddle is late...)!  Good luck -Steve W.

Offline Bob

Level 5 Super Combination Combination
« Reply #40 on: Apr 02, 2004, 07:07:28 PM »
I'd agree entirely. As the person who acts as his agent in the UK I find John not only entirely honest and reliable - but I also (as a luthier myself) appreciate his skills, enthusiasm and uncompromising attitude towards making electric violins. There's little in the way of commercial compromise in his work and if only for this reason I'm extremely proud to sell his instruments over here - and this is something I only really feel about a few items - Arcus bows being another. One of these days I'd like to make the journey to California to visit him and talk in person... I suspect its a long way off though. :(

Offline rcc

« Reply #41 on: Apr 03, 2004, 06:15:45 AM »
As I work my way thrugh the seven stages of talking yourself into spending way more money than you intended:  The Coda Classic costs a bunch more than the Conservatory, and a lot of the difference seems finish, bow case,  etc., plus 1/2 gram more weight.  I am not sure that at my level of playing I can justify the hundreds of dallars more.  Talk about a ten dollar horse and a fifty dollar saddle (going out west to punch Texas cattle).

Is the Classic worth the extra money compared to the Conservatory?

It very much depends on the bow.  In my experience, the Classic bows *tend* to project better and tend to have a rounder tone.  But different bows will vary, the balance and handling will vary, and how the bow interacts with your particular violin will vary.

You just have to try them and see for yourself.  Make sure to play them for someone too because often there will be something about the sound that may not show up as being significantly different to the player that will show up as very noticeable to a listener even a few feet away.

Good luck.

BTW, if you can find them, I highly recommend trying the Eastman Cadenza Artist and the Arcolla.  They're cheap and quite good.  In the higher price range, if you can find them, the Spiccatos can be good, too.

- Ray

Offline Alan Kroeger

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Global Grinch

• Total Badges: 32
    Windows User Level 6 Invisible
« Reply #42 on: Apr 05, 2004, 03:05:19 PM »
it was a bit heavy for my taste, but maybe this is something i can get used to. i'm used to playing with a wider space between the leather strip and the nose of the bow too, so once i receive my replacement bow, i should get that adjusted.

Really too heavy! how light is your current woody?
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra editing and avatar privileges.

Offline fidla

« Reply #43 on: Apr 06, 2004, 09:27:27 PM »
i received my musciary bow last week, but grrrr! the tip of it was chipped! i did have a chance to try it out though... it was a bit heavy for my taste, but maybe this is something i can get used to. i'm used to playing with a wider space between the leather strip and the nose of the bow too, so once i receive my replacement bow, i should get that adjusted. i can't really tell what the bow is like before getting the adjustment, since it feels awkward for me to play with like that.

Don't settle for it!  Send it back!  There's no reason to accept damaged goods.

Go with an Arcola CF.  I'm surprised Shar sent you something like that!

Offline Leon Grizzard

« Reply #44 on: Apr 07, 2004, 04:18:26 PM »
I played some CF bows a few days ago, and really liked the Spicatto Arpege.  (It just kills me that I can tell the difference between it and some less expensive bows, with the financial implications).  For a little less, I can get a Coda Conservatory, which I have not tried yet.   One merchant told me Coda has had some manufacturing problems, specifically that a plug on the bows tends to pop off, requiring you to send the bow back for repair.  Anybody heard this?

Offline chifiddler

« Reply #45 on: Apr 08, 2004, 09:24:32 PM »
Nope, never heard about that!! It is a very reliable bow for me!

Offline Mia

« Reply #46 on: Apr 20, 2004, 08:59:57 AM »
i'm not quite sure how light my "woody" is (that sounds pretty dirty, by the way. just sayin'...)  but i got my musicary replacement bow (black) and it RULES. i'm enjoying it very much, using it on tour right now. it's very durable and marc is right! it *does* have a great bite to it. i'm actually not minding that it's heavier than my regular uh... woody? (i'm sorry, i really can't stop giggling. i think maybe i'm a perv. :( okay, i'll shut up and go to bed now.)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2004, 09:00:43 AM by bathyspheric »

Offline Leon Grizzard

« Reply #47 on: Apr 29, 2004, 04:52:58 PM »
I just bought a slightly used Spicatto Arpege CF bow from a local shop at a discount (the owner has gigged a little with it), and am just tickled pink.   The difference between this bow and my Meinel pernambucco from Shar is enormous.  It is much louder, has a warmer tone, is much easier to play faster, and really sits on or hugs the strings.  

I have been working on slow bows, especially to get a better tone on the bass strings, and it is much easier to produce a slow, even tone.  Yahoo!

I tried a number of other CF bows in similar (mostly a bit lower) price range, and any of them would have been more than fine for my intermediate level, especially the Coda Conservatory, but this bow was the best choice for a variety of reasons.

I know that the virtues I have observed would have obtained with a wooden bow upgrade also, but anyway, I'm very happy.

(I'm not sure that it plays too much more in tune than my other bows however)
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2004, 08:06:30 PM by Leon Grizzard »

Offline gilly

• Use the Bow, Luke.

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2004, 06:40:35 AM »
I am also looking for a cf bow but no one in this area carries them. Is it possible to get a bow on approval or even a couple to choose from. Are there any stores that do this. I really want to try before I buy and my vision doesn't allow me to drive any great distance to find  a bow. Some of my students are using fiber glass and I don't want to have to get one of them. That is what the local shop has.
Meeko

Offline natnot

• Cupboard Dweller
  • Mini Bree!
    • Natnot's homepage

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2004, 11:17:27 AM »
I am also looking for a cf bow but no one in this area carries them. Is it possible to get a bow on approval or even a couple to choose from. Are there any stores that do this. I really want to try before I buy and my vision doesn't allow me to drive any great distance to find  a bow. Some of my students are using fiber glass and I don't want to have to get one of them. That is what the local shop has.
Meeko

I don't know where you are based, but if you are anywhere in the US Shar does a bow approval service (I couldn't post a direct link but it's in the bow section of their online store, they let you try up to 4 bows for a week).

There are probably other shops that do this too, but I can't think of any right now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal