Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

If you've forgotten your password or username, email madfiddler (link on the left of page).

Author Topic: Rosin oddness, curious if anyone knows how come....  (Read 1047 times)

Offline zaivanbuijs

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Apple User
Rosin oddness, curious if anyone knows how come....
« on: Apr 27, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Last couple months I've been playing my 5 string fiddle. On the other fiddles I played I never had rosin cake up on the strings in the same way it does on that 5 string. Prims for strings, same as I've been using for a couple years now on all fiddles. On the other fiddles rosin caked on the string, but was easy to get off with use of a cloth, or cork, or scratching it off with a nail,and the string would be completely clean. Now on that 5 string the rosin sticks on the strings very bad. It's hard to scratch it all off. There's a thin film of blackened rosin sticking to the string, and on top that the same white coating of rosin I was used to seeing. The white coating comes off ok, but the blackened thin layer stuck to the string is a damn to get off. Haven't resorted to using alcohol to get it off, just a looooot of scratching and it eventually comes off. Just curious if anyone can explain why this happens. Can't think of anything different. Same rosin, same brand strings. Just a different fiddle.

Even though this is a serious question, and I'd love to figure out the how come, I do welcome any shenanigans and silliness in this here thread ;)

Offline alwyswinn

• Total Badges: 25
    Apple User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
Re: Rosin oddness, curious if anyone knows how come....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
It is clear by the presence of the blackness that tiny ninjas are attacking your string.  Sake is the only answer leave some in your case over night and your problem is solved.  Glad I could help.

No really do play the 5 string any differently.  Are you using more rosin than on the 4 strings to get that c string moving do you clean them every time you play?

Offline zaivanbuijs

• Total Badges: 27
    Search Tenth year Anniversary Apple User
Re: Rosin oddness, curious if anyone knows how come....
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »
Right, ninjas, it's so obvious! Hard to believe I didn't think of that myself   :-[

I do think I may be rosining more then with the 4-string fiddles, but not so much to get the C to sound (initially). When I first started playing the 5 again after it'd been in a case for a couple years it was hard to get sound off the A string, the fiddle had gone to sleep and boy oh boy did it need a lot of waking up. After a couple days I changed the A string, remembering that I had put a used one on it seeing as I broke the A string back then when putting the set on (blonde moment, I suppose). The rest of the set hadn't been played much, they were still 'good to go'. I think I may still be rosining a bit more frequently then I used to, but not a lot.

I've cleaned the strings good now, using alcohol, and now will go test without rosining up to see if there is going to be black-ish film on the strings again. Also, next time at the shop I'll pick up some Sake, just in case. ;D

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal