Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Why so Hard!  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator
  • I've been drinking downstream from the herd again.

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Level 5 Super Combination Combination
Why so Hard!
« on: Jun 07, 2011, 11:00:42 PM »
I got into the habit of writing tunes on the PC. It's for me because I get an idea of what it will sound like at the correct tempo. I understand that some of those pieces will require a bit of practice to get them down but here is the crux.

I forget myself and write music beyond my playing ability. I write these really cool sounding passages that I try to play on the fiddle and I find that I suck. Dawgone things are hard to play.

Here it is. Compose on the violin and you know you will be able to play it. Problem is that you can't really reach out there to create stuff that is within your grasp but you'd have to practice it for a while. Use the PC to sound out a midi and you get a souless yet otherwised skilled performance. The PC doesn't care about skill. My human fingers are a different story.

I don't really have an issue here but I thought the topic would make for fair conversation.

Offline Pete Hartley

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary
Re: Why so Hard!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2011, 12:15:29 AM »
Hire someone else to play it.

I've just finished recording a new CD, for one of the tracks I wanted a sting section, so I got a local arranger to write out a three part (Violin 1, violin 2, and viola).

Since I'm not much of a viola player and I can't read the clef, I got my friend Sally to play the viola and 2nd violin.

Anyway as we got on with multi tracking the parts it occurred to me that I might as well let Sally play the top line as well. I mean why should I play on it if Sally can do it better, plus I would probably phrase it different.

So I stuck to being the recording engineer and Sally did a great job.

Then I got to do the impro jazz stuff between the vocals.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2011, 12:56:59 AM »
English composer Brian Ferneyhough writes scores so outrageously complicated and difficult that they are simply unperformable as written. This is entirely the point. Ferneyhough believes that virtuosic performers frequently end up enslaved by the scores they perform, mere extensions of the composer’s intention. But because a perfect performance of his scores is impossible, the performer must satisfice, that is, cut corners, set priorities, reduce, simplify, get the gist, let certain things go and emphasize others. The performer can’t avoid interpreting the score their own way, becoming personally involved; Ferneyhough’s work asks, he says, not for “virtuosity but a sort of honesty, authenticity, the exhibition of his or her own limitations.”

Christian, Brian (2011). The Most Human Human: What Talking with Computers Teaches Us About What It Means to Be Alive (p. 158). Doubleday. Kindle Edition.

I will posit that simplifying what you wrote to make it playable, even "on the fly" can make a good fiddle tune... :)
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Offline skipjackrc4

• Total Badges: 17
    Level 4 Third year Anniversary Search
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2011, 03:11:14 AM »
Just have little beeps and whistles on the computer play it.  Throw an incredibly simple, repetitive drum beat in and call it techno.  No need for real instruments.  Problem solved.

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2011, 03:51:22 AM »
Pete,

Well said. You're hired!

Mat,

You're right brother. I have taken to performing one tune per show that I improvise on the spot. I record it then take it home and tweak it on the PC. I have to then see if I took the playability out of it. It's a vicious circle but still fun.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 04:26:26 AM by Mark Cordova »

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2011, 04:44:13 AM »
For kicks I put the part that I didn't want to deal with back into the tune. The A and B parts are rather easy. I got derailed on the C part.  Edit - It sounds like the midi was slowed down by about 70%. Ah well, Maybe it's a good learning tempo for some.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal